Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I find your lack of faith disturbing, said Bill Gates...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: I find your lack of faith disturbing, said Bill Gates... Reply with quote

As a benefit to you, the MS Windows user, Microsoft has included this feature in Win XP SP1.

Don't miss the link (mentioned in the above story) covering the Trojan EULA SP1 uses (and 2k SP3).

No, really, Microsoft has your best interests in mind.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
kyron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that just adds to the meat I have against using M$ products...people still wonder why I hate M$ with such a passion! I've even come to the point of barely being able to stand using the products they discust me so much!
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Too much UT Reply with quote

I played a lot of Unreal Tournament during the last few months, and now whenever I think of Bill Gates he's headless, and I hear a voice saying "Head shot!". The other recurring image is where I'm a counter-terrorist sent in to Redmond to eliminate Microsoft... How's that for hatred with a passion?
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you guys need help....

there's a pretty simple fix though. if you don't like it, don't use it. sure, gates may have some cut-throat business tactics and a sub-par OS with revamped legacy code. and sure, msft may not have actually created anything with their name on it, but so what?

let bill gates do whatever the hell he wants.

you've got gentoo. life is good.
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:

let bill gates do whatever the hell he wants.

you've got gentoo. life is good.

Except that Bill and friends want to take that away from you. We need to be proactive about the threat that MS poses to Linux because they would gladly take away your ability to use your computer as you see fit if they thought it would make a few more dollars.

That said, I don't hate Microsoft or the products just because they are Microsoft. I do hate their business practices because I think that they make things unfair for competitors and even threaten to remove our ability to run Linux (for example) on consumer-level hardware. I think that the anti-trust thing needs to happen in order to ensure that Microsoft cannot stifle emerging, potentially competitive technologies. After that, we should just let them be and let Linux stand on its own merits. Everyone wins with more competition because it not only allows more freedom of choice, but also forces Microsoft to improve their own products and keep their prices reasonable.

I'll respect Microsoft's right to do what they want when they start respecting my right to do what I want.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, right. If you take what I said in the context of the frustration I've felt at what Microsoft is doing now and the fear of what they might do to computing over the next few years, I don't think it would be that unreasonable.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
sounds like you guys need help....there's a pretty simple fix though. if you don't like it, don't use it.

I am concerned about the fact that proprietary document formats (MS-word, Excel, MSHTML) are considered acceptable archival and exchange formats. I don't care what application someone uses to create or edit a document, but I am offended when they presume that I will make the same choice. I think that proprietary storage formats are incredibly insidious, because they mean that the author no longer controls their document. The tollbooth company can extort money from document authors simply for them to access their own documents.

I am completely incredulous that anybody continues to allow themselves to be blackmailed in this manner.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: