Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
9/11 - Take some time to remember this day!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: 9/11 - Take some time to remember this day! Reply with quote

Dear fellow Gentoo users and other creatures surfing this board.

Today it is 1 years since the tradegy of WTC, Pentagon and grassy field in Pennsylvania. I just want to take this opportunity to ask everyone to think about what happened, how it has affected your life and how we all can make this world a better place to live.

We all bicker from time to time about many strange things, esp here in the "Off the wall" forum. But, remember: We are all of the same race, the human race! We should work together to make our insignificant planet a good place to live, for us, for our children and for those who will come long after we have died. Stop fighting over politics, religion, "race" or what have you. Unite as one race, one civilazation and work together.

Peace to all my friends and to everyone else!

Erik

"9/11 - Never again!
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this may be sacrilegious to say, is anyone else really, really sick of the overblown media coverage of this event?

Yes, 9/11 was a terrible tragedy and no, we should never allow ourselves to forget it. I know how horrific the events were. I will forever have the image of plane #2 impacting the second tower burned in my mind. I will never, ever forget that day. Today has certainly been an introspective day for me and I've spoken at length with my friends, family and co-workers about it. Together, we have helped each other grieve and we have helped each other come to terms with what happened.

That said, the more media coverage I see of all this, the more I feel like they're somehow cheapening the moment and even sensationalizing it to some degree. They certainly haven't helped in any fashion that I can see...

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
While this may be sacrilegious to say, is anyone else really, really sick of the overblown media coverage of this event?
Yep. I was tired of it around December. I think the World needs to pay more attention to preventing future terrorism everywhere. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with an attack on Iraq, but I think Europe (and others) shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the danger. As well, I think Saudi Arabia has proven to be, shall I say, quirky?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
klieber wrote:
Yep. I was tired of it around December. I think the World needs to pay more attention to preventing future terrorism everywhere. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with an attack on Iraq, but I think Europe (and others) shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the danger. As well, I think Saudi Arabia has proven to be, shall I say, quirky?

Words well spoken, my friends.

I agree that the media, as always, is ruining the real deal. It is not about showing everyone and re-running the horrible images from that day. It is about starting with ourselves and try to make this a one-time event.
As Kurt said so very well, it should be a day for going into yourself and not about telling the whole world, because everyone knows how bad it was.

Please take a moment to stop what you all are doing and start to think about what can be done to make sure it will never happen again.

Talk to your neighbours, don't be afraid if someone has a different skin color. Reach out a hand and give.

Peace!
Erik

"9/11 - never again!"
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media has defidently pissed me off about 911. Also the gove using Patriotism as a reaon to violate personal liberty really pisses me off.

ebrostig wrote:

Talk to your neighbours, don't be afraid if someone has a different skin color. Reach out a hand and give.

uless its a really weird one (blue, green, etc)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
uless its a really weird one (blue, green, etc)
Unless, of course, her tongue is pierced. :wink:

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last evening i watched a docu about 911. It was sort of depressing to see this huge tower (the north tower) burning for quite a time and then collaps. I imagined myself sitting in the 125th floor admiring the landscape an then .... panic .... desaster .... no way out ....

I know each minor war has much more casualties (how many are to be expected in the planned attack in Iraq, some 100.000 maybe?) but this was such an impressing nightmare .

But, anyway, what really made me wonder was the fact that those two towers just collapsed into a heap of dust. I thought that a modern concrete building should be more stable at least some parts, at least of the framework, should remain.

Greets
Sulu
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulu wrote:
I thought that a modern concrete building should be more stable at least some parts, at least of the framework, should remain.

On the contrary, I think that the engineers that built the WTC should be incredibly proud of how well their creation stood up. It wasn't the impact that took the towers down: it was the immense heat of burning jet fuel that melted the superstructure. The fact that the towers stood up long enough to evacuate so many people is IMO an engineering feat that should be commended.
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Think you are right. Just remembered somebody told me that if concrete gets to hot it looses its structure, enclosed water causes steam explosions. That explains the time it took until it collapsed. The burning fuel continuously damaged the structures until ...

This should not be seen as a technical discussion without compassion. I just was so saddened to see that the north tower stood there for so long, burning, severely damaged, but there was hope.. And finally to come down.

Sad story.
Hopefully the US wont become a big-brother-is-watching you country because of several "patriot acts". For me this would mean that the enemy has scored.

Sulu
NiklasH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. It's frightening to see how the US government is using 'patriotism' as an excuse for passing ever more repressive laws. I saw a documentary yesterday about 911, and a relative to a couple that were killed in Pennsylvania said that if this continues, bin Ladin will have won in some way. I think that's totally true. If US residents don't start protesting loudly, you will have an Orwellian society before you know it.

I'm not an American, I'm from Sweden, but I'm concerned about this since US politics affect the world very much. In my country, three Ethiopians were deprived of all their resources, and it became illegal to even give them money for food. All this because of the US list of suspected terrorists that was presented to the UN. The three were recently totally aquitted, but they still haven't been informed of what the charges were.

And this is just one example, this is happening all over the world.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always here about the 3k people that died. I don't beleive I've ever heard that x thousand people escaped. Anyone ever read/hear a major news report estimating how many escaped from the 2 buildings?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Anyone ever read/hear a major news report estimating how many escaped from the 2 buildings?

No, but IIRC, the WTC housed over 55,000 employees of various companies.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Not to sound insensitive, but makes you think 3k isn't that much. Had they really done some planning and managed to block the exits....

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
klieber wrote:
Not to sound insensitive, but makes you think 3k isn't that much. Had they really done some planning and managed to block the exits....

Or even waited a couple of hours.

Remember, this happened around 8:45 to 9:10am, most people were on their way to work. Think if they had been able to hit it around 11am and in addition had hit the building lower, a lot more people would have been killed.

Erik
dizzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulu wrote:

(...)

Hopefully the US wont become a big-brother-is-watching you country because of several "patriot acts". For me this would mean that the enemy has scored.
Sulu

I think that the US is on that road now, and it doesn't look like it or it's people want to turn back. 1 is because people chose safety over personal liberty and 2 if you speak out against 1, you're branded as un-American and be treated as such.

I know this is a gross over-generalisation, but I was in the US recently and this is the vibe I picked up from talking to people (some friends/family and some complete strangers).

9/11 has certanly united the western nations, but there is an undertone of malevolence that is kinda creepy.
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulu wrote:
Last evening i watched a docu about 911. It was sort of depressing to see this huge tower (the north tower) burning for quite a time and then collaps. I imagined myself sitting in the 125th floor admiring the landscape an then .... panic .... desaster .... no way out ....

Ya, I was pretty depressed when I thought of all the innocent millions that the US Army has massacred over the years.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therobot wrote:
Ya, I was pretty depressed when I thought of all the innocent millions that the US Army has massacred over the years.

Since that isn't related to the thread topic and it is now the 13th...

Locking.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: