Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
lightdm doesnt autologin even if enabled
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: lightdm doesnt autologin even if enabled Reply with quote

so my light doesnt autologin me even tho i have this in lightdm.conf
Code:

autologin-user=picarica
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=xfce4-session


i wanted to have lightdm compiled without gtk flag but it wouldnt even start i wonder why, also how do fix this probelm ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: lightdm doesnt autologin even if enabled Reply with quote

picarica wrote:
so my light doesnt autologin me even tho i have this in lightdm.conf
Code:

autologin-user=picarica
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=xfce4-session


i wanted to have lightdm compiled without gtk flag but it wouldnt even start i wonder why, also how do fix this probelm ?
did you define that under [Seat:*] or under [LightDM] or where?
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: lightdm doesnt autologin even if enabled Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
picarica wrote:
so my light doesnt autologin me even tho i have this in lightdm.conf
Code:

autologin-user=picarica
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=xfce4-session


i wanted to have lightdm compiled without gtk flag but it wouldnt even start i wonder why, also how do fix this probelm ?
did you define that under [Seat:*] or under [LightDM] or where?

oh in Seat:*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes Seat is the correct location. also did you test the setup of the user? can you login manually?
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
yes Seat is the correct location. also did you test the setup of the user? can you login manually?


wel yeas, i can login manually i have to do it instead of autologin,
i just login everytime so that works
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have a chance to take a peek at the logs? i would recommend a grep "lightdm" on that. there might be some useful information.
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
did you have a chance to take a peek at the logs? i would recommend a grep "lightdm" on that. there might be some useful information.

by logs you mean dmesg ? well dmesg is totally empty of lightdm logs :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually i found this in /var/log

Code:

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.30.0, UID=0 PID=4402
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG:   [LightDM] contains unknown option autologin-user
[+0.00s] DEBUG:   [LightDM] contains unknown option autologin-user-timeout
[+0.00s] DEBUG:   [LightDM] contains unknown option user-session
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation local (GLocalVfs) for ‘gio-vfs’
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+0.00s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating user session
[+0.00s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf
[+0.01s] DEBUG: User picarica added
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+0.01s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested)
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process “plymouth” (No such file or directory)
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Launching process 4419: /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (automatic reaping requested) (fd close requested)
[+0.96s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 4419
[+0.96s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Got signal from X server :0
[+0.96s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+0.96s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) (child_setup specified)
[+0.96s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+0.96s] DEBUG: Session pid=4534: Started with service 'lightdm-autologin', username 'picarica'
[+0.98s] DEBUG: Session pid=4534: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+0.98s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session authenticated, running command
[+0.98s] DEBUG: Registering session with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
[+0.98s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) (child_setup specified)
[+0.98s] DEBUG: Session pid=4534: Running command /etc/lightdm/Xsession startxfce4
[+0.98s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/picarica
[+0.98s] DEBUG: Session pid=4534: Logging to .xsession-errors
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session 1
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to 1
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Session 1 is already active
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Session pid=4534: Exited with return value 1
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server, no sessions require it
[+0.99s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 4419
[+1.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Process 4419 exited with return value 0
[+1.28s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+1.28s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Active display server stopped, starting greeter
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+1.28s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+1.28s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+1.28s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+1.28s] DEBUG: Launching process 4590: /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+1.28s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+2.07s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 4590
[+2.07s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Got signal from X server :0
[+2.07s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+2.07s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) (child_setup specified)
[+2.07s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+2.07s] DEBUG: Session pid=4597: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'root'
[+2.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=4597: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+2.13s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session authenticated, running command
[+2.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=4597: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+2.13s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/root
[+2.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=4597: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log
[+2.14s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+2.14s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session 2
[+2.14s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to 2
[+2.14s] DEBUG: Session 2 is already active
[+2.41s] DEBUG: Greeter connected version=1.30.0 api=1 resettable=false
[+2.70s] DEBUG: Greeter start authentication for picarica
[+2.70s] DEBUG: Session pid=4628: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'picarica'
[+2.75s] DEBUG: Session pid=4628: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+2.75s] DEBUG: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+9.20s] DEBUG: Continue authentication
[+11.16s] DEBUG: Session pid=4628: Authentication complete with return value 7: Authentication failure
[+11.16s] DEBUG: Authenticate result for user picarica: Authentication failure
[+11.16s] DEBUG: Session pid=4628: Exited with return value 1
[+11.16s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+11.21s] DEBUG: Greeter start authentication for picarica
[+11.21s] DEBUG: Session pid=4636: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'picarica'
[+11.26s] DEBUG: Session pid=4636: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+11.26s] DEBUG: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+15.66s] DEBUG: Continue authentication
[+18.05s] DEBUG: Session pid=4636: Authentication complete with return value 7: Authentication failure
[+18.05s] DEBUG: Authenticate result for user picarica: Authentication failure
[+18.05s] DEBUG: Session pid=4636: Exited with return value 1
[+18.05s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+18.11s] DEBUG: Greeter start authentication for picarica
[+18.11s] DEBUG: Session pid=4640: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'picarica'
[+18.16s] DEBUG: Session pid=4640: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+18.16s] DEBUG: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+20.05s] DEBUG: Continue authentication
[+20.11s] DEBUG: Session pid=4640: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+20.11s] DEBUG: Authenticate result for user picarica: Success
[+20.11s] DEBUG: User picarica authorized
[+20.12s] DEBUG: Greeter sets language en_US.utf8
[+20.17s] DEBUG: Greeter requests session xfce
[+20.17s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping greeter; display server will be re-used for user session
[+20.17s] DEBUG: Terminating login1 session 2
[+20.18s] DEBUG: Session pid=4597: Sending SIGTERM
[+20.18s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Greeter closed communication channel
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Session pid=4597: Exited with return value 0
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Greeter stopped, running session
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Registering session with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
[+20.27s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) (child_setup specified)
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Session pid=4640: Running command /etc/lightdm/Xsession startxfce4
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/picarica
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Session pid=4640: Logging to .xsession-errors
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session 3
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to 3
[+20.27s] DEBUG: Session 3 is already active
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it says strange things about sessions being closed at the end. did you try to do this by other ways than lightdm?
also it recommends .xsession-errors do we have something there?
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
it says strange things about sessions being closed at the end. did you try to do this by other ways than lightdm?
also it recommends .xsession-errors do we have something there?

oh yeas i do have xsession error files also maybe this doesn work because i have xfce4-sesion as session in light.conf but my session IS xfce4-session but i have i3 as WM instead of xfwm

also i cannot seem to poweroff my pc throught xfce4-session-logout its all greyed out could this be related ?

i recently uninstalled consolekit all systemd dependencies and from that time i cannot

well here is that log i cannot paste it here or to pastebin or something like that because its too long
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you read the logs you would see a lot of these:
Code:
(wrapper-2.0:4760): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:23:04.160: Failed to parse /home/picarica/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini: Key file does not have group “Settings”


although i am now over asked how that works. my simple mind would say you have to add that files group owner to Settings. but as i have not seen this message before i just say nothing and let others to think about it.
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
well if you read the logs you would see a lot of these:
Code:
(wrapper-2.0:4760): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:23:04.160: Failed to parse /home/picarica/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini: Key file does not have group “Settings”


although i am now over asked how that works. my simple mind would say you have to add that files group owner to Settings. but as i have not seen this message before i just say nothing and let others to think about it.


well i created that file manually and this is inside its commented out so why is this a problem

Code:

#gtk-theme-name=Adapta-Nokto
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picarica wrote:
e3k wrote:
well if you read the logs you would see a lot of these:
Code:
(wrapper-2.0:4760): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:23:04.160: Failed to parse /home/picarica/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini: Key file does not have group “Settings”


although i am now over asked how that works. my simple mind would say you have to add that files group owner to Settings. but as i have not seen this message before i just say nothing and let others to think about it.


well i created that file manually and this is inside its commented out so why is this a problem

Code:

#gtk-theme-name=Adapta-Nokto

what do you mean by creating the file manually? settings.ini? it was not there?
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
picarica wrote:
e3k wrote:
well if you read the logs you would see a lot of these:
Code:
(wrapper-2.0:4760): Gtk-WARNING **: 13:23:04.160: Failed to parse /home/picarica/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini: Key file does not have group “Settings”


although i am now over asked how that works. my simple mind would say you have to add that files group owner to Settings. but as i have not seen this message before i just say nothing and let others to think about it.


well i created that file manually and this is inside its commented out so why is this a problem

Code:

#gtk-theme-name=Adapta-Nokto

what do you mean by creating the file manually? settings.ini? it was not there?


no it wasnt, i wanted to set a theme for GTK3 so i tried this it didint worked and i didnt delted it
sorry for late response
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so lets dont deal with GTK for now. you can delete the file later.
do you have any errors here?
/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
ok so lets dont deal with GTK for now. you can delete the file later.
do you have any errors here?
/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log


ye i postet that log here while ago ill do it again
here it is
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
e3k
Guru
Guru


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Inner Space

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for that. well where does your lightdm login end up? could you provide a screenshot?
_________________
((O.o))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picarica
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Aug 2018
Posts: 171

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3k wrote:
sorry for that. well where does your lightdm login end up? could you provide a screenshot?


what do you mean by end up? i just login and i am in my xfce4-session it works but it doesnt autologin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum