driver problems after new kernel.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kartoffel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: driver problems after new kernel. Reply with quote

I've compiled kernels in gentoo lot's of times before and I always follow it up with emerge alsa-driver nvidia-kernel today it didn't work correctly. I had tons of depmod errors in some modules so I deleted them and make mrproper and recompiled a new kernel.

Now everything works properly except modprobe can't find snd-card-cmipci but it finds the snd-card-pcm-oss compatibility module. It is here /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.o the one that loads correctly is here
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r1/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.o

Why can it find one and not the other?

One a less serious note, everytime I boot I get modprobe can't find modules nls_4237 and nls_8(something) Those numbers are probably wrong I forgot the paper I wrote them down on I'll post back with the correct ones later if I need to. I figure I forgot to compile some module in but I can't for the life of me figure out what module it is. I only get the message on boot up and it doesn't seem to cause any problems but I want to try to fix it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Kartoffel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some more info on the problem

the first error in the boot process is

*Failed to calculate dependencies
Failed to load snd-card-cmipci
Init: entering runlevel:3
ALSA driver is already running
ERROR Problem starting needed services
"alsa" was not started

I don't know if I made this clear enough in my first post but I am almost positive my config files are setup correctly because alsa has worked for a couple of months on this system.

Ignore the second part of the post I got that working now.
Thanks
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Did you... Reply with quote

Did you remember to "make modules modules_install" after compiling your kernel??

Derek
Kartoffel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Did you... Reply with quote

friedmud wrote:
Did you remember to "make modules modules_install" after compiling your kernel??

Derek

No but I did this --> make modules; make modules_install
Roy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded my kernel on monday and I noticed that the new kernel had an incorrect EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile.

The extraversion was set to '-gentoo-r2' instead of '-gentoo-r1'. As a result all the modules were installed into /lib/modules/2.4.29-gentoo-r2/, and reinstalling Alsa failed because it was looking for the linux sources in /usr/src/linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r2/

After changing the extraversion everything works fine now.
Mr. Atoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a similar messge when I upgraded ALSA from 0.5x to 0.9x. Check out htttp://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1997. This should get you going.

The names of the ALSA modules have CHANGED and the ALSA startup script has changed as well. Basically the "card" portion of the modules has been dropped and the new startup script is /etc/init.d/alsasoud.

To update the startup script, I ran:
Code:

rc-update del alsa default
rc-update add alsasound default

I also changed my /etc/modules.d/aliases to reflect the new driver names. Remember to do an "update-modules" after you modify this file.

AND...I REMOVED my sound card module(s) from the .etc.modules.autoload file. Appearently the new alsasound file handles this all by it self now. This is actually what made the "ALSA already started" message go away.

Good luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: