Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Honestly right now debt is hardly the most important issue.

Of course it's not. Your man's in power. Just jumped North of a trillion.

Don't blame only the Dems. The Republicans had control of all three groups of govt and did Jack all.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where are all your debt posts from 4 years ago?

Maybe they don't exist because your man was in power. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Congress during Obama's regime DOUBLED the debt, yet juniper was silent.

Christmas Lights Are Like Jeffrey Epstein, They Don't Hang Themselves.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

They are all there. I complained like hell during Obama's deficit low interest rate savings destroying environment.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:

They are all there. I complained like hell during Obama's deficit low interest rate savings destroying environment.
Too lazy to look. Perhaps you could link some of those posts. If they are plentiful, it shouldn't be too much trouble. :wink:

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:

Too lazy to look. Perhaps you could link some of those posts. If they are plentiful, it shouldn't be too much trouble. :wink:

I don't quite know how to look myself, but they are there. I have been a deficit hawk since I saw that high deficits and low rates go hand in hand, and low rates are killing the economy (in the US, UK and Canada and the EU). We saw the largest transfer of wealth from lower and middle class to the wealthy under Obama and Trump. Neither had a functioning economy; just low rates propping up an ever indebted consumer.

What's clear is that Trump is much worse in this regard. He campaigned on the phony recovery and now has embraced. He has record deficits when the economy is running full steam (I think its a load of bull that it is a good economy, but that's the story he is sticking to). And he is pressuring the fed to make things worse.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
What's clear is that Trump is much worse in this regard.

Obama doubled the deficit of every single president before him, combined. When Trump can claim the same +1, your point will be valid.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:

Obama doubled the deficit of every single president before him, combined. When Trump can claim the same +1, your point will be valid.

Give him a chance. It's only been 2 years and a bit.

Trump's unemployment figures were below 5 when he came into power. Obama's was north of 10, maybe even 11.

At this stage in the cycle, the govt should be running a surplus.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
Honestly right now debt is hardly the most important issue.

Of course it's not. Your man's in power. Just jumped North of a trillion.
Your not listening. It has nothing to do with who is in power. It has to do with one party actively trying to subvert law and order in order to replace it with active discrimination based on sex, national origin, and skin color. They are also trying to eliminate the right to due process and freedom of speech. That is way more important than something like the national debt which won't affect 99% of people.

Heck, CA is basically trying to make small business illegal right now. You think that isn't going to affect people?

juniper wrote:
Don't blame only the Dems. The Republicans had control of all three groups of govt and did Jack all.
Who ever said Reps don't get blame for this? Worry about the big issue before you cry over the small ones.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:

Give him a chance. It's only been 2 years and a bit.

Trump's unemployment figures were below 5 when he came into power. Obama's was north of 10, maybe even 11.

At this stage in the cycle, the govt should be running a surplus.
Maybe it would be more productive to vent your fiscal frustrations on those that actually craft the budget. Yes, Trump could have vetoed Congress' budget, yet it would have been political sabotage. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schummer would have been in front of their allies in the press decrying the evil Republicans holding the country hostage with their war on women, children, people of color, and the alphabet community.

And Muso makes a good point, as usual. Why not give it a break until Trump breaks Barry's record after giving, I repeat, giving trillions to his Wall Street masters.

And my next question for you. What social programs would you be willing to see abolished? You do realize that two programs, Social Security and Medicare, both of which are mandated spending, take up over 60% of the Federal Budget. Slashing military spending (which I know is your kneejerk response) is not going to make up the difference in spending, so what is juniper's solution? Higher taxes are not the answer, the Feds are already taking in record amounts from the paychecks of the citizens.

George Orwell
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
juniper wrote:
Jaglover wrote:
If Trump wins another term then there will be America for four more years. Linky

And here is another piece of reading. What is ahead.

while it appears most Trump supporters have completely forgotten about deficits, four more years of Trump and your debt should hit 30 trillion. Now that we have entered a political climate where neither conservatives nor liberals care about the debt, this is going to get bad.

I wouldn’t worry that much - as soon as Democrats take control, Republicans will suddenly remember how bad deficits are.
I believe it was Pelosi's House that wrote the last budget.

George Orwell
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Maybe it would be more productive to vent your fiscal frustrations on those that actually craft the budget.

Dems only just took over the house, and the deficits didn't just start. Where were the complaints when the repubs had the house?

Quote:
Yes, Trump could have vetoed Congress' budget, yet it would have been political sabotage. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schummer would have been in front of their allies in the press decrying the evil Republicans holding the country hostage with their war on women, children, people of color, and the alphabet community.

he was supposed to drain the swamp, yet this is precisely what the swamp does. Dems spend like they like and in return the republicans get to do the same.

Quote:
And Muso makes a good point, as usual. Why not give it a break until Trump breaks Barry's record after giving, I repeat, giving trillions to his Wall Street masters.

So, is that the new anger rule? Deficits only matter when the break records? I don't have to tell you that leads to a lot of debt.

Quote:
And my next question for you. What social programs would you be willing to see abolished? You do realize that two programs, Social Security and Medicare, both of which are mandated spending, take up over 60% of the Federal Budget. Slashing military spending (which I know is your kneejerk response) is not going to make up the difference in spending, so what is juniper's solution? Higher taxes are not the answer, the Feds are already taking in record amounts from the paychecks of the citizens.

My reading of this is that social security + med is a lot less than that. Say 40-50%. Cutting military spending will make a massive dent in the budget, and many argue, even on the right, a lot of the spending is entirely unnecessary. Romney had an excellent plan of greatly simplifying the tax code. That'd be another good start.

But you are right. Something has to give in SS and medicare. Something needs to be done, it isn't going to be popular. One thing that Trump could do is stop cutting taxes to pay for his out of control spending. Deficit spending is cheap and popular (nobody like taxes now) and, like an ordinary politician, Trump is doing the easy thing.

Spending cuts are unpopular. You need a real leader to bring that in. It's obvious that Trump just isn't one.

Quote:
wouldn’t worry that much - as soon as Democrats take control, Republicans will suddenly remember how bad deficits are.

Indeed. But they will have little credibility.

you and Muso are right that the Dems are, certainly currently, unlikely to solve your budget problems, and so I would have a lot of sympathy if you were backing a fiscal hawk as a republican. But you aren't. He's an unprincipled swampy politician, like everyone else.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federal Mandatory Spending

Quote:
Mandatory spending is estimated to be $2.841 trillion for FY 2020. The two largest mandatory programs are Social Security and Medicare. That's 60% of all federal spending. It's almost three times more than the military budget......Social Security is the single largest federal budget item. The FY 2020 budget, Table S-4, estimates it will cost $1.102 trillion.

George Orwell
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Quote:
Mandatory spending is estimated to be $2.841 trillion for FY 2020. The two largest mandatory programs are Social Security and Medicare. That's 60% of all federal spending. It's almost three times more than the military budget......Social Security is the single largest federal budget item. The FY 2020 budget, Table S-4, estimates it will cost $1.102 trillion.

Democrat wet dream laws we've been stuck with for ages,
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea’s state media on Friday stepped up a personal attack on former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden for slandering its leader, calling the Democratic presidential candidate “a rabid dog” that needed to be put down.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-biden/north-korea-calls-u-s-candidate-biden-a-rabid-dog-nearing-death-idUSKBN1XP0A6

looks like besides Russia Trump has found new friends in North Korea.
How is it now with the axes of evil? Is the bad the new good?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Quote:

Fair enough. The source I looked up had it near but under 50%. I am happy to take yours.

But you are conflating budget with deficit. You can pay for the budget without a deficit. I am all for cutting spending, but you are correct that the entitlement programs need cutting.

You have to accept, however, revenue needs to go up. That's either through lower taxes + economic growth (nope. Trump's first crack at bat on that didn't work), or higher taxes.

Every govt has spending. you have to pay for them either through the deficit or revenue. Trump though isn't draining the swamp, he is doing exactly what you would expect of a politician - leaving the hard decisions for a future govt.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:

Quote:

it's not one sided. i agree it's much harder to cut than not spend at all, but we haven't seen spending restraints for about 20 years.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:

Quote:

it's not one sided. i agree it's much harder to cut than not spend at all, but we haven't seen spending restraints for about 20 years.

Most of the money goes to "entitlements" which keep growing year after year and were put in place by democrats. I say cut it all, but that won't happen. What I won't do is pretend that this is Trump's fault.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:

Quote:

Most of the money goes to "entitlements" which keep growing year after year and were put in place by democrats. I say cut it all, but that won't happen. What I won't do is pretend that this is Trump's fault.

Some of the spending is new under his watch, as are the tax cuts. so, a lot of the deficit is.

he's the president and his party controlled all three branches until recently. it's odd to me to blame the past people in this post only, and not the present, when the present clearly shares the blame. If you are in favour of cutting it all, why are you in favour of him, of all people?
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:

Quote:

Some of the spending is new under his watch, as are the tax cuts. so, a lot of the deficit is.

he's the president and his party controlled all three branches until recently. it's odd to me to blame the past people in this post only, and not the present, when the present clearly shares the blame. If you are in favour of cutting it all, why are you in favour of him, of all people?

Ohhhh. He's the presideeeent. Must be over the queen by then.
Might be the wrong thread....
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:

Quote:

Fair enough. The source I looked up had it near but under 50%. I am happy to take yours.

But you are conflating budget with deficit. You can pay for the budget without a deficit. I am all for cutting spending, but you are correct that the entitlement programs need cutting.

You have to accept, however, revenue needs to go up. That's either through lower taxes + economic growth (nope. Trump's first crack at bat on that didn't work), or higher taxes.

Every govt has spending. you have to pay for them either through the deficit or revenue. Trump though isn't draining the swamp, he is doing exactly what you would expect of a politician - leaving the hard decisions for a future govt.
Revenue HAS been going up. It is at all time highs.

George Orwell
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:

Quote:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=pwWC

Is that a bad measure of revenue? Honest question.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Does all rational criticism go out the window when your man is in? Of course you can make revenue go up if you don't have to balance the budget. Just drop taxes and magic!
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:

Does all rational criticism go out the window when your man is in? Of course you can make revenue go up if you don't have to balance the budget. Just drop taxes and magic!

Lowering taxes increases revenue to the government (to a point, there is a limit to where you'll just starve it to death... aka UTOPIA). The more money in the hands of the people who earn it means they have more ability to grow their businesses and investments. That means the ability to exapnd, hire more people, build new offices and factories, and expand their markets. It also means they have more money to do things like home improvements... which means hiring contractors, who then have more money, etc etc.

Some democrats are on record (including Obama himself) saying that even if they'd get more revenue from lower taxes, they'd still raise them for "fairness". "Fairness" is yet another NewSpeak definition meaning punish the high earners.

With the left, everything is "class warfare"... and they've now expanded that into racial, sexual, religious, et al.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:

Huh? If dropping taxes increases revenue, that’s a win win, and everyone should be in favor of it.

The only way that actually happens though is if you are on the right side of the Phillips curve, which nobody sane believes right now.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Huh? If dropping taxes increases revenue, that’s a win win, and everyone should be in favor of it.

Obama opposed it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 26 of 30

Jump to: