Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Muso wrote:
I have permanent residency in Japan, so I'm not sure why you're trying to teach me about spreading my roots.

Also, I use more than one VPN and Tor.

The point is to let go of what you cannot control and focus on what you can control. That way, you get more juice out of your life.
You have little time but a lot of things to do.

Thanks, kid.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:

You are like 16 years old, aren't you?

Christmas Lights Are Like Jeffrey Epstein, They Don't Hang Themselves.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
marry a foreign woman

Good luck getting any woman to marry you! :wink: :lol:

Christmas Lights Are Like Jeffrey Epstein, They Don't Hang Themselves.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
By the way, I'm learning japanese at home. こんにちは.

It can be written in kanji : 今日は

First kanji means now, the second kanji means Sun or day. Withou the は at the end you would read that combination of kanji as Kyo (meaning today). With the は it reads as Kon Nichi Wa.

今晩は being, Kon Ban wa, or good evening. 晩 meaning night (Ban or yu)
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Muso , can you ask your wife if she thinks asian people can read faster their text books as the rest of the world?
And how did they look up a sign they didn't know before the digital age?
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
asian people can read faster their text books as the rest of the world?

Depends on the person.

ulenrich wrote:

Rote memory. It's how I learned as well.
o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese characters have different elements that you can use to help you when you need to look them up. For example radicals are common simple characters that would be integrated into a complex character.

Here is a chart.

妹妹 pronounced mei4 mei4 (like may, the month. The 4 means you use the fourth tone there are 4 tones. Fourth tone starts high and drops to a low.) Looking at the characters, there are 2. Just looking at one, notice how they appear to have two parts a left and a right. If you look at the radical chart, you'll see that the left side is similar to the character for female. Knowing radicals helps you chunk out the parts of a character to better understand them. They sometimes also help you with context. 妹妹 means younger sister. So the 女 helps you to see that this is a female person.

From there you can use a dictionary to find characters that have the radicals you see and then count the number of strokes. Though you would also need to have a handle on how to write Chinese characters. 女 has 3 strokes for example, not 4.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
ulenrich wrote:
asian people can read faster their text books as the rest of the world?

Depends on the person.
When we train the fast reading technique we try to see whole words as pictures. Therefore I assumed asian people can read faster their scripture as every semantic term is of one or two signs only.

Quote:
ulenrich wrote:

Rote memory. It's how I learned as well.
Nowadays a scientist can copy paste a new sign from a textbook into a scientific dictionary and click the search button. But I cannot imagine how asian scientists would have handled a new scientific term in pre-digital times. How could they study in their youth after all, when they began with their subject? They must have had a dictionary alike technique similar to our abc ordering ...
o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is. I described how it works in Mandarin.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o'bogamol wrote:
Chinese characters have different elements that you can use to help you when you need to look them up. For example radicals are common simple characters that would be integrated into a complex character.

Here is a chart.

妹妹 pronounced mei4 mei4 (like may, the month. The 4 means you use the fourth tone there are 4 tones. Fourth tone starts high and drops to a low.) Looking at the characters, there are 2. Just looking at one, notice how they appear to have two parts a left and a right. If you look at the radical chart, you'll see that the left side is similar to the character for female. Knowing radicals helps you chunk out the parts of a character to better understand them. They sometimes also help you with context. 妹妹 means younger sister. So the 女 helps you to see that this is a female person.

From there you can use a dictionary to find characters that have the radicals you see and then count the number of strokes. Though you would also need to have a handle on how to write Chinese characters. 女 has 3 strokes for example, not 4.

The pictogram style of Kanji makes so much sense.

木 = tree
森 = forest

女 = woman
姦 = noisy / mischief

o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
女 = woman
姦 = noisy / mischief
Better not let any social justice types see that. They will start protesting to have Kanji rewritten! And I'm already having enough trouble trying to learn 3 new alphabets! I don't need SJWs trying to colonize another language! :lol: Trying to de-gender Spanish is annoying enough.

@ulenrich, kanji is not necessarily one word per character. 映画 means movie and 問題 is problem, for example. So it isn't as simple as memorizing a few thousand characters to read fast. As for scientific words, in Japanese you would write them in a second alphabet called Katakana which is used for borrowed words or scientific phrases. In addition to that Furigana is often used which pairs the kanji with kana to indicate the pronunciation of a character. Very useful for learners!

Actually Hiragana and Katakana are much easier to read than English or German. Each character is a syllable and every syllable has equal time with no stress with some fairly simple pitch accent rules. That means that if you read a new word your chances of correct pronunciation is very high. Of course, 箸 (はし) chopsticks and 橋 (はし) bridge differ only by a rising and falling pitch accent and that is actually regional as to which way it goes. Fortunately there are not too many of those.

Funny enough, google actually translates "chopsticks" and "bridge" to 箸 and 橋 with the pronunciation "hashi" but "hashi" translates to bridge and "はし" is given as chopsticks with no other option. Google, you Fail! :twisted: (my kanji isn't strong enough to write those without help.)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
crocket
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Better not let any social justice types see that. They will start protesting to have Kanji rewritten! And I'm already having enough trouble trying to learn 3 new alphabets! I don't need SJWs trying to colonize another language! :lol: Trying to de-gender Spanish is annoying enough.

You are fully equipped to ban SJWs on this forum. SJWs are known for chronic negative criticism. Chronic negative criticism can be a cause for a ban. Show them your tough love ♥

The Doctor wrote:
Funny enough, google actually translates "chopsticks" and "bridge" to 箸 and 橋 with the pronunciation "hashi" but "hashi" translates to bridge and "はし" is given as chopsticks with no other option. Google, you Fail! :twisted: (my kanji isn't strong enough to write those without help.)

You can use ibus or fcitx to write kanji.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

You are fully equipped to ban SJWs on this forum. SJWs are known for chronic negative criticism. Chronic negative criticism can be a cause for a ban. Show them your tough love ♥
Descending to their level is not a victory :wink:

crocket wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

You can use ibus or fcitx to write kanji.
If I know the kanji, which in this case I don't. I've only been studying for a short time and I'm pushing off kanji until later. Although ibus has been giving me grief. I can't seem to get it to launch properly in i3 so it only plays well with certain applications. 1st world problems. Or in this case, Asia world problems? Idk.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: