Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ebuild using go get - fails to download packages from go
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hugbubby
n00b
n00b


Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tip.golang.org/cmd/go/#hdr-Modules_and_vendoring

^ Are any of you aware this exists
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hu
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 14270

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KatsuoRyuu wrote:
I understand all your points, and they make sense for most older languages.
They make sense in general, because they are lessons learned about how to maintain software well.
KatsuoRyuu wrote:
But the way we use Go/Rust/Node (this is mainly go) when developing, yes then it's a problem if you use the same for production.
I don't quite understand your point here. Are you saying it's accepted practice for developers to behave badly when developing, as long as your operations team insists on handling the production build sanely? Wouldn't it be better for the developers to do things right from the beginning, so the operations team just proofreads the build and makes it live, rather than writing their own build system to get everything working correctly?
KatsuoRyuu wrote:
But Go builds statically
Yes, this is a well known bug in Go. You can get it to build dynamically, but it's not really a recommended configuration.
KatsuoRyuu wrote:
Actually after this "Download" (go get -d) step we store our stuff in artifact and remove net connection on our CI, and only load from artifact store from that point. This is why I have a hard time seeing the problem.
From that description, it seems like the problem is that Go goes out of its way to break the build by not doing as you describe as a default.
hugbubby wrote:
https://tip.golang.org/cmd/go/#hdr-Modules_and_vendoring

^ Are any of you aware this exists
Yes. Vendoring is a nice euphemism for bundling, which is the more honest name for this bad practice. As I read the linked answer, this is only part of a solution though, because it still relies on go to download whatever it thinks is appropriate to bundle in. Instead, the required dependencies should be retrieved ahead of time and installed by the package manager. Go then only concerns itself with validating that what the package manager installed is actually acceptable according to the requested package's requirements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hugbubby
n00b
n00b


Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
<btdn> I never, for the life of me, understoof why people like dynamic linking.
<aiju> btdn: for the very same reason they believe in god
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GDH-gentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 20 Jul 2019
Posts: 102
Location: South America

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugbubby wrote:
Quote:
<btdn> I never, for the life of me, understoof why people like dynamic linking.
<aiju> btdn: for the very same reason they believe in god
Quote fight? :P
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-February/112459.html
Mark Felder wrote:
2) Shared system libraries exist for a reason and we intend to use them.
For a distribution, whose job is essentially to integrate a bunch of software packages and produce a coherent OS, dynamic linking makes complete sense. When the single instance of a shared library is updated (e.g. to fix a bug or vulnerability), every other software component that uses the library gets auto-updated almost without any additional actions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum