View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, "the ones you don't like." Agree with is perhaps a better phrasing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
My point was to point out the severity of CFAA charges (and in Swartz case, it was only for copying journal articles unusually, and the process was enough for him to commit suicide). See this for another example of CFAA charges. This juxtaposes to the fact that Assange has likely been given more severe charges than the CFAA.
Morality124 wrote:
I think you were replying to muso, but I would like to reiterate that I was trying to further elaborate the part of the quote you emphasized.
Your comments still seem to emphasize "bad because suicide." My point was that a reasonably healthy / normal person would not have committed suicide. That outcome directly relates to the "severity of the process"* and potentially the severity of the punishment for the crime.

* I'm not well read on the details of the case, but I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. From his wikipedia page:

Swartz declined a plea bargain under which he would have served six months in federal prison. Two days after the prosecution rejected a counter-offer by Swartz, he was found dead in his Brooklyn apartment, where he had hanged himself.

Yeah, six months in prison would suck. But then again, I try to avoid doing things that would land me in prison. I disagree with your framing of the process being what led to his suicide.
frank9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/10/assange-in-court/
Quote:
Before I get on to the blatant lack of fair process, the first thing I must note was Julian’s condition. I was badly shocked by just how much weight my friend has lost, by the speed his hair has receded and by the appearance of premature and vastly accelerated ageing. He has a pronounced limp I have never seen before. Since his arrest he has lost over 15 kg in weight.

But his physical appearance was not as shocking as his mental deterioration. When asked to give his name and date of birth, he struggled visibly over several seconds to recall both.
I will come to the important content of his statement at the end of proceedings in due course, but his difficulty in making it was very evident; it was a real struggle for him to articulate the words and focus his train of thought.

Until yesterday I had always been quietly sceptical of those who claimed that Julian’s treatment amounted to torture – even of Nils Melzer, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture – and sceptical of those who suggested he may be subject to debilitating drug treatments. But having attended the trials in Uzbekistan of several victims of extreme torture, and having worked with survivors from Sierra Leone and elsewhere, I can tell you that yesterday changed my mind entirely and Julian exhibited exactly the symptoms of a torture victim brought blinking into the light, particularly in terms of disorientation, confusion, and the real struggle to assert free will through the fog of learned helplessness.

There is no possible justification for this inhuman regime, used on major terrorists, being imposed on a publisher who is a remand prisoner.

I have been both cataloguing and protesting for years the increasingly authoritarian powers of the UK state, but that the most gross abuse could be so open and undisguised is still a shock. The campaign of demonisation and dehumanisation against Julian, based on government and media lie after government and media lie, has led to a situation where he can be slowly killed in public sight, and arraigned on a charge of publishing the truth about government wrongdoing, while receiving no assistance from “liberal” society.

Unless Julian is released shortly he will be destroyed. If the state can do this, then who is next?

That makes me so angry ....
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:cry:

It's ridiculous.
frank9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/19/sweden-drops-julian-assange-investigation?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

Yanis Varoufakis
https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1196792647584751619?s=21
Quote:

I don't suppose an apology is pending from those who, for years,
referred to Julian as 'rapist' and denied that the whole affair was
about shoving him in a supermax US black hole for the crime of
having exposed crimes against humanity committed in our name
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't they already drop the investigation while he was still refusing to return to face questioning and potential charges? That the investigation was dropped one or more times or otherwise abandoned does not prove or disprove guilt.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Didn't they already drop the investigation while he was still refusing to return to face questioning and potential charges? That the investigation was dropped one or more times or otherwise abandoned does not prove or disprove guilt.
no, the time window ran out while he skipped bail into the embassy. They recently re-opened the case
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is just semantics, but I do recall reading descriptions of the case being dropped. This however also mentions running out of time. But I didn't realize the issue of rape remained open:
Quote:
August 2015 - Swedish prosecutors drop their investigation into two allegations - one of sexual molestation and one of unlawful coercion - because they have run out of time to question him. But he still faces the more serious accusation of rape
Although it is from today, so that doesn't address how it might have been reported at the time. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-11949341
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's abrasively arrogant, effeminate, pathologically narcisstic Eurotrash with an anti-US penis-envy complex. I don't care what happens to him, as long as it's sufficiently humiliating.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: