Well, this sucks...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Well, this sucks... Reply with quote

Looks like Lennart is at it again. This guy truly hates Linux. All he sees in Linux are things he disagrees with and wants to change. Instead of doing the HUMAN thing and forking the Linux kernel and making Lennux or something to keep himself happy, he keeps forcing his views on millions of users. Linus should kick his butt right out of Github.

He is after logins, passwords, and home directories now. Sure it will break things, but everything should be in one place, right? There is even mention of storing SSH credentials in a damn JSON file along with ALL user info. And then there is encryption. Good luck recivering data if that JSON file corrupts! Then again systemd is flawless and things like log fiels would NEVER corrupt and prevent a system from booting right?

I feel we are reaching the point of the kernel being here only to serve a single process, systemd. It does everything! Networking, logins, init, etc etc. Soon you will have systemd-desktop. KDE, XFCE, Gnome, LXDE, and others will no longer exist. You boot systemd. Linux is gone.

https://hackaday.com/2019/10/16/pack-your-bags-systemd-is-taking-you-to-a-new-home/
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL YOUR HOME ARE BELONG TO US
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how Debian is going to handle this change. There are aspects of systemd that I like, but sometimes I think we just need to go back to System V.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not against systemd being a thing, I am simply against it being forced on me. I dislike it. It fails on so many levels. The author of the article I linked claims to dislike components being separate, but that is what makes Linux great. You have options to do whatever you want. Don't like Network Manager? Use something else. Don't like KDM or GDM? Use SDDM or any one of a handful of others. With systemd there is no choice. It handles networking and all kinds of crap. PAM is awesome because it allows things like joining an AD domain and doing both AD auth and local auth. Systemd does not do that as far as I know.

I suppose for a newbie Windows transplant it means any systemd-based distro is cake and not just Ubuntu. It makes switching from one distro to another simple. I was used to SysV and apt before Gentoo. Learning portage and OpenRC was a learning experience. If I had come from systemd to systemd, there would be no curve. With all that systemd is doing now it really feels like the kernel means nothing now. Everything is there to serve systemd. It's like Windows. You only have one choice. Why distros are bending over for this, and the desktop devs too, is beyond me. Linux was about choice, now we have almost no choice. Gentoo and a handful of others are all that is left.

Oh and I just found Alpine Linux and it appears to be systemd-free. It is binary so GREAT for servers, and I may begin using it on our new servers.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything is there to serve systemd. It's like Windows. You only have one choice.

It's because we are Zombies. The Desktop meme is a non-dead kind of creature without the blood of the living. Ms is working to put their Desktop on Linux to get rid of any of their security update chaos they have to perform without a filesystem having the inode abstraction layer.

To your cold comfort:
For sure there is Linux Desktop life having transformed into the ever surviving cockroach kind of insects. But be aware that single insects can be scrunched by agents of foreign country AI ... etc.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese are taking over desktop Linux and are going to use it as part of their intergenerational master plan to purify the world (i.e., make sub-humans of your offspring, which their increasingly ignorant and obese asses have kind of earned).
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, this sucks... Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
Looks like Lennart is at it again. This guy truly hates Linux. All he sees in Linux are things he disagrees with and wants to change. Instead of doing the HUMAN thing and forking the Linux kernel and making Lennux or something to keep himself happy, he keeps forcing his views on millions of users. Linus should kick his butt right out of Github.

He is after logins, passwords, and home directories now. Sure it will break things, but everything should be in one place, right? There is even mention of storing SSH credentials in a damn JSON file along with ALL user info. And then there is encryption. Good luck recivering data if that JSON file corrupts! Then again systemd is flawless and things like log fiels would NEVER corrupt and prevent a system from booting right?

I feel we are reaching the point of the kernel being here only to serve a single process, systemd. It does everything! Networking, logins, init, etc etc. Soon you will have systemd-desktop. KDE, XFCE, Gnome, LXDE, and others will no longer exist. You boot systemd. Linux is gone.

https://hackaday.com/2019/10/16/pack-your-bags-systemd-is-taking-you-to-a-new-home/

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1102062.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: