Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 3)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
So I have put it here

Fixed (and with luck that was the last one). :twisted:
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was. Everything related to gnome without systemd is up and running. Thanks :D
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
There's a patch upstream, but since there is not yet a stable release of Dash to Dock for 3.34 and mutter-3.34.1 will be out already patched in (probably) less than a week anyway, maybe it's not even worth integrating right now.

GNOME 3.34.1 (beta) is now available for testing. :twisted:

Nothing significant has changed since the last announcement post except for the impending End of Life (EOL) for Python 2.

Enjoy.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Nowadays there are (surprisingly so) quite a few users so I wanted to obtain a "majority vote".

2 out of 3 is good enough so sync up and have at it. :wink:

Dantrell, I am sorry for the question but I am still relatively new to plasma+gnome profile so therefore I hope for your understanding. What exactly did you switch now and formerly when you asked if the users want an update?

Currently, my profile:
Code:

[37]  dantrell-gnome:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome+plasma (stable) *

doesn't work anymore.

Tried --fetch, re-add (by switching to 3-34 and back to plasma+gnome), etc. but I still get this:

Code:

!!! Unable to parse profile: '/etc/portage/make.profile'
!!! ParseError: Parent 'dantrell-gnome-3-34:default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/3.34/extended' not found: '/var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome+plasma/parent'

!!! /etc/portage/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably prevent most merges.
!!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/
!!! (You can safely ignore this message when syncing. It's harmless.)

!!! Your current profile is invalid. If you have just changed your profile
!!! configuration, you should revert back to the previous configuration.
!!! Allowed actions are limited to --help, --info, --search, --sync, and
!!! --version.

Please advice :)

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
What exactly did you switch now and formerly when you asked if the users want an update?

I switched the relevant references from 3-32/3.32 to 3-34/3.34.

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Tried --fetch, re-add (by switching to 3-34 and back to plasma+gnome), etc. but I still get this: [...]

I can reproduce this by "de-linking" GNOME 3.34 from /etc/portage/repos.conf/* so that's where your problem is.

If you are using Layman the following should be enough:

Code:
layman --fetch
layman --add dantrell-gnome-3-34
grep --quiet --no-messages "\[dantrell-gnome-3-34" /etc/portage/repos.conf/layman.conf && echo "OK"

saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a sandbox violation with gnome-base/libgtop:

Code:

* --------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
 * LOG FILE: "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-4.log"
VERSION 1.0
FORMAT: F - Function called
FORMAT: S - Access Status
FORMAT: P - Path as passed to function
FORMAT: A - Absolute Path (not canonical)
FORMAT: R - Canonical Path
FORMAT: C - Command Line

F: fchownat
S: deny
P: /usr/bin/libgtop_server2
A: /usr/bin/libgtop_server2
R: /usr/bin/libgtop_server2
C: chown root /usr/bin/libgtop_server2
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
Got a sandbox violation with gnome-base/libgtop: [...]

Sync up and you should be good to go.

dantrell wrote:
But it's another notch towards me forking the main tree so I can slipstream in some changes. :twisted:

There have been many times since 2015 where I have encountered an issue regarding the limitations of Portage overlays in relation to the main tree but I have always either: (1) worked around the issue or (2) fixed the issue in my personal overlay and hoped no one else encountered it elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it seems that I have reached the point where partial solutions aren't going to cut it anymore so I have started preparing for the eventuality of forking the main tree.

I want to point out though that, use of the proposed tree is completely unnecessary if you use (and continue to use) the latest GNOME release versions. Only those running older GNOME release versions (e.g. 3.14) will benefit.

That said, if I have it right that there are (currently) ~36000 ebuilds (not packages) in Gentoo, then the proposed tree will be 95% identical to the main tree with a 4.97% divergence being related to GNOME ebuilds and a 0.03% divergence being related to "hotswapped" ebuilds.

Technically, the proposed tree will not be a merger of the main tree and the project overlays but rather I will be deleting 4.97% of the main tree in addition to modifying 0.03% of it in-place (i.e. the project overlays will still be used).

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms? :twisted:
Shibotto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, life happened :lol:

I only use the latest release of GNOME or the previous one for a brief span of time, so if I got it right I shouldn't be affected by this.

Since you asked for thoughts, I see you are currently maintaining 11 releases of GNOME and I've been wondering for a while now: what is your EOL plan (or plan in general)? From my point of view I'd take into account two key factors:
  1. Functionality
    In short, ConsoleKit and elogind. I think it could be nice to provide both alternatives, though ConsoleKit (not 2 [but even 2 it seems, for how little it matters to us]) has been unmaintained for many years.
    This is the most obvious to me, maybe there was some other core functionality switch along the way that I forgot about.

2. Security
    You do a great job maintaining a common up to date base for all your overlays when feasible (like we recently discussed for webkit-gtk), however the old unmaintained bits are bound to become the weak link sooner or later. I was quickly investigating 3-14 (the one I had less faith in :twisted: ) and found something on evolution which apparently spans through 2.28.2. Debian has it patched for an older version btw (can't link you the exact patch because the browseable SVN of Debian is broken).

With that in mind, if it were me I'd probably consider keeping 3-22 because according to the README as of now it's the last version meeting 1), although ConsoleKit kinda conflicts with 2). Because of 2) I'd drop every other release no longer supported by GNOME or not supported by an LTS distro.

That's what I've been thinking about, although I don't want to step on the toes of anyone using their preferred release, even less I want to tell people how to do their job. It would be interesting knowing how many people are interested in older GNOME releases, so guys make a lot of noise :lol:

dantrell wrote:
Shibotto, we are splitting the work right? :twisted:

Of course, I'm not one bit worried of wrecking the hell out of it 8O
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
I only use the latest release of GNOME or the previous one for a brief span of time, so if I got it right I shouldn't be affected by this.

This is correct but... :twisted:

Things won't be as tightly integrated. For instance, overlays overriding the Vala eclass must fork every applicable Vala ebuild for the revised change to apply. With the proposed tree, said forking isn't necessary.

Shibotto wrote:
Since you asked for thoughts, I see you are currently maintaining 11 releases of GNOME and I've been wondering for a while now: what is your EOL plan (or plan in general)?

For me, True™ EOL happens when Chromium (and by extension Google Chrome) and Firefox no longer builds under (or runs in) a particular GNOME release version.

Shibotto wrote:
You do a great job maintaining a common up to date base for all your overlays when feasible (like we recently discussed for webkit-gtk), however the old unmaintained bits are bound to become the weak link sooner or later. I was quickly investigating 3-14 (the one I had less faith in :twisted: ) and found something on evolution which apparently spans through 2.28.2. Debian has it patched for an older version btw (can't link you the exact patch because the browseable SVN of Debian is broken).

This is an excellent point, one that I'm pretty sure I answered somewhere at some point (but I checked the project documentation is it's not there, which is an oversight).

The short answer is that if your machine is single-user and the affected packages are not used in a web-facing manner, there is no issue.

So if you use GNOME 3.14, you probably shouldn't be using Epiphany 3.14 or Evolution 3.14 in any manner except locally.

The good news is there isn't that many packages you need to be concerned about.

Note, this will be the same case for Python 2 if I proceed with the proposed tree (i.e. there is no issue if you use Python 2 locally to ensure a clean emerge but Python 2 shouldn't be used in a web-facing manner).

Shibotto wrote:
With that in mind, if it were me I'd probably consider keeping 3-22 because according to the README as of now it's the last version meeting 1), although ConsoleKit kinda conflicts with 2). Because of 2) I'd drop every other release no longer supported by GNOME or not supported by an LTS distro.

Which brings us here... even if/when True™ EOL arrives or there are vulnerable package versions you can potentially bypass the entire issue by unmasking the latest GLib (and its accompanying packages) which will most likely allow you to build the latest GLib-dependent packages ergo there is no need to drop support.

So it's possible you could use GNOME 3.14 with Epiphany 3.34 and Evolution 3.34 (in fact there are at least 2 users using an older GNOME release version this way).

I don't support this configuration out-of-the-box because things can subtly go wrong but for the most part, it works. So I can easily, for instance, create hidden profiles with more liberal mask files thereby allowing for this configuration.

Note, as further proof of concept, the main tree typically lets packages from the next GNOME release version in before a full transition takes place.

Shibotto wrote:
That's what I've been thinking about, although I don't want to step on the toes of anyone using their preferred release, even less I want to tell people how to do their job. It would be interesting knowing how many people are interested in older GNOME releases, so guys make a lot of noise :lol:

I still use GNOME 3.14 and that's honestly the biggest reason why its still supported.

I included the later versions because it was trivial to do so.
vozhyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upgraded to Gnome 3.34 and hit gtk#2157. The issue doesn't appear with the same GTK version (3.24.10) on Gnome 3.32, so I went back to 3.32.

The issue on Gnome 3.34 is fixed in the gtk-3-24 branch, but there is no release yet. I've hacked together a gtk+-3.24.9999 ebuild:
Code:
--- /var/git/layman/dantrell-gnome/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-3.24.12.ebuild    2019-10-16 22:29:49.401260571 +0200
+++ /var/git/local/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-3.24.9999.ebuild  2019-10-21 14:53:47.888176983 +0200
@@ -12,6 +12,11 @@
 SLOT="3/24" # From WebKit: http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/195811
 KEYWORDS="~*"

+inherit git-r3
+EGIT_REPO_URI="https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk.git"
+EGIT_BRANCH="gtk-3-24"
+SRC_URI=""
+
 IUSE="aqua broadway cloudprint colord cups examples gtk-doc +introspection test vim-syntax wayland X xinerama"
 REQUIRED_USE="
        || ( aqua wayland X )
@@ -110,6 +115,16 @@
        replace-flags -O3 -O2
        strip-flags

+       # gtk-update-icon-cache is installed by dev-util/gtk-update-icon-cache
+       eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-3.24.8-update-icon-cache.patch
+
+       # Fix broken autotools logic
+       eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-3.22.20-libcloudproviders-automagic.patch
+
+       # call eapply_user (implicitly) before eautoreconf
+       gnome2_src_prepare
+       eautoreconf
+
        if ! use test ; then
                # don't waste time building tests
                strip_builddir SRC_SUBDIRS testsuite Makefile.{am,in}
@@ -125,14 +140,6 @@
                strip_builddir SRC_SUBDIRS examples Makefile.{am,in}
        fi

-       # gtk-update-icon-cache is installed by dev-util/gtk-update-icon-cache
-       eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-3.24.8-update-icon-cache.patch
-
-       # Fix broken autotools logic
-       eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-3.22.20-libcloudproviders-automagic.patch
-
-       # call eapply_user (implicitly) before eautoreconf
-       gnome2_src_prepare
        eautoreconf
 }

and installed it (with some problems - I've got the same error as in https://discourse.gnome.org/t/compiling-gtk-3-24-3-22-with-wayland-im-support-fails/901 and had to run "( cd modules/input && make )" and some "ebuild" commands manually to work around that).

Gnome 3.34 with that GTK version (EGIT_VERSION="da90d37b42e1c5f2ca5a7a010cdd2a791c39b303") works fine now.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a compile failure with net-print/cups-filters, and noticed main tree bumped the latest version to stable: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/net-print/cups-filters

So I did as well, and it compiles fine.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
This is an excellent point, one that I'm pretty sure I answered somewhere at some point (but I checked the project documentation is it's not there, which is an oversight).

This is now covered in the project documentation.

vozhyk wrote:
I've upgraded to Gnome 3.34 and hit gtk#2157.

It should be enough to backport GTK+ commit e997ef6 to 3.24.11 and 3.24.12 (which I did).

saboya wrote:
Had a compile failure with net-print/cups-filters, and noticed main tree bumped the latest version to stable [...]

Thanks for the heads up.

Stabilized.
Child_of_Sun_24
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i try to merge gnome-music-3.34.1 the following error appears:

Code:
 * Package:    media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1
 * Repository: dantrell-gnome-3-34
 * Maintainer: gnome@gentoo.org
 * USE:        abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux python_single_target_python3_6 python_targets_python3_6 userland_GNU
 * FEATURES:   network-sandbox preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gnome-music-3.34.1.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/work/gnome-music-3.34.1 ...
 * Applying gnome-music-3.34.0-loadfix.patch ...
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file meson.build.rej
 [ !! ]
 * ERROR: media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1::dantrell-gnome-3-34 failed (prepare phase):
 *   patch -p1  failed with /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/files/gnome-music-3.34.0-loadfix.patch
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  125:  Called src_prepare
 *             environment, line 2571:  Called xdg_src_prepare
 *             environment, line 3423:  Called default
 *      phase-functions.sh, line  872:  Called default_src_prepare
 *      phase-functions.sh, line  937:  Called __eapi6_src_prepare
 *             environment, line  282:  Called eapply '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/files/gnome-music-3.34.0-loadfix.patch'
 *             environment, line  775:  Called _eapply_patch '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/files/gnome-music-3.34.0-loadfix.patch'
 *             environment, line  713:  Called __helpers_die 'patch -p1  failed with /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/files/gnome-music-3.34.0-loadfix.patch'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  112:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1::dantrell-gnome-3-34'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1::dantrell-gnome-3-34'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/media-sound:gnome-music-3.34.1:20191027-181537.log'.
 * For convenience, a symlink to the build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/work/gnome-music-3.34.1'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/gnome-music-3.34.1/work/gnome-music-3.34.1'
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Child_of_Sun_24 wrote:
When i try to merge gnome-music-3.34.1 the following error appears: [...]

Child_of_Sun_24
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Thank you :-)
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>=gnome-extra/gnome-calculator-3.34.1 depends on dev-libs/libgee

Code:

Run-time dependency gee-0.8 found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)

meson.build:28:0: ERROR: Dependency "gee-0.8" not found, tried pkgconfig and cmake

A full log can be found at /var/tmp/portage/gnome-extra/gnome-calculator-3.34.1/work/gnome-calculator-3.34.1-build/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
>=gnome-extra/gnome-calculator-3.34.1 depends on dev-libs/libgee [...]

This issue has been corrected.
Child_of_Sun_24
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since today net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.26.1-r1 fails during rebuild:
https://pastebin.com/fck3rSCz
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Child_of_Sun_24 wrote:
Since today net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.26.1-r1 fails during rebuild:[...]

Looks like this is because of ICU 65.

I figured only WebKitGTK+ <2.25.0 was affected, turns out it was more like <2.27.2. :o

Anyway, sync up and you should be good to go.
Child_of_Sun_24
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Anyway, sync up and you should be good to go.

simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some issues with the lockscreen, would like to check if they are upstream issues or not. If the lockscreen is activated after a timeout (this can be from the desktop or from GDM when keeping it at the login prompt for a while) there's no way to get to the username/password entry with the keyboard (using enter or escape or by starting to type the password) anymore, the only way I've been able to login again is by dragging the fullscreen image + time display (no clue what to call it) from the bottom to the top.
Oddly enough the keyboard still works when locking the screen manually using the keyboard shortcut.

I'm on gnome-base/gdm-3.32.0-r4 (assuming the lockscreen is provided by GDM).

[edit] And ran into something else as well: I got an update to media-libs/gegl-0.4.18::dantrell-gnome, but it depends on media-libs/libnsgif which has no stable version at the moment and that has a dependency on ">=dev-util/netsurf-buildsystem-1.7-r1" which is also not stable at the moment.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I'm having some issues with the lockscreen, would like to check if they are upstream issues or not. If the lockscreen is activated after a timeout (this can be from the desktop or from GDM when keeping it at the login prompt for a while) there's no way to get to the username/password entry with the keyboard (using enter or escape or by starting to type the password) anymore, the only way I've been able to login again is by dragging the fullscreen image + time display (no clue what to call it) from the bottom to the top.
Oddly enough the keyboard still works when locking the screen manually using the keyboard shortcut.

I'm not quite sure where the issue is but the two packages you want to look at are GDM and GNOME Shell.

To rule out my patchset you probably want to build GNOME Shell with USE="vanilla-screen" which seems to be the only QoL patch tangibly related. Of course, all that patch does is use the "Blank Screen" time as the idle delay (but you never know).

simonvanderveldt wrote:
[edit] And ran into something else as well: I got an update to media-libs/gegl-0.4.18::dantrell-gnome, but it depends on media-libs/libnsgif which has no stable version at the moment and that has a dependency on ">=dev-util/netsurf-buildsystem-1.7-r1" which is also not stable at the moment.

dantrell wrote:
This is now covered in the project documentation.

In other news, I have started preliminary documentation of the packages that users should watch out for even if they are up-to-date:
  • Evolution
  • GNOME Online Accounts
  • GVfs
  • WebKitGTK+
    • GNOME Web (codename: Epiphany)

simonvanderveldt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:

I'm not quite sure where the issue is but the two packages you want to look at are GDM and GNOME Shell.

To rule out my patchset you probably want to build GNOME Shell with USE="vanilla-screen" which seems to be the only QoL patch tangibly related. Of course, all that patch does is use the "Blank Screen" time as the idle delay (but you never know).

Thanks for the info. I've compiled gnome-shell with USE="vanilla-screen" and now it's working as expected. The only other thing that seems to have changed is that when manually locking the screen it blanks immediately which it didn't do before I believe.

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:

All working now, thanks!
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a weird error with gnome-control-center. It wasn't launching due to missing libhandy, even though it was installed. I re-emerged it and was solved, so I have no idea what happened there.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Thanks for the info. I've compiled gnome-shell with USE="vanilla-screen" and now it's working as expected. The only other thing that seems to have changed is that when manually locking the screen it blanks immediately which it didn't do before I believe.

A bit odd since that QoL patch has been around since the 3.14 series but not completely unexpected since things change. :o

It's possible the patch should be excluded from for 3.32+ but we'll see.

saboya wrote:
I had a weird error with gnome-control-center. It wasn't launching due to missing libhandy, even though it was installed. I re-emerged it and was solved, so I have no idea what happened there.

Err, which package did you re-emerge? :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 10 of 24

Jump to: