View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: xscreensaver users - need bug confirmation Reply with quote

Hi,

I have attempted to file a bug regarding xscreensaver, but for some reason bugzilla people are way too dismiss-happy lately and refuse to allow a proper confirmation period. In this case, the Bugzilla person, incredibly rude, decided the problem happens randomly after "confirming" using the wrong software (xfce-screensaver) and assuming xscreensaver would be the same way.

He ignored my report of three computers acting a certain way, when using the actual software mentioned in the bug (xscreensaver) rather than his own (xfce-screensaver), as the situation of only one person, refusing to leave the bug open for further confirmations.

This being the third or fourth time something like this has happened to me over the past few months, I decided that in the future, before I would file bug reports, I would start discussions on the forum to gain a series of confirmations and then post a bug with a link to the forum.

The bug in question, 696156, regards xscreensaver and its interaction with Plasma.

The behavior I have always had, 100% on 3 computers, during my 2 years of using Gentoo, under Xorg is that if xscreensaver is already running, Plasma's screenlocker does not run.

Under Wayland, which I use currently on one computer, Plasma's screenlocker runs anyway.

After testing with the wrong software, the Bugzilla people decided it was "random" and closed the bug. So I need confirmation from other people that this is how it works for them.

1. Set xscreensaver to start in 5 minutes, and Plasma screenlocker settings for 10 minutes.
2. When using Xorg, Plasma's screenlocker won't lock the screen if xscreensaver is already running.
3. When using Wayland, Plasma's screenlocker will lock the screen anyway.

Please confirm that this is the behavior you have. If not, mention it here. Be sure to use the correct software (xscreensaver). I will do things this way in the future before reporting bugs on Bugzilla.

Thank you!
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods, please move this to "Desktop Environments" thank you!

[Moderator response: Moved. -Hu]
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems entirely reasonable behaviour to not invoke the real screen locker when a fullscreen app is running, and quarantined X apps under Wayland don't have the authority to override compositor-level security.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Seems entirely reasonable behaviour to not invoke the real screen locker when a fullscreen app is running

This is how xscreensaver acts for me under Plasma Xorg.
Does xscreensaver act this way for you too under Xorg?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redblade7 wrote:
Expected Results:
Plasma Wayland should not lock the screen when xscreensaver's screensaver is running, which is the behavior with Plasma Xorg.

redblade7, I am sorry, but I think that you are wrong.

Please try to understand what Wayland is and how a Wayland compositor works. I'm sure you will realize how stupid it is to run a X screensaver when your display is managed by a Wayland compositor. It just doesn't make sense.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Please try to understand what Wayland is and how a Wayland compositor works. I'm sure you will realize how stupid it is to run a X screensaver when your display is managed by a Wayland compositor. It just doesn't make sense.

Can you please explain? I'm using sddm to log into Plasma Wayland as I do with Plasma Xorg. I know that certain things don't work due to the enhanced security (e.g. "sudo gvim") but xscreensaver is run under the same user. I know xscreensaver cannot lock the screen under Wayland (in the bug report I filed, someone found this in the xscreensaver source code) due to these security protections. But can you explain why running xscreensaver or any other screensaver is "stupid" under Wayland?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: xscreensaver users - need bug confirmation Reply with quote

Sorry, you don't need any bug confirmation
First because it's not a bug, the case is properly handle by xscreensaver, and then, the expect result never randomly change.
And second, because you don't need anyone to test to confirm it.

All this has been given to you in comment #1 in the bug
Code:
  if (!si->locking_disabled_p && getenv ("WAYLAND_DISPLAY"))

if xscreensaver find the env set, it will disable locking : you don't need lot of people to test that this will always happen
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: xscreensaver users - need bug confirmation Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
And second, because you don't need anyone to test to confirm it.

All this has been given to you in comment #1 in the bug
Code:
  if (!si->locking_disabled_p && getenv ("WAYLAND_DISPLAY"))

if xscreensaver find the env set, it will disable locking : you don't need lot of people to test that this will always happen

That refers to xscreensaver's locking feature, not xscreensaver as a whole. I was talking about Plasma's locking feature, you must have misunderstood.

xscreensaver otherwise runs with no problems on Wayland.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: xscreensaver users - need bug confirmation Reply with quote

redblade7 wrote:
That refers to xscreensaver's locking feature, not xscreensaver as a whole. I was talking about Plasma's locking feature, you must have misunderstood.

Plasma Wayland:

1. After starting Plasma Xorg, start the xscreensaver daemon by running: xscreensaver -nosplash &
2. Wait 5 minutes. xscreensaver will take effect. -> but xscreensaver locking feature is disable
3. Wait another 5 minutes. Plasma will lock the screen while the screensaver is -> because nobody is locking the screen

Clearer?
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: xscreensaver users - need bug confirmation Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

Plasma Wayland:

1. After starting Plasma Xorg, start the xscreensaver daemon by running: xscreensaver -nosplash &
2. Wait 5 minutes. xscreensaver will take effect. -> but xscreensaver locking feature is disable
3. Wait another 5 minutes. Plasma will lock the screen while the screensaver is -> because nobody is locking the screen

Clearer?

When following those steps under the configuration you described (5 minute xscreensaver without lock, 10 minute plasma lock), #3 only occurs when using Wayland.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: xscreensaver users - need bug confirmation Reply with quote

redblade7 wrote:
krinn wrote:
redblade7 wrote:

Plasma Wayland:

Clearer?

When following those steps under the configuration you described (5 minute xscreensaver without lock, 10 minute plasma lock), #3 only occurs when using Wayland.

Bump?

Also, another user claimed it was "stupid" to run a screensaver on Wayland. What did you mean by that?
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, there is minimal value in running an X11 screen locker under Wayland, because it will at best lock out access to the other X11 applications, but not lock out access to any Wayland-native features. Since the point of a screenlocker is to render the system completely inaccessible while locked, a locker that leaves all of Wayland exposed is not helpful. A Wayland-aware screenlocker can successfully lock the entire system, so Wayland systems can be secured if you configure them properly.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
As I understand it, there is minimal value in running an X11 screen locker under Wayland, because it will at best lock out access to the other X11 applications, but not lock out access to any Wayland-native features. Since the point of a screenlocker is to render the system completely inaccessible while locked, a locker that leaves all of Wayland exposed is not helpful. A Wayland-aware screenlocker can successfully lock the entire system, so Wayland systems can be secured if you configure them properly.

As I'm not using xscreensaver's lock feature, wouldn't it just work the same as playing a video?

Thank you for explaining things.

EDIT: Does this mean we should not use the built-in Plasma screenlocker either when using Wayland?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: