[solved]Xorg make.conf file VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojosam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: [solved]Xorg make.conf file VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Xorg, in anticipation of installing a desktop environment. I'm working my way through Xorg/Guide in the Wiki.

I recompiled my kernel. Now I'm working on the /etc/portage/make.conf file. The Wiki says that I need to set the VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES variables. For my machine, that first variable should be set as:

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"

My make.conf file does not currently have this entry. However, when I query:

Code:
# portageq envvar VIDEO_CARDS
amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa dummy v41

I guess that means that the variable is being set somewhere else, and it already has those values. Is it a problem that it also contains a bunch of irrelevant values?

For the input devices the Wiki is vague but implies that Libinput is what I want. I query:

Code:
# portageq envvar INPUT_DEVICES
libinput keyboard mouse

Again, it appears that the variable is already populated somewhere else.

Do I need to add explicit entries to my /etc/portage/make.conf file? Or is this already taken care of for me and I can skip this step?

Last edited by mojosam on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Xorg make.conf file VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES Reply with quote

mojosam wrote:
Again, it appears that the variable is already populated somewhere else.

The profile populate these variable see $(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)/profiles/arch/amd64/make.defaults.

mojosam wrote:
Do I need to add explicit entries to my /etc/portage/make.conf file? Or is this already taken care of for me and I can skip this step?

If you want only intel or libinput support and not all other setted by profile yes.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Xorg make.conf file VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES Reply with quote

mojosam wrote:
I'm trying to install Xorg, in anticipation of installing a desktop environment. I'm working my way through Xorg/Guide in the Wiki.

I recompiled my kernel. Now I'm working on the /etc/portage/make.conf file. The Wiki says that I need to set the VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES variables. For my machine, that first variable should be set as:

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel"

That may not be fully true. You may need i965 rather than intel. For flexibility you can have VIDEO_CARDS="i965 intel"

'intel' pulls in driver distributed by Intel. If you use kernel modesetting you need i965

Here is the comment I have in my make.conf (I wonder if it still applies ?)

Quote:

# Hardware
# VIDEO_CARDS="intel" - uses chip specific 2D acceleration driver, not installed if i965 is also set.
# VIDEO_CARDS="i965" - uses Glamor 2D acceleration driver in xorg-server, overwrites intel for xorg-drivers.
# However, for 3D 'intel' can be needed, since this is the only flag recognized by libdrm,
# and is required to be set to use, for example, vaapi. Thus we set both !
mojosam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That may not be fully true. You may need i965 rather than intel. For flexibility you can have VIDEO_CARDS="i965 intel"

OK, I read the Intel page of the Wiki and a few of the bug reports it sent me to. After a bit of bewilderment, I think I now mostly understand the Intel vs. i915 vs. i965 business. I also discovered that my processor was manufactured before some current Gentoo users were born. So in my case, I need to say:

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i915"

I also discovered why I missed this bit of info. I am following the Xorg/Guide in the Wiki. The Kernel Modesetting section of that document told me to go to the Kernel section of the Intel article. That caused me to skip the stuff earlier on that page that explains intel/i915/i965. More importantly, if you have a newer processor, it would cause you to skip the section about the firmware you need to add to your kernel!

So if you have an Intel processor with integrated GPU, make sure you read the entire Intel page in the Wiki.

Anyway, I finished installing Xorg, and it appears to work. Thanks to both of you for your help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: