Keeping /Home from arch distro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbachman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Keeping /Home from arch distro Reply with quote

Hi to the Gentoo community,

i'm making the jump this evening after a while on arch ,

I'm decided to go with gentoo ,

before jumping i have a question that I've already asked but its just to confirm, I'm going to keep my past /home what is the best way to install Gentoo and keep the home from my arch distro ? and at what moment

i was thinking of just backing up my /home on my HDD partition ( i have an EXT4 coming on that HDD)
or is there a way to just mount the /home and use it ? with a chown ? not very familiar with that yet.
my second question is that i have an EFI partition for windows as well that also store Refind should i just overwrite that with the new install at the end ?

thanks a lot for your help !
etnull
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo is very similar to arch when it comes to mounting and partitioning, you can even use the same tools to do that. if you did the manual arch install you should no longer have such questions.
your windows partition will be intact if you don't touch them yourself, but windows can become unbootable in this case you need os-prober or something like that, I haven't done it myself in a while.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping /Home from arch distro Reply with quote

davidbachman wrote:
before jumping i have a question that I've already asked but its just to confirm, I'm going to keep my past /home what is the best way to install Gentoo and keep the home from my arch distro ? and at what moment

You create a partition that you will mount in gentoo as /home ; and your arch /home will remain unused in gentoo.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbachman,

Building on what krinn said, krinns suggestion is safe.
You can copy over most but not all of your user date.

App specific per user config files do not always move between applications very well. so you need to be very careful with your dot files.
Moving app data back a version can be a problem too.

If you have *identical* versions installeh in Arch and Gentoo, copying /home over for that app will be "mostly harnless".

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether you still have Arch installed, but if you do you may want to create your Gentoo user with same UID.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Artix, Calculate, Gentoo, and Void Linux sharing my files on a separate parition but have learned the hard way the wisdom of what NeddySeagoon said. Applications can behave strangely, DE can fail to run, etc. when config files for different systems are mingled. I suggest that before you migrate to Gentoo that you move all config files out of the way. The easy way is done while home is mounted on /mnt/gentoo/home during the install
Code:

cd /mnt/gentoo/home/myhome
mkdir configuration
mkdir configuration/archlinux
mv .config configuration/archlinux/
mv .local configuration/archlinux/

Other configs that you may want to move out of the way are ~/.ssh ~/.mozilla ~/.gnupg ~/.fluxbox ~/.xinitrc ~/.profile

What I do is let each linux create its own /home/myhome on the root partition and keep all of my working files in subdirs of ~/working which is on its own partition. (Modify the fstab after installation to mount the "working" partition to your home dir).

For further convenience you can create a working directory for keeping all config files in that common partition and "install" them into the linux-specific home dir using app-admin/stow. There are writeups elsewhere on managing config files with stow.

And yes, make sure that you create the new gentoo user with the same uid/gid as you have under arch
Code:
groupadd -g <your user group id>  <username>
useradd -g <username> -G wheel, etc. -m <username>
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: