Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] How to install Plasma without pulling in VLC + GTK?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleptoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: [Solved] How to install Plasma without pulling in VLC + GTK? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new here :)

Long time GNU/Linux user, trying to switch to Gentoo from Arch. I'm no stranger to source-based, I did LFS back in 2000 then SGL after that. I am however just starting to learn Gentoo...

Whenever I try to install kde-plasma/plasma-meta it wants to pull in VLC and GTK3. Using the -gtk3 USE flag doesn't help. I don't want this, I want smplayer and nothing GTK based. How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by Kleptoid on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass --tree to emerge to ask it to explain why it pulls in a package. In your case, emerge --pretend --verbose --tree kde-plasma/plasma-meta should show you what you need.

Use /etc/portage/package.mask to force Portage not to install a particular package. If you do this, Portage will fail to solve dependency chains that require the package. This can be useful if you know that any chain that requires the package is an error. For example, you could mask gtk+:3 to force an error when anything tries to use it. If the mask raises an error, then you get to decide whether to remove the mask, reconfigure the requiring package, or refrain from installing the requiring package.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it's pulling in VLC is because media-libs/phonon-vlc is the default backend for the KDE multimedia library media-libs/phonon:

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/search?q=phonon

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/media-libs/phonon/phonon-4.11.0.ebuild

Notice the following line in the phonon ebuild:

Code:
IUSE="debug designer gstreamer pulseaudio +vlc"

The "+vlc" means that, if you don't explicitly change it, media-libs/phonon-vlc is chosen by default. If you don't want media-libs/phonon-vlc and VLC to be installed then specify "-vlc" as a local USE flag for phonon.

I'm not an Arch Linux user, but I understand you can choose either (or both) phonon backends in that distribution as well: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Which_backend_should_I_choose?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE gtk3 will usually only exist where there is the option of using gtk2 instead. So unsetting that flag alone does not cut it, "-gtk" is necessary.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also remove gtk (not gtk3) use flag to kde-plasma/plasma-meta and kde-plasma/systemsettings packages, but without this you have no integration with gtk/gtk3 applications
Kleptoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your prompt and helpful responses. I can see I've got a lot of learning to do, but Gentoo is thus far living up to my expectations.

Topic marked as solved, yay! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: