pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterjack wrote:
User: YPenguin
Topic: Astrologie
Reason: Spam
Using Google Translate (not that it is reliable) and that this is from an established user, it doesn't appear to be spam.

Both the reported thread and the apparently referenced Die Sonne der Finsternis thread are in the "appropriate" non-support Diskussionsforum.

The spam part may very well be lost in translation.

Thanks.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reason: spam
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic: Die Sonne der Finsternis
Reason: More spam - I agree with Toralf. Those threads could alienate new users.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least some of the mentioned posts by YPenguin have been reported before, but to me they seemed to be more like general chatter instead of spam.

Going by Vor dem Posten lesen! -Forenregeln- [2007-09-15], it looks like the Diskussionsforum is to be used for off-topic and the likes, but I'm not sure /how/ off-topic exactly has been allowed there. In any case, it looked like there was nothing to be done at the time.

According to some, we should not allow /any/ off-topic at all, so there's that too. :]

For the German and other regulars who actively browse the particular sections: is it really going too far, then?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is complete and utter bollocks.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
Reason: spam

mike155 wrote:
Topic: Die Sonne der Finsternis
Reason: More spam - I agree with Toralf. Those threads could alienate new users.

asturm wrote:
It is complete and utter bollocks.

I previously didn't understand the objection, being a general discussion forum which seemed to allow non-technical discussions. After translating all the posts, no one seems to be interested. Unfortunately, the moderator hasn't posted since 2017. Normally I'd expect this to be addressed by "those involved" (that is, participants and moderators who understand the language). To be clear, is the issue with this thread only?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic: Gehirn als Hardware
Reason: that guy is spamming the german forum at all
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Split off YPenguin's Astrologie thread (feedback was requested).

toralf wrote:
Topic: Gehirn als Hardware
Reason: that guy is spamming the german forum at all
toralf, could you please clarify what about this users posts you consider to be spam?

Regarding prior reports in the thread I split off above, I have translated all of the posts and do not find the spam.

I mention in that thread:

"Both the reported thread and the apparently referenced Die Sonne der Finsternis thread are in the "appropriate" non-support Diskussionsforum."

and

"I previously didn't understand the objection, being a general discussion forum which seemed to allow non-technical discussions. After translating all the posts, no one seems to be interested."

So from what I can tell using google's translation, the topics appear to be valid topics for the "Diskussionsforum" which includes "Alles was nicht in ein Support-Forum gehört." (translation: Everything that does not belong in a support forum.)

Thanks.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the user is speaking here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1098864.html not about Gentoo and/or IT in general or anything more or less related to those, he is speaking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid . Completely OT IMO.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
Sure, the user is speaking here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1098864.html not about Gentoo and/or IT in general or anything more or less related to those, he is speaking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid . Completely OT IMO.

It's even worse: he doesn't ask questions and he doesn't want to start a discussion. He just posts random statements which he could have grabbed from a newspaper. He either tries to find out how far he can go before he gets banned or he is pursuing a clever plan to discredit Gentoo forums with off-topic and deterrent posts.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
How is "Omega 3 fatty acid" inappropriate for Diskussionsforum?

Quote:
Diskussionsforum
Unterhaltung über Gentoo und andere Themen: Alles was nicht in ein Support-Forum gehört.

translation wrote:
discussion Forum
Entertainment about Gentoo and other topics: Everything that does not belong in a support forum.
"other topics" and "does not belong in a support forum" would seem to indicate that astrology and fatty acids are acceptable topics.

If users would prefer something more like Gentoo Chat, then maybe it would be possible to rename the forum and put up a new description. Otherwise it seems more like those who have reported these posts just aren't intersted in the topics.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no discussion happening there. The posts of that user do not make sense whatsoever even when they make 4 consecutive posts on their own, without interference.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@asturm:

Thanks. That seems to help clarify some issues.

1. "No discussion" obviously is an issue with who may or may not choose to engage.
2. "[posts] do not make sense" even if someone were interested in the subject, they couldn't reasonably have a dicsussion.
3. and "a user making 4 consecutive posts on their own". I'm guessing you're referring to the astrology topic posts on May.05, 22, 30 and Jun.21,

1 and 2 don't inherently seem like obvious problems. 3 certainly could be. At a certain point, it should be apparent no one is interested and the thread dies. If the community doesn't want certain topics, then this ought to be more clear. But if the issue is with this user and not the topics, that's a different matter entirely.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: