View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: dolphin (qt5 / icu) sort issue Reply with quote

Dolphin displays some files in the incorrect sort order (in the shell, ls works fine).

For a minimal working example, suppose I have two files:

Code:

artist_-_title.ext
artist_-_title_remix.ext

The first item should appear before the second, but dolphin displays (using an alphabetical sort, of course) the second item first. Someone told me that nautilus displays the items in the correct order, which points to qt5 (and its dependency icu) as the culprit.

Any thoughts on this (ways to work around it, confirmation that it does not work correctly, to whom should I report this)? Thank you in advance.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by checking the environment variables for ls and dolphin to verify that they have been given the same collation order. If one is sorting according to "natural language" rules and the other is sorting according to C locale, you can get different results like this, and it's not a bug, just inconsistent configuration. This could happen if your shell startup files assign a specific collation order, and Dolphin inherits one from your login manager. If they are both set to the same collation rules, and they are collating differently anyway, then that is a bug.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: