failed to bring eth0 up after install & runscript.sh pro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogierEggers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: failed to bring eth0 up after install & runscript.sh pro Reply with quote

Hi Guys & Girls,

I am new to Gentoo and pretty new to linux. I just did my first installation from stage 1. Everything went well except for that i get the following error message when I boot

Code:
Bringing eth0 up...
dhcpcd{2123}: dhcpcdStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device

Failed to bring eth0 up

and I also get the following message in various places during boot:
Code:
/sbin/runscript.sh:used: command not found

About the first problem, I suspected that my Realtek ethernetcard was not installed properly, so I checked that I included support in make menuconfig (included IN the kernel) again and recompiled the kernel. This didn't help.

When I give the command /sbin/ifconfig -a, then it gives me the output:
Code:
lo  Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqeuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

In /etc/conf.d/net I have only the following uncommented:
Code:
iface_eth0="dhcp"

I have a Celeron533 system with a Realtek Fast Ethernet Adapter (model tf-3239). I've got my own dhcp-server through which I can also connect to the internet. This worked very well during the install, when I booted from the CD. Does anyone see the thing that I overlook? I searched the forums, but other solutions don't seem to help. Ofcourse I'll be happy to provide you with more logs/error messages, but I don't know which and where to find them.

About the second problem. I don't know if it is related to the first one, but it seems to be less important. I saw similar problems in other threads. There they advised to search in the file runscrip.sh for the command tht is not found and then check if it is accidentily uncommented. In my case, I can't find used, except for a spot where it is in the middle of a textblock. Is there another solution?

Thanks a lot for your help.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: failed to bring eth0 up after install & runscript.sh Reply with quote

RogierEggers wrote:
About the first problem, I suspected that my Realtek ethernetcard was not installed properly, so I checked that I included support in make menuconfig (included IN the kernel) again and recompiled the kernel. This didn't help.

I agree with both your diagnosis and treatment. One common mistake here is to forget to mount /boot before copying the new bzImage there. Is there a chance that this one bit you?

Quote:
About the second problem. I don't know if it is related to the first one, but it seems to be less important. I saw similar problems in other threads. There they advised to search in the file runscrip.sh for the command tht is not found and then check if it is accidentily uncommented. In my case, I can't find used, except for a spot where it is in the middle of a textblock. Is there another solution?

I think you're on the right track (of course, I'm probably biased). Is it possible that you forgot to give nano the -w flag when editing a file like rc.conf? Spurious word wrapping could cause this, and it might be important. I suppose it's even conceivable that this could mess up the automatic networking setup code at boot time.

Welcome to Gentoo and the forums, btw.
RogierEggers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: failed to bring eth0 up after install & runscript.sh Reply with quote

Well, it's not unlikely that I made those mistakes. I'll try again tonight.

Thanx for the tips!
RogierEggers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: failed to bring eth0 up after install & runscript.sh Reply with quote

Yep Rac,

Everything works fine now. I just was not neat enough in the first place probabely.

Thanx for the enlightening advice!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: