Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
your opinion: lineageOS, postmarketOS, something else?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJumper wrote:
+Lineageos
+f-droid
+ gapps free!
+yalp Store - google play proxy for some free Google Apps.

I've been looking more at f-droid, and it looks much better than it was when I first saw it. It looks as if it might be possible for me, or more importantly, my wife, to go Google-free.

To do this, I'm guessing that I have to do a factory reset, then reinstall Lineage OS from scratch? IIRC, that doesn't mean reinstalling TWRP.
Syl20
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
To do this, I'm guessing that I have to do a factory reset, then reinstall Lineage OS from scratch? IIRC, that doesn't mean reinstalling TWRP.

Right, and right.
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

Sorry you did not read the build instructions carefully, to build lineageOS you MUST extract the binaries from a previous LineageOS release, it might not (probably will not) work if you use the vendor supplied firmware.

Oh YES, you are Right. I miss that Point. However Parts of that are no closed source Blobs on my phone.

I am not sure what is the reason of that. I think its about the synchronization of some Android-OTA Updates.

Not sure, but Years before, back in the GSM Days the Provider had the Right too, to update Phones from Remote. However this devices was not an Android Phone, it wasn't a Smart Phone too. Maybe the Provider can still do this and the Phones have to correspond to that order.
utraz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use lineageOS without gapps, however i did install MicroG to replace Gapps. But 98% of my apps come from f-droid anyway.

I hope postmarketOS becomes a thing, i absolutely hate how older phones are unusable because they don't get updates, it's a bullshit system that forces you to buy a new phone every few years, lineageOS makes it a bit better, but not enough...
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contemplating this move a bit more. For now I'm stuck on my current install, because shortly I'll have three Android Authenticator setups with my employer. Transferring from one phone to another looks pretty easy, getting out and back onto the same phone not so much. We want new phones in the near future, so that's a natural time to switch. In the meantime, i continue to gather information.

To do this, one needs to keep the wife happy. I've had a look around F-Droid and see that they have Facebook apps, so that's good. We use OpenVPN and KMail, and I know the latter is available and presume the former is, as well.

My questions... I see Android Authenticator equivalents, so I presume that this is all sufficiently standardized that I can move from AA on my current phone to one of these on a new phone, following the regular instructions?

Does F-Droid have an equivalent to Android Pay or whatever uses Tap-N-Pay now? I can't do that with my current phone, because it doesn't have NFC, but I'd like that in the new phones. (I like the security model of Tap'n'Pay and its use of temporary credit numbers.)

Finally... Is it possible to find out which phones (if any besides Librem 5) have sandboxed basebands? I've tried searching, but the results don't seem to tell me anything about what I want to know.
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

Does F-Droid have an equivalent to Android Pay or whatever uses Tap-N-Pay now? I can't do that with my current phone, because it doesn't have NFC, but I'd like that in the new phones. (I like the security model of Tap'n'Pay and its use of temporary credit numbers.)

Sorry i am not sure about the authenticator. About that N-Pay and Android-Pay, Take a look at Reddit.com nfc capable lineageos_device

I think its not easy to sa if it will work on your favorite phone. But when you google first it should be possible. Even if they write on some Terminals.

However the security mechanism of Lineageos need Magisk to bypass SafetyNet.

The same as if you buy hardware for Linux and need driver support. Try to search the Net before, bring up a checklist and read if your phone will work.

And one more Point. It seems important if you use it inside or outside the USA an what kind of Phone you have. Try to keep this in mind if you searching for Solutions.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time I was unable to get to F-Droid. I have since been able, and find Android-Authenticator compatible apps.

I find no Pay-type apps on F-Droid.

This is the first I'd heard about SafetyNet. I believe I've heard of "Magisk" before on the LineageOS forums - primarily not to use it, at least not for root. From what I can see of SafetyNet, it will fail a phone with an unlocked bootloader or even your own ROM flash - so I need to see if LineageOS has a problem with Magisk if you're not using it to get root.

As for hardware, checking for LineageOS support is one of the first things I do. It's hard however, because it's hard to get enough information to know that you've got a good sub-model for LineageOS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: