So many roads, but no idea where to go
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocketScience
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: So many roads, but no idea where to go Reply with quote

Hello Community :wink: ,

I need a little help with something that has been bothering me for a while.

For the past half year I have been dipping my toe into several programming languages and general software development directions without diving deep into any of them. I have been thinking about why that is, and now I think I know. I don’t have a long term goal regarding programming aside from getting better at it.

After three years of programming JavaScript I know a basic way around how to develop things, which is great. Now I can choose my own path, but I am having trouble finding the best direction to dive in.

Maybe a bit of background will help you make an educated guess for my future:
I studied communication design and then started working as a front end web developer. Been developing for three years now, and am mostly responsible for GUI development and designing those GUIs. Lately I am trying to get better at UX/UI which already helps me improve the user interfaces I create. I am very happy with my job because it lets me combine two of my biggest passions. I will go further down this path just by working experience and learning a bit here and there continuously improving all the skills I need to make a great user interface.

But I am also very curious what lies beyond GUI development.

In the past half year I wrote some little back end PHP, wrote some small hello world programs in C# (which really helps me read C# code to find back end bugs of my co-workers :D). I experimented a bit with Arduino programming in C, took a very brief, but scared look at Haskell, wrote some small animations in processing(p5.js) wrote some server side typescript for a game me and a friend of mine are making (I mostly make game design, also a passion of mine) and also made a small Frogger clone (in Javascript).

Learning about all of these things was fun and interesting, and I can see myself continuing down any of those paths. I also have no problem sacrificing x amount of time to learn something valuable, even if it would be a very ambitious/big goal.

What my new goal should accomplish:
I would like to find a direction that will stay valuable over time and might provide an additional leg to stand on, if my standard career path choice (front end web) goes down the drain (e.g. because of automation - looking at drag and drop services like webflow). My neighbor told me, that he believes low level programming will have a high demand for developers in the future, because everyone goes high level now (his dad, now 76 still works on circuits and low level programming, because the companies have trouble finding new people with these sets of skills). I asked my boss the same question, and he answered I could drive the front end dev direction further another path and take a closer look at webGL and really get into the nitty gritty, in order to make games etc. or work on these kinds of projects in the future. Or maybe I should learn back end development, to accompany my front end skills and become a full stack dev?

I really dont know what to do.
Any words will help me make a better decision for my future self. Thanks for taking the time reading.

cheers
Steph
etnull
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only suggest one thing. Stay focused, don't go all over the board with many different technologies, you will only waste your time in the long run. Only you can say what is the most interesting to you. Proficient, fast and reliable developer is very valuable no matter what he does, or in which sector he is. And the last thing, web/front-end won't go anywhere it's now part of our lives and economies, new businesses will always require new sites/mobile apps, the only down side is that the salaries in front-end are relatively low because this market is already saturated. So choose one thing, and then push it for at least 5 years, and in the meantime learn budgeting and investing to gain maximum value from your work.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewwww, you've been dealing with JavaScript. You are now unclean. Go see the priest to cleanse yourself of this filth.

Then learn proper structure and control with Python.

If you want to excel at low-level, Rust is only getting more popular.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: