"Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: "Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows" Reply with quote

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/shipping-a-linux-kernel-with-windows/

So basically it's coLinux with more polish and special Microsoft patches applied to the kernel. It's also "magical".

I should note it mentions that:

Quote:
The kernel provided for WSL2 will be fully open source

Given that MS likes to play word games, I'm going to assume this doesn't include possible (proprietary) kernel modules they add in the future, since that's "technically" not part of the kernel.

I think the main reason for this (other than E-E-E) is they no longer wanted to commit resources into their own emulation layer:

Quote:
The result is a small, lightweight kernel that is purpose built for WSL2 to be a drop-in replacement for the emulation architecture featured in the design of WSL1.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't emulation. It was an NT subsystem module.
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
It wasn't emulation. It was an NT subsystem module.

I was using their own words...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows" Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
they no longer wanted to commit resources
I think they're inching toward abandoning Windows and "outsourcing" the development costs of the OS core. MS will add the Enterprise Features to Linux, which will then be the new MS Windows. Add AD, Exchange and 365, and they're ahead of everyone else (depending on how long it takes them). I think I made a comment like that not long after the current CEO was installed, and MS seems to be making incremental changes that suggest I might not be wrong.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's finally going to be the year of the Linux desktop!
Morality124
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows" Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Morality124 wrote:
they no longer wanted to commit resources
I think they're inching toward abandoning Windows and "outsourcing" the development costs of the OS core. MS will add the Enterprise Features to Linux, which will then be the new MS Windows. Add AD, Exchange and 365, and they're ahead of everyone else (depending on how long it takes them). I think I made a comment like that not long after the current CEO was installed, and MS seems to be making incremental changes that suggest I might not be wrong.

Funnily Lunduke made a similar hypothesis not that long ago too. That's what I would describe as the embrace-extend portion of their motivation (my mentioning of "other than E-E-E"), probably the long-term strategy - making the next MS OS like A/UX was except with the Windows userland grafted onto Linux instead of Mac System 7 grafted onto System V.

Actually, it's funny/sad to think that Microsoft may exploit Wine/Winelib to achieve this.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to see if the Enterprise Desktop ends up being.some variation of a locked down App Store based device where anything requiring compute power is done (in MS' case) on Azure.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summarizes what this is about.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if case-insensitivity inclusion into 5.2 is part of this. UNIX has always been case-sensitive and it is windows that isn't. Why the sudden push to add it?
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Shipping a Linux Kernel with Windows" Reply with quote

Morality124 wrote:
So basically it's coLinux
Wow, I remember beginning my Linux adventure 20years ago with coLinux - I stayd with it on Windows2000 for about 2years until I found courage to try SuSE - back then in Germany had a name like Redhat in the U.S.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: