USB killer - pure vandalism
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: USB killer - pure vandalism Reply with quote

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/18412427/college-saint-rose-student-guilty-usb-killer-destroyed-computers

Quote:
Student used ‘USB Killer’ device to destroy $58,000 worth of college computers

That guy did fry 66 PCs with an USB device designed to unload 200V via USB back to the machine. I did also some minor misdemeanor at my high school to PCs but it was more SW oriented and also the count was not 66.

Probably the USB killer device is not for children or young adults...
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a prick.

I hope he gets the maximum penalty.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a headline, but didn't read that it was voltage (I presumed firmware / software stuff).

I'm thinking that one way to handle non-violent crime is with a points system similar to speeding tickets / insurance. A certain amount of minor offenses are "forgiven" over time with good behavior, perhaps with appropriate fines. As the crime increases in severity / significance, so do the assessed points. Accumulation of "too many" points earns you a higher tax bracket.

Believing I had supernatural powers I slammed into a brick wall.
I said hey, is this my problem? Is this my fault?
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I saw a headline, but didn't read that it was voltage (I presumed firmware / software stuff).

I'm thinking that one way to handle non-violent crime is with a points system similar to speeding tickets / insurance. A certain amount of minor offenses are "forgiven" over time with good behavior, perhaps with appropriate fines. As the crime increases in severity / significance, so do the assessed points. Accumulation of "too many" points earns you a higher tax bracket.
the Germans did write about it here: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Mutwillige-Zerstoerung-58-000-US-Dollar-Schaden-durch-USB-Killer-4403890.html
200V accumulated via 5V from USB. A Condensor? Maybe or maybe a coil. I dont know i really did not study electronics too much or the USB Killer.
--they say here--
Quote:
The basic idea of the USB drive is quite simple. When we connect it up to the USB port, an inverting DC/DC converter runs and charges capacitors to -110V. When the voltage is reached, the DC/DC is switched off. At the same time, the filed transistor opens. It is used to apply the -110V to signal lines of the USB interface. When the voltage on capacitors increases to -7V, the transistor closes and the DC/DC starts. The loop runs till everything possible is broken down. Those familiar with the electronics have already guessed why we use negative voltage here. I‘ll explain to others that negative voltage is easier to commutate, as we need the N-channel field resistor, which, unlike the P-channel one, can have larger current for the same dimensions.
capacitators. but am not sure with those micro components so i can not tell it was not a coil: https://kukuruku.co/post/usb-killer/
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a textbook inverting boost converter. A switch, a diode, an inductor and some caps. A small AVR is probably used to generate the fixed duty own for the boost and then the timing to fire another fet to reconnect back to the usb

Dick move using this... The usb port should be capable of withstanding this but companies cut corners....
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Dick move using this... The usb port should be capable of withstanding this but companies cut corners....
not with deadlines during the development process. the poor guys who developed the usb circuit did not think of backfire. also you can call it cost reduction the cancer of the modern economy.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hero. He was shutting down $58000 of electrical deathtraps before they could put 200V into a person.
big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think if you're trying to hack some school computers, you're just looking to backdoor some crypto miners that run whenever the boxes are idling. that's infinitely better than just destroying a bunch of computers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: