View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Dual Monitor setup under KDE Reply with quote

I am rebuilding my KDE system with a new computer. Some new KDE software came out along the way and I noticed that I have to set up my dual monitor positions every time I log in.

I have tried to Nvidia X Server Settings. This no longer allows a login for root to save the settings. System settigs will let me make the changes, but these are apparently not being saved, either. I'm guessing that systemsettings is supposed to be the new method, but what do I have to do to make it work?
Jogie214
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the nvidia specifics (a couple of years ago they had a feature called TwinView), but have you tried editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-monitor.conf (the file just has to end in .conf ... the number if I'm not mistaken defines the order the files are processed). Here is an example from my file:
Code:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "DisplayPort-0"
        Option "Primary" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "HDMI-A-0"
        Option "RightOf" "DisplayPort-0"
EndSection

I hope that helps.

jogie214
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering.

The final solution was to log in as root and run nvidia-settings as root and then use that application to set up the orientation. I have found that setting the primary consolve correctly works if you save the settings as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Setting up with nvidia-settings when not root does not work after a reboot.

The systemsettings app does not work since it does not allow you to store the results as root and is reset after you reboot.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
The systemsettings app does not work since it does not allow you to store the results as root and is reset after you reboot.

Your system is not configured properly and that makes it impossible for your user to save the settings. It is the same issue as in the other 3 threads you opened recently.

Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Quote:

I agree that it should no be necessary. The saga of getting this computer running after moving the gentoo system from my old computer is messy but I am pretty sure I moved the relevant files using grsync with settings to preserve permissions. I also searched the Wiki as you admonished me to in another post.

So now I found that KDE didn't preserve my settings for some reason. The solution I described worked. It could very well be that somehow the permissions were wrong, but it silently accepted my monitor settings and did nothing that would let it carry over a reboot. The same thing happened with Nvidia-settings. This has happened before in the many years I have run KDE and Nvidia.

At the moment the owner and group on the KDE settings files are jc.jc. I am that person. If you have any insights on why they are not working, please advise me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: