View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: GNOME 3.30 for all init systems Reply with quote

GNOME 3.30 is now available in Gentoo Linux testing branch. Edit: This is now also available in the stable branch!

Starting with this release, GNOME on Gentoo once again works with OpenRC, in addition to the usual systemd option. This is achieved through the elogind project, a standalone logind implementation based on systemd code, which is currently maintained by a fellow Gentoo user. It provides the missing logind interfaces currently required by GNOME without booting with systemd.

For easier GNOME install, the desktop/gnome profiles now set up default USE flags with elogind for OpenRC systems, while the desktop/gnome/systemd profiles continue to do that for systemd systems. Both have been updated to provide a better initial GNOME install experience. After profile selection, a full install should be simply a matter of `emerge gnome` for testing branch users. Don't forget to adapt your system to any changed USE flags on previously installed packages too. If you did not use elogind before, you may need to restart, or at least re-login any open sessions. sys-auth/consolekit should not be used with GNOME.

GNOME 3.32 is expected to be made available in testing branch soon as well, followed by introducing all this for stable branch users. This is hoped to complete within 6-8 weeks.

If you encounter issues, don't hesitate to file bug reports or, if necessary, contact me via e-mail or IRC. You can also discuss here in this thread.

Acknowledgements

I'd like to thank Gavin Ferris, for kindly agreeing to sponsor my work on the above (upgrading GNOME on Gentoo from 3.26 to 3.30 and introducing Gentoo GNOME elogind support); and dantrell, for his pioneering overlay work integrating GNOME 3 with OpenRC on Gentoo, and also the GNOME and elogind projects.

Stuck by NeddySeagoon

Last edited by Leio on Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maffblaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Whoo! Thank you, leio! I use GNOME 3 on two laptops currently, so this is very nice news!
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, trying to install it now.

But I always get stuck in something trying to install vala:0.44?!

Code:
# emerge -va gnome

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-lang/vala:0.44".
(dependency required by "games-board/gnome-chess-3.30.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps-3.30.2::gentoo[games]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-3.30.2::gentoo[extras]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome" [argument])

Code:
# emerge -va1 gnome-chess

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] games-board/gnome-chess-3.28.1::gentoo  1,658 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 1,658 KiB

!!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:

games-board/gnome-chess:0

selected: (games-board/gnome-chess-3.28.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  skipped: (games-board/gnome-chess-3.30.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (see unsatisfied dependency below)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-lang/vala:0.44".
(dependency required by "games-board/gnome-chess-3.30.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any overlays added that may mess with your dependencies?
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more debugging and grepping I found it:

Code:
[I] dev-lang/vala
     Available versions: 
     (0.32) 0.32.1
     (0.34) 0.34.16
     (0.36) 0.36.15 ~0.36.17 ~0.36.18
     (0.40) ~0.40.13 ~0.40.14
     (0.42) ~0.42.5 ~0.42.6

Vala is ~amd64 beginning from 0.40. The gnome ebuilds use vala_depend() to generate a dependency list for different vala versions - seemingly up to 0.44. Instead of telling me to unmask 0.40 or 0.42 portage tries to install the nonexistent 0.44 and quits. :(
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to report back: Working now, woohooo :D
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I realize it's unsupported software, is there a migration path for the dantrell overlay users? Not necessarily a step-by-step guide, but just general advice?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
GNOME 3.30 is now available in Gentoo Linux testing branch.

Nice work.

saboya wrote:
While I realize it's unsupported software, is there a migration path for the dantrell overlay users? Not necessarily a step-by-step guide, but just general advice?

This is something I will document on my end after I review it but if you can't wait it's probably as easy as following the Uninstallation instructions in the project documentation while (1) skipping the unmerge of gnome/gnome-light and (2) selecting Gentoo's desktop/gnome profile when switching profiles.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One significant difference right now is, I believe, that the main tree work is in testing branch (~arch) for the time being, while dantrell has the selected GNOME version packages marked stable in his overlays. So if you are not a testing branch user, things are a bit more complicated to switch, as you'd need an extensive package.accept_keywords file to get elogind GNOME supporting packages visible from main tree on a stable system. I don't have a ready package.accept_keywords snippet to provide to help with this, however this will be solved on its own once we can stabilize this in (hopefully) 6-8 weeks. So one option for stable users is to just wait it out.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mind living on unstable for some stuff, but the amount of packages needed for gnome can be daunting. So I think I'll wait for now.

Anyway, I can't really thank dantrell enough for his superb work, and I'm glad Gentoo finally caught up on Gnome version, and supporting OpenRC at it. Thanks a lot for your work, and everyone involved.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your hard work! I'm so glad Gentoo now has a complete GNOME without systemd.
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably won't stop being amazed of what the Gentoo team is able to achieve. Thank you quite a lot - although I probably won't use it, I have a feeling that open source developers receive too few "thank you"s per month. This is a good situation to contribute to that amount. :)
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear, thank you. Will likely wait for stable before giving it a shot but appreciated.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GNOME 3.30 for all init systems Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
GNOME 3.30 is now available in Gentoo Linux testing branch.
Fantastic work leio, many thanks!

I have just tried this, building out a (~amd64, wayland) Gentoo / OpenRC / GNOME 3.30 system from scratch, essentially per my EFI Install Guide 'alternative track' flow (minus the extra overlays), and can confirm it all works pretty much out of the box, as advertised ^-^

A screenshot of the resulting system be viewed here.

The only (relatively minor) issue I encountered was when trying to turn on the "share" USE flag on gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps; this in turn tried to pull in sys-apps/systemd via unconditional RDEPEND from gnome-extra/gnome-user-share-3.28.0, so I just left it unset in the end, per the defaults. Pretty sure this USE flag can be set on dantrell's version though.

Anyway, once this all becomes available on the stable branch, I'll update my install guide instructions accordingly (and maybe even make OpenRC the 'default', and systemd the 'alternative', track - just for variety ^-^)

Thanks again to you, and of course to dantrell, for making this happen.

sakaki
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with gnome-user-share is that yes, it can be made to compile without systemd quite easily, but using it is another matter.
gnome-control-center/gnome-settings-daemon launches it via systemd API when file sharing is enabled in the Sharing settings panel. So this needs work to actually be seamless - I doubt many people will know to launch /usr/libexec/gnome-user-share-webdav manually to have it work; and at that point one could use some different solution to this, that'd work automatically without systemd.
That said, I think the autostart rules do work with openrc, so at least after a re-login it gets honored. But then there are concerns that it won't stop when sharing is disabled, which is questionable security.

So for now I juggled things around to not build this by default on gnome profile, shifting that default to systemd-only. I almost removed it completely (from the metas), and almost default disabled on systemd too, as I'm not sure many people really use this on Gentoo at all - but left the status quo for systemd for the time being, to revisit this all with 3.32, which has a new gnome-user-share release as well.
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else seeing this too? So far only Steam seems to be affected, but I couldnt figure out whats going on. I already tried re-merging dconf and glib, which didnt help. :cry:

Code:
./steamwebhelper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_log_structured_standard

Both packages involved (dconf+glib) were updated during the gnome merge.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hossie wrote:
Anyone else seeing this too? So far only Steam seems to be affected, but I couldnt figure out whats going on. I already tried re-merging dconf and glib, which didnt help. :cry:

Code:
./steamwebhelper: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_log_structured_standard

Both packages involved (dconf+glib) were updated during the gnome merge.

Yeah, I am. Can't open friends tab on Steam.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which version of glib?
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hossie wrote:

You might downgrade to 2.56.4 and see if it works then. 2.58.3 just got stabilized, so might have problems.
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glib got upgraded before it was stable because its a gnome dep:

Code:
  (dev-libs/glib-2.58.3:2/2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=dev-libs/glib-2.58.1:2 required by (gnome-base/gnome-core-libs-3.30.2:3.0/3.0::gentoo, installed)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone jumped the gun on stabilizing glib.

Well, 2 choices, either wait till they fix glib

OR
modify the ebuild to change glib version
from
>=dev-libs/glib-2.58.1:2
to
>=dev-libs/glib-2.56.4:2
(with no guarantee that it would work, it would need to be tried and tested.)

I would imagine that the glib constraint is a gentoo dev constraint vs a gnome constraint, but you could look inside the tarball and see what they really need as the base glib. ETA: Maybe not, it seems 2.58.1 is part of the gnome 3.30.2 hierarchy, although the earlier one might work. *shrugs*
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glib-2.58 was stabilized on purpose to get TLS 1.3 working again by bringing glib-networking to 2.58 as well (they should be in sync). That gets some RSS and e-mails to work again in gtk apps that got broken due to gnutls stable upgrade.

I know of no issues with dconf, or structured logging, or any changes in these versions at all with these updates, and haven't seen any bug reports to that effect. Perhaps someone file a bug, so it can be tracked and investigated in a suitable location.
It works for me, including steam yesterday (but on my main box, which is and stays systemd)
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have this problem at work. I was able to launch and use Steam with no issues. Using essentially the same system (dantrell-gnome 3.30). Hardware is different I'm very tentative to say this is not a hardware setup difference issue.
Hossie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont know what happened, but all this steam library madness is really annoying.

But running

Code:
steam --reset

fixes it (it deletes the steam installation, config, etc., but keeps installed games).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: