[solved] problem playing video streams on gentoo box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: [solved] problem playing video streams on gentoo box Reply with quote

I have created a chroot on my fast box to build binary packages for an old core2duo box and that works well. Now I happen to have problems on the old box, ex. with firefox, and thus would like to fire firefox of the chrooted environnement on the building host to troubleshoot them. But when trying to launch firefox after having chrooted I get: No protocol specified Error: cannot open display: :0

Is that even possible? I want to avoid to clone the whole chroot into a kvm vm in order to boot into it.

Or is it possible to setup a vm with the chroot root folder instead of a virtual disk to just be able to boot the chrooted gentoo instance somehow?

Last edited by Elleni on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running Firefox as your regular user ID (not necessary, but a much better idea than running it as root)? Did you set $DISPLAY correctly? Did you configure Xauthority correctly in the chroot?
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both, root and a useraccount - both showing
Code:
Error: cannot open display: :0

As to your question about $DISPLAY - probably not, I had just put the whole setup of the old box in this chroot and did not adjust any variable as the purpose was only to compile its own packages for the core2duo box. Only now I tried out to launch firefox from within chroot as on the old box I cannot display videos anymore.

What and where would I have to set for $DISPLAY and Xauthority?

From https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:X86/Chroot_Guide

I tried to mount -o bind /dev/pts to /chrooted/dev/pts copied .Xauthority to user and root within chroot - then chrooted in and issued export DISPLAY=":0.0" but still no luck.

When I fire firefox as user (su - user) or as chroot-root, I still get
Code:
firefox
No protocol specified
Error: cannot open display: :0.0

Tried with copied .Xauthority file of my user account and with the one of root.

Edit: I copied xauth* files from root of outside chroot to chroot-root and then it launches firefox when started as root; it does still not launch, when copying them to chroot-user and switching user with su before launching though

Last edited by Elleni on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to bind-mount /tmp/ too, that's where X hides its sockets.
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, and it now works as root, but not as chrooted user. Thanks for your questions which lead to the right direction :) Just have to figure out, how can I launch firefox with chrooted usercontext.

What I want to troubleshoot is why videos cannot be displayed on the old core2box anymore, and a first test shows that videos are displayed within chroot when firefox is launched as root although with no sound, but I guess this is because of the chroot launch. I will check if - on the box where these binaries are installed that were built from this chroot - video playback works, if firefox is launched as root. And I'll try to figure out, what step I missed in order to be able to launch firefox as user.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess, normal user in the chroot probably hasn't been added to the right groups for DRI or similar.
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thing is, it worked with no problems until recently. The symptom now is, firefox can still show videos in youtube for example. But when trying to watch tv on zattoo.com there is a big play button, that was not there before and that is not showed on my box. The commercial video plays but then the video of the channel just does not start. I started firefox on the mentioned box on terminal and following the output. Maybe this can help analyze what is needed to restore standard behaviour.

Code:
firefox
JavaScript warning: https://www.google-analytics.com/gtm/js?id=GTM-5FWQTBP&t=zwa&cid=1592423496.1553444104, line 118: unreachable code after return statement
JavaScript warning: https://www.google-analytics.com/gtm/js?id=GTM-5FWQTBP&t=zwa&cid=1592423496.1553444104, line 118: unreachable code after return statement
1553444125365   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
parseJSONManifest()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:471
parser()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:631
onLoad()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:651
UpdateParser/<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:576
1553444125378   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125405   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125418   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125435   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125557   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125571   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125583   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461
1553444125780   addons.update-checker   WARN    onUpdateCheckComplete failed to parse update manifest: [Exception... "Update manifest is missing a required addons property."  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm :: getRequiredProperty :: line 461"  data: no] Stack trace: getRequiredProperty()@resource://gre/modules/addons/AddonUpdateChecker.jsm:461

Where on my box where firefox works well with zattoo.com it only shows the following:
Code:
firefox
JavaScript warning: https://www.google-analytics.com/gtm/js?id=GTM-5FWQTBP&t=zwa&cid=1424441892.1553465744, line 120: unreachable code after return statement
JavaScript warning: https://www.google-analytics.com/gtm/js?id=GTM-5FWQTBP&t=zwa&cid=1424441892.1553465744, line 120: unreachable code after return statement
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even tried with firefox-bin but still the same. When I start zattoo and chose a channel, there is the commercial beeing played, and after that - when tv channel should show up there is this big playbutton, that is not supposed to be there.

https://pasteboard.co/I76nH3a.jpg

Youtube Videos do show though.

I also tried wilmaa.com and upctv.ch and both do not work either. On upctv I get a message, streaming is not supported for this browser. What could possibly be the source of these problems?

I doulblechecked that system is up to date and revdep-rebuild does not want to build anything, nor does emerge @preserved-rebuild. I compared and have the same plugins in firefox as on my other box, which is working fine.

Direct Rendering is enabled. And dmesg is not showing anything obvious.

emerge --info:
Code:
Portage 2.3.62 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma, gcc-8.2.0, glibc-2.27-r6, 4.19.27-gentoo-r1 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.19.27-gentoo-r1-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Duo_CPU_E8400_@_3.00GHz-with-gentoo-2.6
KiB Swap:   10489852 total,  10489852 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 634cfdeb9e9cfde1df9d85226644086c2c2412e6
sh bash 4.4_p23-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.30 p5) 2.30.0
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p23-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.26.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.15::gentoo, 3.6.5::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.38.3-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13-r1::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.16.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.30-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            8.2.0-r6::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     2.0::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1-r4::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.14-r1::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.27-r6::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

x-portage
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 0

seden
    priority: 50

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs candy config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="de_CH.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="de de_DE el en fr fr_FR it tr"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx d3d9 dbus declarative dri dri3 dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam ffmpeg flac fortran frei0r gdbm gif glamor gnutls gpm gtk iconv icu ipv6 jpeg kde kipi kwallet lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc llvm lm_sensors mad mmx mmxext mng mp3 mp4 mpeg mtp multilib ncurses nls nptl ocr ogg openal opencl opengl openmax openmp osmesa pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 readline realtime s3tc scanner sdl seccomp semantic-desktop spell spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 staging startup-notification svg tcpd theora tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb uxa vaapi vdpau vhost-net vorbis vpx webrtc-aec widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64 32" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext smp sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="de el en fr it tr" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" NETBEANS_MODULES="apisupport cnd groovy gsf harness ide identity j2ee java mobility nb php profiler soa visualweb webcommon websvccommon xml" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5 postgres10" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" SANE_BACKENDS="pixma" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeon radeonsi intel i965 virgl" XFCE_PLUGINS="clock power multiload-nandhp trash" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

groups username
Code:
lp wheel floppy audio cdrom video cdrw usb users portage games plugdev scanner kvm lp wheel floppy audio cdrom video cdrw usb users portage games plugdev scanner kvm username

emerge --info on the host where everything works well:
Code:
emerge --info
Portage 2.3.62 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma, gcc-8.2.0, glibc-2.28-r6, 5.0.7-gentoo x86_64)
System uname: Linux-5.0.7-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Ryzen_5_1600_Six-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.6
KiB Swap:   33554428 total,  33554172 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 18:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 25127a9e5a7f7f32ef2b667f67c925ceec6eede6
sh bash 4.4_p23-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.31.1 p5) 2.31.1
sys-apps/openrc:          0.29::dantrell-gnome
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r3::gentoo, 1.16.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.31.1-r4::gentoo
sys-libs/glibc:           2.28-r6::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

seden

dantrell-gnome-3-30
    priority: 100

test
    priority: 100

dantrell-gnome
    priority: 150

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=znver1"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=znver1"
ENV_UNSET="DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg candy config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
LANG="de_CH.utf8"
LC_ALL="de_CH.UTF-8"
MAKEOPTS="-j13"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities aes alsa amd64 avx avx2 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli colord crypt cups cxx d3d9 dbus declarative dri dri3 dts dvd dvdr eds egl elogind emboss encode evo exif fam ffmpeg flac fma3 fortran frei0r gdbm gif glamor gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gnutls gpm gtk gtk3 gtkstyle iconv icu introspection ios ipv6 jpeg kde kipi kwallet lcms ldap libinput libnotify libsecret libtirpc llvm lm_sensors mad mmx mmxext mng mp3 mp4 mpeg mtp multilib nautilus ncurses nls nptl ocr ogg openal opencl opengl openmax openmp osmesa pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 rdp readline realtime s3tc scanner sdl seccomp semantic-desktop spell spice sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssh ssl ssse3 staging startup-notification svg tcpd theora tiff tracker truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vaapi vdpau vhost-net vkd3d vnc vorbis vpx vulkan wayland webrtc-aec widgets wxwidgets x264 xa xattr xcb xcomposite xml xv xvid xvmc zlib" ABI_X86="64 32" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext smp sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="de el en fr it tr" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" NETBEANS_MODULES="apisupport cnd groovy gsf harness ide identity j2ee java mobility nb php profiler soa visualweb webcommon websvccommon xml" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5 postgres10" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="i386 x86_64" QEMU_USER_TARGETS="i386 x86_64" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" SANE_BACKENDS="pixma" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi virgl" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Last edited by Elleni on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what really puzzles me is that I can launch firefox from the chroot where I build the binaries for the second box, so it is the exact same binary and it works as intended from within my chroot :evil:

Having renamed .mozilla folder did not help either, so I am out of ideas. :cry:

Maybe it has nothing to do with firefox itself? Is the system screwed somewhere else?
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, need desperately an idea here, how to proceed analyzing this, as the user can't use onlinetv apps anymore; user has with no experience on linux/gentoo, but using it, and I had setup this old box and did support it and keep it up to date by compiling binaries on my box because of compile time on old core2duo was to long, and until recently it was rock-solid and worked very well and the user was really happy with that box until now. I am out of ideas.

Maybe its time to replace it soon with more powerfull hardware, and do a fresh install. But until then I'd like to restore normal behaviour.

I never saw this big play button, and have no clue what this could be.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to emerge firefox-bin on the target box and see if it behaves differently than compiled firefox from the chroot.
It's just a binary so it won't tax the low power box.
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote earlier I already tried that, and unfortunatelly it shows the same error. But thanks for your post anyways. I am out of ideas :oops:
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I cannot reproduce the error on my end on the box where I build the binaries in a chroot, even when starting firefox from chrooted environnement I am a bit lost. Especially as even firefox-bin emerged on the target box showing the same behaviour. And other browser indicate that streaming is not supported.

So this maybe does not have to do anything with firefox but with something else on this box?

It looks like this:

https://pasteboard.co/I76nH3a.jpg

I am desperately out of ideas.

Youtube videos work.

And even on zattoo the video with the comercials is played, but after that at the moement it is supposed to start playback of the tv channel, it shows this the big play button above.

Any help is really apreciated.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the versions of what is installed compare across both boxes and both chroots? That video works, mostly, seems to point toward a codec or something similar (ffmpeg or something like that).

Is the problem chroot environment the same one, or do you rebuild it each time you update it?
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chroot (always the same one, dedicated to just build packages for the target) was built when I bought my new ryzen box. Before I had similar hardware so I just built binaries on my host, uploaded them to my vps, mounted packages and built binaries on the target machine.

On my new box, I built a chroot where I copied targets /, adjusted make.conf and started building the binaries within chroot. This all worked fairly well for more than a year. Lately I decided to cleanup package.accept_keywords and package.use within chroot and the target box in order to be more stable than I was. Thats where the problems started.

I will compare/doublecheck if environnement on target machine and chroot are identical, as soon as I get access to the target box.

In the meantime following the informations from within chroot:

emerge --info
Code:

Portage 2.3.62 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma, gcc-8.2.0, glibc-2.28-r6, 5.0.7-gentoo x86_64)
System uname: Linux-5.0.7-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Ryzen_5_1600_Six-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.6
KiB Swap:   33554428 total,  33554172 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 18:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 25127a9e5a7f7f32ef2b667f67c925ceec6eede6
sh bash 4.4_p23-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.31.1 p5) 2.31.1
sys-apps/openrc:          0.38.3-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.16.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.31.1-r4::gentoo
sys-libs/glibc:           2.28-r6::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

x-portage
    priority: 0

seden

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg candy config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
LANG="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="de_CH.UTF-8"
MAKEOPTS="-j13"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx d3d9 dbus declarative dri dri3 dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam ffmpeg flac fortran frei0r gdbm gif glamor gnutls gpm gtk iconv icu ipv6 jpeg kde kipi kwallet lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc llvm lm_sensors mad mmx mmxext mng mp3 mp4 mpeg mtp multilib ncurses nls nptl ocr ogg openal opencl opengl openmax openmp osmesa pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 readline realtime s3tc scanner sdl seccomp semantic-desktop spell spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 staging startup-notification svg tcpd theora tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb uxa vaapi vdpau vhost-net vorbis vpx webrtc-aec widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64 32" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="de el en fr it tr" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" NETBEANS_MODULES="apisupport cnd groovy gsf harness ide identity j2ee java mobility nb php profiler soa visualweb webcommon websvccommon xml" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5 postgres10" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" SANE_BACKENDS="pixma" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeon radeonsi intel i965 virgl" XFCE_PLUGINS="clock power multiload-nandhp trash" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"

make.conf
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3"
USE="d3d9 dri3 ffmpeg frei0r gnutls icu -livav llvm lm_sensors mmx mmxext mtp ocr openal opencl openmax osmesa pdf pulseaudio realtime scanner s3tc spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 staging -systemd theora uxa vaapi vdpau vhost-net vpx webrtc-aec"
ABI_X86="64 32"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
MAKEOPTS="-j13"
VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeon radeonsi intel i965 virgl"
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
L10N="de el en fr it tr"
FEATURES="buildpkg candy"
# FEATURES="buildpkg candy -collision-protect -protect-owned -xattr"
SANE_BACKENDS="pixma"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

package.accept_keywords:
Code:
# sys-kernel/gentoo-sources ~amd64
media-video/simplescreenrecorder ~amd64
kde-misc/kdeconnect ~amd64
net-misc/teamviewer ~amd64
app-backup/kup ~amd64
app-backup/bup ~amd64
=media-video/ffmpeg-4.1.1 ~amd64
# required by media-video/vlc-3.0.4::gentoo[vpx]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=media-libs/libvpx-1.7.0 ~amd64
# required by dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.3::gentoo
# required by www-client/falkon-3.0.1-r1::gentoo
# required by kde-apps/kdecore-meta-18.08.3-r1::gentoo[webengine]
# required by kde-apps/kde-apps-meta-18.08.3::gentoo
# required by @selected
=media-libs/libwebp-1.0.2 ~amd64
media-plugins/alsa-plugins ~amd64
# required by media-video/simplescreenrecorder-0.3.11-r1::gentoo
# required by @selected
=media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.8 ~amd64

package.license:
Code:
# required by adobe-flash (argument)
>=www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.400 AdobeFlash-11.x
# required by skype (argument)
>=net-im/skype-4.3.0.37-r5 skype-4.0.0.7-copyright
# required by opera (argument)
www-client/opera OPERA-2014
# required by @selected
>=net-misc/teamviewer-12.0.76279 TeamViewer

=media-sound/teamspeak-client-bin-3.0.19.4-r1 teamspeak3

package.use:
Code:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources symlink
app-emulation/qemu usbredir virgl virtfs xattr
app-emulation/libvirt virt-network
app-office/libreoffice pdfimport
net-misc/spice-gtk usbredir
net-misc/networkmanager -nss
dev-lang/python sqlite
dev-libs/xmlsec gcrypt nss
kde-apps/kget bittorrent
sys-block/gparted fat ntfs
>=media-libs/libsdl2-2.0.8-r2 haptic

www-client/firefox system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite system-webp
# required by www-client/firefox-60.5.2::gentoo[system-sqlite]
# required by @selected
>=dev-db/sqlite-3.25.3 secure-delete
# required by www-client/firefox-60.5.2::gentoo[system-libvpx]
# required by @selected
>=media-libs/libvpx-1.7.0 postproc

The system-* useflags for firefox I added to test if it works with them (no success), as on my host box (not in its chroot, those are enabled aparently):
emerge -pv firefox:
Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies   ... done!           
[ebuild   R   ~] www-client/firefox-66.0.2::gentoo  USE="dbus gmp-autoupdate pulseaudio screenshot startup-notification system-av1 system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite system-webp wayland -bindist -clang -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel -jack -lto (-neon) -pgo (-selinux) -test -wifi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="-avx2" L10N="de el fr it tr -ach -af -an -ar -as -ast -az -bg -bn-BD -bn-IN -br -bs -ca -cak -cs -cy -da -dsb -en-GB -en-ZA -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -id -is -ja -ka -kab -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -nn -or -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -ta -te -th -uk -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

package.accept_keywords.old (most probably the one before I decided to cleanup-where things still worked well):
Code:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources ~amd64
app-emulation/wine ~amd64
# required by @selected
media-video/flowblade ~amd64
# required by media-video/flowblade-1.8::x-portage
# required by flowblade (argument)
=media-gfx/gmic-1.6.5.1 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=kde-misc/kio-mtp-0.75_p20150403 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=net-im/skype-4.3.0.37-r6 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=media-video/openshot-2.1.0 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=app-portage/kuroo4-0.90.5 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=media-video/simplescreenrecorder-0.3.8 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=app-emulation/winetricks-20160724 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=app-emulation/playonlinux-4.2.10 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=media-video/lives-1.4.6 ~amd64
# required by @selected
=kde-misc/kdeconnect-1.0.3 ~amd64
# required by glmark2 (argument)
=app-benchmarks/glmark2-9999 **
# required by kdeconnect (argument)
=kde-misc/kdeconnect-1.0.2 ~amd64
# required by media-libs/libopenshot-0.1.2::gentoo
# required by @preserved-rebuild (argument)
=net-libs/cppzmq-0_pre150606 ~amd64
# required by @preserved-rebuild (argument)
=media-libs/libopenshot-0.1.2 ~amd64
# required by radeontop (argument)
=x11-apps/radeontop-0.9 ~amd64
# required by media-libs/libopenshot-audio:0 (argument)
=media-libs/libopenshot-audio-0.1.2-r1 ~amd64
# required by gmtp (argument)
=media-sound/gmtp-1.3.10 ~amd64
# required by skypeforlinux (argument)
=net-im/skypeforlinux-5.3.0.1 ~amd64
# required by teamviewer (argument)
=net-misc/teamviewer-12.0.76279 ~amd64

package.use.old:
Code:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources symlink
# required by virtual/ffmpeg-9-r1
# required by media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.27-r1[ffmpeg]
# required by media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2[alsa]
# required by media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130428-r1[pulseaudio]
# required by media-video/smplayer-0.8.5
# required by smplayer (argument)
media-video/ffmpeg threads
# required by media-video/mplayer2-2.0_p20130428-r1
# required by media-video/smplayer-0.8.5
# required by smplayer (argument)
virtual/ffmpeg threads
dev-lang/python sqlite
# required by app-emulation/virt-manager-1.1.0
# required by virt-manager (argument)
##=app-emulation/libvirt-glib-0.1.9 python
##app-emulation/spice client
app-emulation/qemu xattr virtfs
app-emulation/libvirt virt-network
media-video/openshot python_single_target_python3_4
media-libs/libopenshot python_single_target_python3_4
# required by media-video/openshot-1.4.3::gentoo
# required by openshot (argument)
media-libs/mlt frei0r python
media-video/flowblade python_targets_python2_7
# required by flowblade (argument)
media-sound/sox ladspa
media-video/vlc upnp
# required by app-emulation/qemu-2.4.0-r1::gentoo[qemu_softmmu_targets_x86_64,-qemu_softmmu_targets_i386,-qemu_softmmu_targets_or32,-qemu_softmmu_targets_moxie,-qemu_softmmu_targets_ppc,-qemu_softmmu_targets_tricore,-qemu_softmmu_targets_mips64el,-qemu_softmmu_targets_xtensaeb,-qemu_softmmu_targets_mips,-qemu_softmmu_targets_arm,-qemu_softmmu_targets_s390x,-qemu_softmmu_targets_sparc64,-qemu_softmmu_targets_ppcemb,-qemu_softmmu_targets_aarch64,-static-softmmu,-qemu_softmmu_targets_mips64,opengl,-qemu_softmmu_targets_lm32,-qemu_softmmu_targets_microblazeel,-qemu_softmmu_targets_unicore32,-qemu_softmmu_targets_sh4,-qemu_softmmu_targets_mipsel,-qemu_softmmu_targets_m68k,-qemu_softmmu_targets_microblaze,-qemu_softmmu_targets_cris,-qemu_softmmu_targets_sh4eb,-qemu_softmmu_targets_sparc,-qemu_softmmu_targets_xtensa,-qemu_softmmu_targets_alpha,-qemu_softmmu_targets_ppc64]
# required by app-emulation/libvirt-1.2.18-r1::gentoo[qemu]
# required by app-emulation/libvirt-glib-0.2.2::gentoo
# required by app-emulation/virt-manager-1.1.0-r2::gentoo
# required by @selected
media-libs/mesa gles2
# required by net-im/skype-4.3.0.37-r6::gentoo
# required by @selected
dev-qt/qtwebkit -exceptions
# required by dev-python/PyQt5-5.5.1::gentoo[webkit]
# required by media-video/openshot-2.0.6::gentoo
# required by @selected
dev-qt/qtwebkit printsupport
# required by sys-libs/ldb-1.1.26::gentoo
# required by net-fs/samba-4.2.9::gentoo
# required by app-emulation/playonlinux-4.2.8::gentoo[winbind]
# required by @selected
sys-libs/tevent python
# required by app-portage/kuroo4-0.90.4::gentoo
# required by @selected
media-video/simplescreenrecorder -qt4
net-misc/networkmanager -nss
kde-apps/kget bittorrent
sys-block/gparted fat ntfs
# required by sys-devel/clang-3.7.1-r100::gentoo
# required by media-libs/mesa-12.0.1::gentoo[opencl]
# required by app-emulation/wine-1.8.3::gentoo[osmesa]
# required by wine (argument)
>=sys-devel/llvm-3.7.1-r3 clang
gnome-base/gvfs ios
# required by app-emulation/virt-manager-1.3.2::gentoo
# required by @selected
>=app-emulation/libvirt-glib-0.2.3-r1 python
=dev-python/PyQt5-5.7.1 webkit
# required by app-text/pdftk-2.02::gentoo
# required by pdftk (argument)
>=sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3 gcj
app-office/libreoffice pdfimport
# required by app-emulation/libvirt-2.5.0-r2::gentoo[virt-network]
# required by @selected
>=net-dns/dnsmasq-2.76-r1 script
# required by app-emulation/virt-manager-1.4.0-r3::gentoo[gtk]
# required by @selected
>=net-misc/spice-gtk-0.33-r2 usbredir gtk3
# required by app-office/calligra-3.0.1::gentoo[calligra_features_karbon]
# required by @selected
>=media-gfx/pstoedit-3.70-r1 plotutils

world file:
Code:
app-admin/logrotate
app-admin/syslog-ng
app-arch/unrar
app-backup/kup
app-emulation/aqemu
app-emulation/libvirt
app-emulation/qemu
app-emulation/spice
app-emulation/virt-manager
app-emulation/wine-any
app-emulation/winetricks
app-office/calligra
app-office/libreoffice
app-portage/cpuid2cpuflags
app-portage/eix
app-portage/genlop
app-portage/gentoolkit
app-portage/layman
app-portage/porthole
app-text/wgetpaste
dev-util/android-tools
kde-apps/k3b
kde-apps/kde-apps-meta
kde-apps/kdenlive
kde-misc/kdeconnect
kde-plasma/plasma-meta
lxde-base/lxde-meta
lxde-base/lxdm
mail-client/thunderbird
mail-mta/ssmtp
media-fonts/corefonts
media-fonts/dejavu
media-fonts/oxygen-fonts
media-gfx/krita
media-gfx/sane-backends
media-gfx/xsane
media-video/simplescreenrecorder
media-video/smplayer
media-video/vlc
net-fs/sshfs
net-misc/dhcpcd
net-misc/teamviewer
net-misc/tigervnc
net-print/cups
net-print/gutenprint
sys-apps/lshw
sys-apps/mlocate
sys-apps/pciutils
sys-apps/usbutils
sys-block/gparted
sys-block/partitionmanager
sys-boot/grub
sys-boot/syslinux
sys-devel/binutils
sys-devel/gcc
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
sys-kernel/linux-firmware
sys-libs/glibc
sys-power/upower
sys-process/htop
sys-process/vixie-cron
virtual/wine
www-client/firefox
www-client/opera
www-plugins/adobe-flash
x11-apps/mesa-progs
x11-base/xorg-x11
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
x11-misc/driconf
x11-misc/wmname
x11-misc/xautolock
x11-misc/xsensors
x11-terms/xfce4-terminal
x11-themes/light-themes
x11-themes/murrine-themes
x11-themes/nimbus
x11-themes/oxygen-molecule
x11-themes/redhat-artwork
x11-themes/shiki-colors
x11-themes/tactile3
x11-themes/xfwm4-themes
x11-themes/zukini
xfce-base/xfce4-meta
xfce-extra/thunar-archive-plugin
xfce-extra/thunar-volman
xfce-extra/tumbler
xfce-extra/xfce4-mount-plugin
xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager
xfce-extra/xfce4-sensors-plugin
xfce-extra/xfce4-verve-plugin
xfce-extra/xfce4-volumed-pulse
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
The chroot (always the same one, dedicated to just build packages for the target) was built when I bought my new ryzen box. Before I had similar hardware so I just built binaries on my host, uploaded them to my vps, mounted packages and built binaries on the target machine.

On my new box, I built a chroot where I copied targets /, adjusted make.conf and started building the binaries within chroot. This all worked fairly well for more than a year.
This sounds like you're mixing historical / no longer used methodology with a newer and more recent methodology. It is a bit confusing and doesn't seem relevant given that something "worked fairly well for more than a year." My comments were more about you evaluating "worked" and "doesn't work" and comparing the differences.

Elleni wrote:
Lately I decided to cleanup package.accept_keywords and package.use within chroot and the target box in order to be more stable than I was. Thats where the problems started.
This seems like the important part. And I'm going to guess you don't have backups or any copies of what you changed?

The only other option I can think of now is creating a new chroot (keep the current "broken" one too). In the new chroot, use defaults. No wonky optimizations or other "improvements." Choose a desktop profile and that's it. If that works, then maybe you can narrow down the differences.
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think, the problem could have started because of having decided to delete package.accept_keywords too and package.use and then re-added only things, portage demanded to get a more stable (less unstable packages) environment @target box. The only backups I have are the posted package.accept_keywords.old and package.use.old

After having rebuilt everything within chroot and created corresponding binaries, I should be able to transfer everything to the target box by just issuing emerge -eavk?

I will try to do so, but how to assure that there are no wrong config files persisting of the current install that could create problem(s)? I understand your suggestion about a new chroot, but being a bit limited on space on the userhome, where the chroot is located; would it be also reasonable to just chroot into the actual chroot and emerge -eav while creating new binaries for the whole world-set of packages after having checked that there are only sane settings in make.conf and the correct profile is selected?

Thanks for your suggestion, which I think leads me to the right direction. I'll post when done.
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had planned to add a radeon gpu on the target box, I had put the corresponding VIDEO_CARDS setting in make.conf, in the meantime I have decided that I will remove it again as I will rather replace the whole box than the gpu only. Thus I removed "amdgpu radeon radeonsi" before trying to rebuild world -e in chrooted environnement. Then I was told by portage to remove d3d9 too, which I did. Now it tells me:
Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies                                  ... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "dev-libs/libclc" has unmet requirements.
- dev-libs/libclc-0.2.0_pre20190313::gentoo USE="" ABI_X86="(64)" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia -r600 -radeonsi"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    any-of ( video_cards_nvidia video_cards_r600 video_cards_radeonsi )

(dependency required by "media-libs/mesa-18.3.6::gentoo[opencl,gallium]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/cairo-1.16.0-r3::gentoo[opengl]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/pango-1.42.4::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-qt/qtwidgets-5.11.3::gentoo[gtk]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/polkit-qt-0.112.0_p20160416-r2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "kde-plasma/polkit-kde-agent-5.14.5::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/polkit-0.115-r2::gentoo[kde]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/consolekit-1.2.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/pambase-20150213-r2::gentoo[consolekit]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-libs/pam-1.3.0-r2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-apps/util-linux-2.33-r1::gentoo[pam]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-libs/glib-2.58.3::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "dev-qt/qtcore-5.11.3-r2::gentoo" [ebuild])

So what else is needed in order to solve this conflict? What is pulling this as I dont have seen anything obvious (to me) in world file, or the packages.* or make.conf files.

I found https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux.gentoo.dev/UXfY8eqgodw
after which I also removed opencl from USE-flags in make.conf which solves above conflict.

Which leads me to the question if any of the other useflags in make.conf are obsolete too? And if some other USE-flags are missing that would be essential for video playback, codec or ffmpeg stuff?

Code:
dri3 ffmpeg frei0r gnutls icu -livav llvm lm_sensors mmx mmxext mtp ocr openal openmax osmesa pdf pulseaudio realtime scanner s3tc spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 staging -systemd theora uxa vaapi vdpau vhost-net vpx webrtc-aec

Thanks in advance for review and advice.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only another user, but I've never seen a minus sign in VIDEO_CARDS
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia -r600 -radeonsi"

On my radeon machine:
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon r600"

If r600 is wrong for your machine, I would try this (remember, I'm just another user with no expertise)
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
After having rebuilt everything within chroot and created corresponding binaries, I should be able to transfer everything to the target box by just issuing emerge -eavk?
Do you have any "disaster" recovery plan? I've not done it, so I can't say for certain. I'd use -K (only use binaries) instead of -k (use binaries if available).

Elleni wrote:
I will try to do so, but how to assure that there are no wrong config files persisting of the current install that could create problem(s)?
Without creating an inventory and going through everything, I don't know of a way. That's another advantage of starting with a clean environment. I wouldn't "practice" on a system that you expected to be functional. Another option might be to do some testing in a VM. Once you've backed up the system that you're trying to get working, you can start fresh on it.

Elleni wrote:
I understand your suggestion about a new chroot, but being a bit limited on space on the userhome, where the chroot is located; would it be also reasonable to just chroot into the actual chroot and emerge -eav while creating new binaries for the whole world-set of packages after having checked that there are only sane settings in make.conf and the correct profile is selected?
Sounds like creating a bigger mess to me. If I had space constraints, I'd back up the user data and get rid of everything old. From my perspective, it sounds like too much has been done to expect an easy fix at this point. Given that scenario, I'd much prefer to have to build it up from nothing. You might still end up in the same situation, but you'll then know you have a "clean" environment.

Elleni wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion, which I think leads me to the right direction. I'll post when done.
You're welcome. That's mainly what I was hoping to offer, just some other avenues that didn't appear to have been attempted.

I'd also recommend, if you don't already have something, coming up with a means of creating backups of configuration files before making changes. A simple tar of /etc/portage would do if that's all you change, or all of /etc for simplicity. Then whenever you change something outside of /etc or ~, add it to the list to be backed up. I'd also suggest making fewer changes at any one time unless you have an "easy" restore process to undo them.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Which leads me to the question if any of the other useflags in make.conf are obsolete too? And if some other USE-flags are missing that would be essential for video playback, codec or ffmpeg stuff?

Code:
dri3 ffmpeg frei0r gnutls icu -livav llvm lm_sensors mmx mmxext mtp ocr openal openmax osmesa pdf pulseaudio realtime scanner s3tc spice sse sse2 sse3 ssh ssl ssse3 staging -systemd theora uxa vaapi vdpau vhost-net vpx webrtc-aec

Thanks in advance for review and advice.
You can search using 'euse -i'. Example (is livav supposed to be libav?):
Code:
$ euse -i livav
global use flags (searching: livav)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: livav)
no matching entries found
$ euse -i libav
global use flags (searching: libav)
[-      ] libav - Prefer libav over ffmpeg whenever both are supported

local use flags (searching: libav)
[-      ] libav
    media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav: Use bundled ffmpeg to support
    systems using media-video/libav globally instead of media-video/ffmpeg
        [-  ] (1.0) 1.14.4.3.4.5 [gentoo]
        [-  ] (1.0) 1.14.4.4.1.1_p20190113 [gentoo]
        [-  ] (1.0) 1.14.4.4.1_p20181115 [gentoo]

Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
I'm only another user, but I've never seen a minus sign in VIDEO_CARDS
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia -r600 -radeonsi"

On my radeon machine:
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon r600"

If r600 is wrong for your machine, I would try this (remember, I'm just another user with no expertise)
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"

Hi Tony, and thanks for your post. The mentioned output comes from an emerge, I do not have -nvidia or -radeon set. I only had prepared this system to install an amd gpu but never did so now I just removed obsolete VIDEO_CARDS variables.
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Without creating an inventory and going through everything, I don't know of a way. That's another advantage of starting with a clean environment. I wouldn't "practice" on a system that you expected to be functional. Another option might be to do some testing in a VM. Once you've backed up the system that you're trying to get working, you can start fresh on it.

Thanks for that one, I'll better use -K you are right. My problem is diskspace, so I dont have the possibility to follow your certainly correct suggestions on a new chroot or VM. On the other side I plan to buy a replacement box soon, so that would be my recovery plan :)

At least watching tv is not the primary usecase for this production box and everything else needed still works. But I realize your words and keep them in mind for future actions, thank you!

pjp wrote:
Sounds like creating a bigger mess to me. If I had space constraints, I'd back up the user data and get rid of everything old. From my perspective, it sounds like too much has been done to expect an easy fix at this point. Given that scenario, I'd much prefer to have to build it up from nothing. You might still end up in the same situation, but you'll then know you have a "clean" environment.

pjp wrote:
You're welcome. That's mainly what I was hoping to offer, just some other avenues that didn't appear to have been attempted.
You did, and that really helps. I will backup the config files, world and make.conf files, maybe whole /etc to have the important informations available if needed. The userdata are not in my chroot so nothing to care of here at least.

pjp wrote:
I'd also recommend, if you don't already have something, coming up with a means of creating backups of configuration files before making changes. A simple tar of /etc/portage would do if that's all you change, or all of /etc for simplicity. Then whenever you change something outside of /etc or ~, add it to the list to be backed up. I'd also suggest making fewer changes at any one time unless you have an "easy" restore process to undo them.

Again, thank you very much for those usefull recommendations which I will gladly follow in order to be able to quickly revert once something will fail in the future.

I'll report as soon as I had access to the target box and having installed new binaries with emerge -eavK.

At the moment the host is rebuilding packages and is making good progress (1253 of 1499) :)
Elleni
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record - it works now so problem is solved :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: