[solved] Another python mess
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: [solved] Another python mess Reply with quote

After a normal update which took all day because it involved huge packages like mesa, llvm, and qtgui. I re-synced this morning and 87 packages were selected by emerge -auvND world, but only 2 by emerge -auvUD world. The other 85 were rebuilds because of the new flag -python3.4 which I don't even have on this system (2.7 3.5 3.6)
How can I fix this without a day of redundant builds rebuilding the same packages with the same python? Just never use the N flag again? Or is there something like packages.provided to tell portage that 3.4 is long gone?

Last edited by Tony0945 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use only -U option instead of -N because at least this way I compile only package afflicted by change

EDIT: I think you can change some entries in /var/db/pkg/<category>/<package> so as not to recompile with -N option

Example for dev-python/dbus-python:
before emerge
Code:
# emerge -uDN @world
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/dbus-python-1.2.4::gentoo  USE="-doc -examples -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6 -python3_5 (-python3_4%)" 0 KiB

Code:
# grep python3_4 /var/db/pkg/dev-python/dbus-python-1.2.4/*
DEPEND:>=dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100:0/0= >=sys-apps/dbus-1.6:0/0= >=dev-lang/python-2.7.5-r2:2.7[threads(+)] dev-lang/python:3.6[threads(+)] >=dev-lang/python-exec-2:2/2=[python_targets_python2_7(-),python_targets_python3_6(-),-python_single_target_python2_7(-),-python_single_target_python3_4(-),-python_single_target_python3_5(-),-python_single_target_python3_6(-)] virtual/pkgconfig >=app-portage/elt-patches-20170422 !<sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r3 || ( >=sys-devel/automake-1.16.1:1.16 >=sys-devel/automake-1.15.1:1.15 ) >=sys-devel/autoconf-2.69 >=sys-devel/libtool-2.4
IUSE:doc examples test python_targets_python2_7 python_targets_python3_4 python_targets_python3_5 python_targets_python3_6
IUSE_EFFECTIVE:abi_x86_64 alpha amd64 amd64-fbsd amd64-linux arm arm-linux arm64 doc elibc_AIX elibc_Cygwin elibc_Darwin elibc_DragonFly elibc_FreeBSD elibc_HPUX elibc_Interix elibc_NetBSD elibc_OpenBSD elibc_SunOS elibc_Winnt elibc_bionic elibc_glibc elibc_mingw elibc_mintlib elibc_musl elibc_uclibc examples hppa ia64 kernel_AIX kernel_Darwin kernel_FreeBSD kernel_HPUX kernel_NetBSD kernel_OpenBSD kernel_SunOS kernel_Winnt kernel_freemint kernel_linux m68k m68k-mint mips ppc ppc-aix ppc-macos ppc64 ppc64-linux prefix prefix-chain prefix-guest python_targets_python2_7 python_targets_python3_4 python_targets_python3_5 python_targets_python3_6 s390 sh sparc sparc-solaris sparc64-solaris test userland_BSD userland_GNU x64-cygwin x64-macos x64-solaris x86 x86-cygwin x86-fbsd x86-linux x86-macos x86-solaris x86-winnt
RDEPEND:>=dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.100:0/0= >=sys-apps/dbus-1.6:0/0= >=dev-lang/python-2.7.5-r2:2.7[threads(+)] dev-lang/python:3.6[threads(+)] >=dev-lang/python-exec-2:2/2=[python_targets_python2_7(-),python_targets_python3_6(-),-python_single_target_python2_7(-),-python_single_target_python3_4(-),-python_single_target_python3_5(-),-python_single_target_python3_6(-)]

after emerge
Code:
# grep python3_4 /var/db/pkg/dev-python/dbus-python-1.2.4/*
#

Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 edits is preferable to 80 package builds!
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
80 edits is preferable to 80 package builds!

Or not use -N option
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Or not use -N option

Ever again? Because of python? I want to know about new options in the end user packages.
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Ever again? Because of python? I want to know about new options in the end user packages.

You can use -N only for check if there is a new interesting use flag, anyway next package update you can see new use flag and usually it come with a new version of the package
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the stable box after python-3.6 emerged (newly stable)
Code:
* You have just upgraded from an older version of Python.
 * Please adjust PYTHON_TARGETS (if so desired), and run emerge with the --newuse or --changed-use option to rebuild packages installing python modules.

The wiki also talks about setting PYTHON_TARGETS in make.conf
I thought we were supposed to let the profile do this?
Are we now supposed to set these pseudo use flags in make.conf?
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
The wiki also talks about setting PYTHON_TARGETS in make.conf
I thought we were supposed to let the profile do this?
Are we now supposed to set these pseudo use flags in make.conf?

I think that the message is referred to who changed these variables in the make.conf.
If you haven't done it, the profile sets it for you.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to edit the package database, I think only IUSE needs to be modified. You should ignore DEPEND/RDEPEND. IUSE is easily edited with sed for simple tasks like forcing a flag on/off.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If you want to edit the package database, I think only IUSE needs to be modified. You should ignore DEPEND/RDEPEND. IUSE is easily edited with sed for simple tasks like forcing a flag on/off.

I was thinking sed would be useful. A script with grep and sed.

Will pythn 4 be this messy?

The local community college had a course in python this quarter but I missed the registration guideline. I don't know if I want to study a language with such an unstable ABI. C++ keeps changing but backward compatability is maintained with command line switches which can be set in individual package environments. I have "-python" in my make.conf USE, but there are so many packages that need it that the flag probably isn't doing much.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: