unable to properly use an encrypted ext4 via samba
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: unable to properly use an encrypted ext4 via samba Reply with quote

I have an existing folder called /home/VAULT/, which is shared via samba. That folder is encrypted via ext4's file system feature. This is what I used to do: samba starts up on bootup, I login as a user and run my /usr/sbin/e4crypt commands. When I go back to the directory `ls` on the target looks proper. I can read all of the files.

Today, I had to migrated the storage drives to a different server. I was not able to take the OS with me, because the software was compiled for a newer intel cpu and this cpu is one generation older. Alright, time to switch to systemd anyway. I took .config, make.conf, samba, ... all the config settings from the older server to the new server. It should be the same.

Everything is looking good. The last thing that needs to be done is to share /home/VAULT/.

I follow my usual procedure, but everything stays encrypted on the target. Locally everything works fine.

This is how I can get it kinda to work.

1 - /usr/sbin/e4crypt needs to be run as root
2 - an `ls` in any sub folder does not give me anything. everything is encrypted
3 - if i run `touch` against a pre-existing file or a new file, all the file names become human readable down to that subfolder. It follows the tree.
4 - however, reading any file still does not work
5 - if i touch the file on the source, the target site gets read access

i tried mounting the share with noacl, but no luck. Any ideas?
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe this has anything to do samba, because if I switch over to NFS I see the same behavior. What ever I touch or previously has been touched is available in the same format.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: