View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Firefox thinks it needs to restart for nonexistent updates Reply with quote

Since recently, after a random amount of time (usually a few hours) the browser will randomly start malfunctioning: nothing at all happens when attempting to open new tabs, and new windows give me the standard "there was an update, click here to restart" error page. This is never related to an actual update, in fact when I went from 65 to 66 yesterday it didn't even display that message! I can continue browsing within *existing* tabs, but it keeps railroading me into a restart. Where do I begin diagnosing this?

(I should mention I switched to vm.overcommit_memory=2 a while ago too, but this seems like a very unlikely fallout from that)
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month or so, I had the same behavior as I was initialising a drupal instance via firefox.
I feared some attack via drupal initialisation process.
So I rebuilded firefox profile and drupal + mysql later on alltogether.
The rebuild was done one drupal version further and issue didn't rise again.
Because of # version I can't insure initial drupal was the cause.

As of today the issue only raised once.

I can only share my experience, no idea how to diagnose, though, sorry.

Thks 4 ur attention.

Last edited by CaptainBlood on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have that when I recompile firefox in the background and after that has finished try to open another tab.
So if you did not recompile firefox there must be something else happening.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught it in the act by running it from a terminal:

Code:

[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (36): Connection reset by peer: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 357

###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x2000C,name=PAPZ::Msg_Destroy) Channel error: cannot send/recv

[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: Failed to launch tab subprocess: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/glue/GeckoChildProcessHost.cpp, line 481
[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (126): Connection reset by peer: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 357
[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: Failed to launch tab subprocess: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/glue/GeckoChildProcessHost.cpp, line 481
[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (151): Connection reset by peer: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 357
JavaScript error: chrome://global/content/elements/browser-custom-element.js, line 1038: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIScriptSecurityManager.getLoadContextCodebasePrincipal]
JavaScript error: chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.js, line 2149: TypeError: browser.webProgress is null

[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (160): Connection reset by peer: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 357
[Parent 52089, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (164): Connection reset by peer: file /var/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-66.0.1/work/firefox-66.0.1/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 357
JavaScript error: chrome://global/content/elements/browser-custom-element.js, line 1038: NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIScriptSecurityManager.getLoadContextCodebasePrincipal]
JavaScript error: chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.js, line 2149: TypeError: browser.webProgress is null

First the error in the first line happens, then it repeats the group of 6 lines whenever I click the new tab button. I can't understand what it's saying, if it means anything at all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: