In search for: second-hand smartphone as tablet-substitute
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: In search for: second-hand smartphone as tablet-substitute Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

I have a simple question but I fear answers might not be that simple.

In a few months I will go for a field trip and I want to take a little device with me to have access to my emails, the net and my people back home via video-chat (preferably via tox). I won't need to make telephone-calls with it since I have my cell-phone for this task. So I thought I would take an second-hand smartphone put gentoo on it, equip it with the mobile version of KDE plasma (I always wanted to try it *g*) with kontact/kmail, firefox, qtox and maybe a music-player like sayonara-player.

So the question is: Could you recommend a smartphone that is suitable for this? Meaning: Gentoo can be put on it (with help from my amd64-desktop) and that is capable to run the mentioned software? And that is a bargain ;)

Thank a lot for your input!

Regards,
Andy
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For gentoo on android see related wiki page, I'm not sure how install plasma mobile from gentoo
Another way is installing official neon plasma mobile image but is based on Ubuntu.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: In search for: second-hand smartphone as tablet-substitu Reply with quote

Lebkoungcity wrote:
Hey Folks,

I have a simple question but I fear answers might not be that simple.

In a few months I will go for a field trip and I want to take a little device with me to have access to my emails, the net and my people back home via video-chat (preferably via tox). I won't need to make telephone-calls with it since I have my cell-phone for this task. So I thought I would take an second-hand smartphone put gentoo on it, equip it with the mobile version of KDE plasma (I always wanted to try it *g*) with kontact/kmail, firefox, qtox and maybe a music-player like sayonara-player.

So the question is: Could you recommend a smartphone that is suitable for this? Meaning: Gentoo can be put on it (with help from my amd64-desktop) and that is capable to run the mentioned software? And that is a bargain ;)

Thank a lot for your input!

Regards,
Andy

I use a $100 P7 Huawai smartphone. Has webbrowser, multi email accounts, plays music, FM radio, compass, camera, GPS, WIFI and more. Connects to to the internet trough my home LAN or trough my mobile phone service. It works in Australia and on my last trip also in Singapore, Switzerland and Italy. Don't know if it works in your place.
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea:
Thank you for the links, they brought me to this list: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices.
To install it that way is not necessarily what I'd have in mind but if my gentoo-approach fails I could go that way.

C5ace:
Thanks, but that's the way I don't want to go. I could pick an used smartphone e.g. on ebay for about 30,- € and take it with me, keeping android on it and all the other related software. But I don't want this nontransparent stuff. Especially on a mobile with all it's hardware capabilities to be an excellent spying-device. I know that there are some approaches to 'unspy' android but for me I'd like to see if I could master it without it.

And what I forgot in my initial post:
The connection to the net should be through wifi and I'd also like the complete filesystem to be encrypted so when I should loose it, the data on it would be safe (more or less, depending on the effort).

Greetings,
Andy
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Gentoo Chat.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a used 10" chromebook? It probaly easyer to get gentoo on it.

If you choose a arm/aarch64 device consider that the only opengl driver usable with linux is the mali 400-450 (utgard) but that graphic card is so slow that it is not usable even in Android with vendor drivers (for gaming). Plasma with software rendering mmmhhhh, might work, NeddySeagon uses plasma on a chromebook I think..

Or a device from pine64:
$79 PineTab: The First Real Linux Tablet?
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/pine-tab-linux-tablet
https://www.linux.com/blog/2019/2/pine64-launch-open-source-phone-laptop-tablet-and-camera

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: