Goodbye Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdazil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Gentoo! Reply with quote

I intended to use Gentoo as multimedia station and for work in Internet. I spent a lot of time studying the system, its installation and configuration. In the end, everything worked well - all the software I needed and all my hardware. But the more I installed the applications, the sluggish the system became, the more time it required for daily maintenance. The computer is not the most powerful ... but that’s why I wanted to use Gentoo. As a result, I see that Windows-10 on this computer behaves perfectly, but for Gentoo there are not enough resources! For several days I could not catch up with all the necessary updates, and last night I finally got the system completely satisfied with dependencies. And this morning, Gentoo asked to update already 425 packages! (New stable KDE).
No, guys. I'm over it! I say Goodbye Gentoo! It was an interesting adventure that helped me get to know Linux better. Gentoo is interesting as a study guide, as a toy, if you like. But for real use it is unsuitable.
To the one who will say that I have not finished, that I needed to spend three times more time to better configure the system, I will answer: if you want to spend your work time and personal time in this manner - then this is your right, I will not do that.

All thanks and goodbye.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdazil,

I suspect that there is more to it than your post hints at but Gentoo is not for everyone.
Good luck with whatever your selected operating system is. Never loose sight of it just being a tool to do a job.
Choose the right tool to do the job.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Never loose sight of it just being a tool to do a job.
Choose the right tool to do the job.

++

Very much this.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe starting off with the heaviest possible desktop environment was a bad idea.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Gentoo requires making decisions. Wrong decisions lead to dissatisfaction. And unhappy user. Bye.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Maybe starting off with the heaviest possible desktop environment was a bad idea.

1) That's a myth
2) Number of packages tells you zilch about 'heaviness' of a DE (maybe it just has been awesomely split to small pieces)
3) No one is forced to install all applications produced by KDE, especially on a slow system; this is well documented in our Gentoo KDE wiki.

:)
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Gentoo! Reply with quote

Verdazil wrote:
But for real use it is unsuitable.
You meant "your use", right?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verdazil,

One word: 'Ubuntu'. (Well, actually '*ubuntu', since Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. are all easy to install, use and update.)

A binary distribution will suit you better if your machine is not particularly powerful. No building of packages on your machine, just installation of pre-built packages. (Just like Windows 10! :wink: )

My family's PC has Lubuntu installed for over a year (I wiped Windows 10 off it in January 2018), and it is a doddle to maintain and use, and very stable.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Gentoo! Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
Verdazil wrote:

++
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Gentoo! Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
toralf wrote:
Verdazil wrote:

++

English is obviously not his/her first language, so let's not sweat the small stuff.

On saying that, if they're finding Windows 10 resource light, then something was defiantly wrong with their Gentoo setup? I can't wait till they go to do some productive work only to have to wait half an hour for Windows to update before they can even use their PC. Should be thankful Gentoo gives them control of their updates - schedule for a quiet time, or let them run in the background while you do something else.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf was not criticizing the OP's grammar. He was criticizing the OP's implication that, because Gentoo was not suitable for the OP's use case, it was therefore not suitable for any "real" use case. I agree with toralf's point: OP tried to use Gentoo in a manner which was not compatible with OP's available personal time, hardware resources, and goals, and therefore OP became frustrated. That does not imply that no one can get real work done on Gentoo.
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did I mention grammar? It's quite obvious from the initial post that the OP was describing Gentoo from his own personal use case perspective. :wink:

But again, this is sweating the small stuff - to read all that the OP posted and then single out two words for criticism based on 'implication' achieves nothing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentooP4 wrote:
It's quite obvious from the initial post that the OP was describing Gentoo from his own personal use case perspective. :wink:
Verdazil's comments preceding "real use" seem to demonstrate a solid grasp of English.
Quote:
It was an interesting adventure that helped me get to know Linux better. Gentoo is interesting as a study guide, as a toy, if you like. But for real use it is unsuitable.
Those two preceding sentences strongly suggest English as a secondary language was not a problem. Certainly it is possible their intent was that "real use" was limited to themselves. But then referring to it as a "study guide" and "a toy" make that a more difficult argument.

I think it would be difficult to make an argument for the use of Gentoo in "real use" scenarios. Depending on definition of real, of course. Unfortunately, I have not worked anywhere that I think Gentoo could be a suitable solution. I would also guess that most people, Verdazil included, would consider the use of Gentoo to create ChromeOS "real use."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: