Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'd say - no.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's where the money is going...

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/birmingham-city-councillors-getting-pay-15989999

And there is me not seeing a cost of living increase for over 3years (dire issues in the industry) while also a major increase in work load due to trying to win bids
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/birmingham-city-councillors-getting-pay-15989999

And there is me not seeing a cost of living increase for over 3years (dire issues in the industry) while also a major increase in work load due to trying to win bids
Listen to yourself. You are comparing yourself to your betters. Shame on you. You need to write an apology immediately! Comparing your miserable little job to the hard work of those who make your life worth living.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
mrbassie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

[/quote]

Quote:
increased workloads and the growing impact of social media

Next time you ask for a raise don't forget to mention 'muh twitter'
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Just had my notice, and it hurts - it'd be enough for a working man with a large family to support to have to start prioritising stuff.

(old joke)

What's the difference between the mob and local government ? The mob's better organised.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third auditor warning in four years for Birmingham council

Quote:
Birmingham City Council has been issued with its third stern warning from auditors in four years following the bin strike.

Quote:
Among the demands were to make better savings plans, stop raiding the reserves and ensure there was 'robust' management of the waste service.

There's more chance of me being the next Pope than that happening.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you surprised ... The EU has also failed every single financial audit
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Be interesting to see

Well I got a reply, unexpected but a reply

Quote:
Dear Mr ###

Thanks for your message and I apologise for the delay in responding to you. The council has been forced to make this increase in council tax because of the huge cuts that have been imposed on it by central government. This year the council's core funding, revenue support grant (RSG), has been removed and the total amount of cuts we have had to make since 2010 totals almost £750 million. The removal of RSG means that the council is left only with the revenue from council tax, business rates and ring-fenced grants, eg for schools, and funding our services becomes more challenging every year.

Now that the bin dispute has been settled the priority is for the council to operate a consistent reliable collection service and I will continue to press for improvements. Likewise I will continue to speak up for better roads maintenance. The council is currently in negotiations with Amey, the current highways contractor, to recover the money Amey owes the council for the poor service it has delivered over a number of years. Once this process is concluded the council hopes to bring in a different contractor to repair the roads and this can't happen soon enough as far as I am concerned. I cycle round the ward and see the state of the roads. If there are particular potholes you are concerned about, please let me know the location and I will report them.

Thanks and best wishes

###
Bournville and Cotteridge councillor

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Quote:
the priority is for the council to operate a consistent reliable collection service and I will continue to press for improvements.
Privatize it. Then the person in charge will inform the employee that they can do their job or someone else will. The idea that a council should operate anything is ridiculous. The best trash / recycling service I had was inexpensive with great service. They'd ring your bell if your trash wasn't out and would put the bins by the house if it was windy.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The council has been forced to make this increase in council tax because of the huge cuts that have been imposed on it by central government.

Yep thought they'd say that. Still doesn't excuse the mismanagement of resources, if you need to raise taxation, we'll talk after you've patched all the leaks up.

Quote:
The council is currently in negotiations with Amey, the current highways contractor, to recover the money Amey owes the council for the poor service it has delivered over a number of years.

Negotiations ? That means that's there's no SLA with clear penalties defined - I can't think of an org that would enter into a contract without these in place.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Quote:
The council has been forced to make this increase in council tax because of the huge cuts that have been imposed on it by central government.

Yep thought they'd say that. Still doesn't excuse the mismanagement of resources, if you need to raise taxation, we'll talk after you've patched all the leaks up.

Exactly. As I pointed out in my communications, the council tax has been going up year on year ... so while central funding may have been cut, what they have been doing with what they have is silly. Somewhere in this thread (when someone defended the council) I posted where BHX spends their council money and on adult welfare it is huge! the bins is a small percentage yet they fked that up... Also its just come out quite a lot of Councillors have over £100,000 ... being paid that amount to constantly fail is staggering..

Roll on local elections to again try to get these out
Roll on general election so both Labour and Tories get a fisting
Roll on EU elections (as apparently we are going to have to vote...) to vote in some members to really push the point

John-Boy wrote:

Quote:
The council is currently in negotiations with Amey, the current highways contractor, to recover the money Amey owes the council for the poor service it has delivered over a number of years.

Negotiations ? That means that's there's no SLA with clear penalties defined - I can't think of an org that would enter into a contract without these in place.

Its like they do not understand the four T's of risk management... too often I see manager do greenlight planning and wonder why it fail's
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Switzerland, we have trash bag tax in most places. Ten 35 liters white trash bags cost 20 CHF. At the same time, you can buy the old black bags for 2 CHF for ten 110 liters bags, but if you use them, you can get a fine of 150 CHF the first time, 300 CHF the second time, and so on. But if you take the black bags to the trash center with a car, you paid per ton and it will cost you much less than to use the white taxed bags.

Another issue with the trash bag tax is than it doesn't solve the main issue: 80% of the content of a trash bag, after sortering all that can be recuperated in one way or another, is packaging. A much better solution would have been to charge a deposit on all those packaging when you buy the goods. That way, the manufacturers and the distributors would have been the first ones to change their non sustainable way of packaging their goods.

That show than even in Switzerland, the politicians are good to adopt moral postures which change nothing in the best case, or just increase the taxes without provoking other "benefits" than more despotism from the State, but very bad to make politics.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the council are missing collections again - good job they upped council tax, can you imagine how bad it would be if they hadn't had the extra injection of cash ?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
And the council are missing collections again - good job they upped council tax, can you imagine how bad it would be if they hadn't had the extra injection of cash ?
wait what, when !
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's recycling, they missed my street/surrounding areas a couple of weeks ago, which happens - I logged it with 'em and promptly had to wait until the next two week slot.

Just listening to the radio (WM), they've had a slot about missed recycling collections and a quote from a council official mentioning something about issues with the service, I'm trying to find something in print.

But it don't surprise me.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't this week a green week? I put my greens + trash and both were emptied
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
isn't this week a green week? I put my greens + trash and both were emptied

Recycling for me - green next week.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity you guys. We have horrid refuse picked up as well. Large garbage on the first Monday of the month, if they come, it will be a week late. Green every other Wednesday, and blue every alternating Wednesday... they usually pick up (green is plant material, like cut grass, leaves, etc while blue is plastics, metals, glass and paper). Saturday morning every week is when our normal refuse should be picked up, but that's iffy. While you guys blame the incompetence of your council, I'm pretty sure our local government is literally retarded.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: