[Use Flags Conflict] dev-mysql (mariadb)-dev-libs/apr-utils
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom!79
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: [Use Flags Conflict] dev-mysql (mariadb)-dev-libs/apr-utils Reply with quote

Hi all,

last few days i have setup an old server, i had to install mysql server with use flag "client-libs" cause of some incopatinbility with the new C connetors, but i find a problem with the package of dev-lib/apr-utils, in the version apr-util-1.5.4.ebuild you can find the use flag

mysql? ( =virtual/mysql-5* )

that's correct for me, instead in the version apr-util-1.6.1-r3.ebuild you find

mysql? ( || (
dev-db/mariadb-connector-c
dev-db/mysql-connector-c
) )

that cause me some problems cause these two packages conflict with the use flag "client-libs" of the dev-db/mysql package that "Build the client libraries from the server package instead of the C Connector packages "

Now i have resolved by masking version of dev-libs/apr-utils greater than 1.5.9, but i suppose that must be fixed in the ebuild file, just to avoid portage conflicts.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all conflicts are errors, it's doable that newer version of apr-util doesn't support this anymore and must use a *-connector-c.
That would mean the problem is not the newer apr-util, but some "older" ebuild that still use "client-libs" on dev-db/mysql instead and force you to set it.
tom!79
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean that the error is the use or not of old client libs or the newer connector.

I mean that if ebuilds are done with in mind the coerence and consistence of portage, if you allow to force the use of a flag in one ebuild, you must itercept it even in those package that are involved by the change too, or when you'll use this use flag and then you emerge these pacakages as example will be a mess (like happened to me few days ago)

Is only a suggestion.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom!79 wrote:
I mean that if ebuilds are done with in mind the coerence and consistence of portage

they aren't done like that, they are done with choice and option in mind.

somegfx? nvidia-drivers
it would mean, if you use the nvidia-drivers you "could" use somegfx option
and people that couldn't (or don't want) use nvidia-drivers couldn't use somegfx with that ebuild.

just this option would gave you three different portage graph tree, and incoherence between them:
* people not using nvidia-drivers with -somegfx
* people using nvidia-drivers with somegfx
* but also people using nvidia-drivers but still with -somegfx

to get coherence and consistancy the only viable option would be forcing "-somegfx" on everyone, an hard choice binary distro are force to do sometimes.
it's true lot of choice and option may confuse user sometimes, flexibility has a prize :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: