[SOLVED] Upgrading kernel 4.14 to 4.19 breaks X VT switching
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbaldassari
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Upgrading kernel 4.14 to 4.19 breaks X VT switching Reply with quote

I've recently been trying out the new gentoo-sources 4.19 kernels that were recently stabilized (not with genkernel, just a make oldconfig and make), but I've found that when using 4.19.23 or 4.19.27 my system can no longer start an X session on login. My system is a laptop running intel graphics with the modesetting xorg driver. GDM starts fine, but as soon as I enter my password into GDM and login, it drops me right back to the GDM screen after a brief screen flicker.

Looking at the output of journalctl I see that there seems to have been a problem switching VTs:

Code:

/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[2573]: (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[2573]: (EE) modeset(0): failed to set mode: Permission denied

I don't really see any other errors in there that look related, so I think the problem is just this failure to switch VTs. I do _not_ have this problem on the latest 4.14 gentoo-sources kernel (4.14.83). Any ideas what might have caused this VT switching problem in kernels newer than 4.14?

Last edited by jbaldassari on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbaldassari
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally figured out the problem. I had a custom script in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default to configure settings for my trackpoint because the default settings weren't sensitive enough. It was something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo -n 255 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed
echo -n 255 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity
echo -n 7 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/inertia

Apparently in newer kernels those paths have changed, so when gdm went to execute that script it failed, and it dumped me back to the login screen. It actually had nothing to do with VT switching as far as I can tell. I'm not sure if those errors were a symptom of the failure to execute that script, but I'm not seeing them any more.[/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: