Anybody running Git LFS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Anybody running Git LFS? Reply with quote

I do a lot of work on binary assets, and so I've been looking heavily into Git LFS recently (yes, I am aware of Git annex).

I'd prefer to self-host - I've got the git lfs-test-server (https://github.com/github/lfs-test-server) running on my server, with gitolite providing access control to the repo itself, and gitweb as a web UI to it.

A few issues I have:

1. With a name like "lfs-test-server", it makes me a little cautious for using it for "production"
2. gitolite doesn't support public cloning. I guess I could distribute a private key, but hmm ...
3. gitweb doesn't support git lfs, so the "snapshot" download feature will not download the binary files, which means that I have to specially prepare a snapshot for people to download

Any thoughts?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: git-"lfs" is "large file store" not "linux from scratch."

"Git LFS" sounds like an interesting concept, but appears to depend on github?

Also, it seems like it has a very narrow focus, and confirms your concerns about using it in production.
Quote:
It is intended to be used for testing the Git LFS client and is not in a production ready state.

That said, depending on how it works, if you were planning to rely on a form of LFS, and if this is a "make LFS easier" tool, then maybe it won't be too risky.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: