Netsurf Browser
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C5ace
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Netsurf Browser Reply with quote

Netsurf:

I installed Netsurf browser. Compile and install time took about 5 minutes. This included all libraries and other dependecies.

Speed of loading webpages is very fast.

Firefox, including Rust and all other dependencies takes on the same box about 7 hours.

Wish it was a complete browser with the same functionality a Firefox. It would then be a fantastic browser.

Is anyone using Netsurf day by day?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it installed but mostly as a curiosity. There's too much missing support for basic parts of things like CSS3, Konqueror 3/4 is a more usable browser on the open web.

It also tends to be extremely slow to update to current versions in portage and have random build failures that are slow to fix.
NTU
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something not Chrome/Firefox and doesn't take forever to compile, I'd like to kindly suggest Midori. YouTube never bloody works so use youtube-dl lol. Last I messed with it was 0.5 or so.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Netsurf Browser Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
Wish it was a complete browser with the same functionality a Firefox. It would then be a fantastic browser.

I've been trying to resist responding to this since it was posted. What I have to say has nothing to do with Netsurf or an alternative browser.

I'm just going to spill it out and hope you don't take offense, because no offense is intended.

Any time you (anonymous you, not "OP you" specifically) wish some ... thing ... was the same as some other thing -- but you're using the "inferior" one right now anyway, I think you're in denial.

If you want a browser that has the same functionality as Firefox, then you need to use Firefox. Anything else is automatically inferior when you use a measure like that. Firefox is a moving target. Anyone emulating it will build in the features as of the day they last looked, and won't know about new features until they get pushed to a public place.

If you use a browser you consider to be inferior, then you shouldn't be using it.

Most "light" browser projects are made to support a specific set of functionality. The rest of the "bloated" mainstream browsers are considered to be either unnecessary or unsafe by the dev team. They're not trying to emulate Firefox. Many of them are in no way inferior, because they're the only thing which matches the designer's requirements specification exactly. Whether they match yours or not is a different question.

I watched in the 90s as half of the Linux world lost their grip on reality. The distros and the window managers all suddenly looked like Windows 95. Control panels showed up (not an entirely bad thing) but they were extremely similar to the corresponding item in the much-maligned Windows 95. The first thing Windows users would say is, "That doesn't look like Windows." And then they're gone, because the unfortunate Linux advocate had promised something "just like Windows."

Up to that point, Linux/UNIX window managers worked very differently from what we all see now. FVWM, for example, the running processes were icons on the desktop. You had a pop-up hierarchical menu to run programs (Wonder where the Windows "Start" menu came from? I honestly don't know where this showed up first) from wherever your mouse was at the moment. You could tailor the window manager in almost any way you wanted.

"We'll attract dissatisfied Windows 95 users by making Linux look just like Windows 95!!!"

There's a huge hole in that logic. If they look/work just like Windows 95, and the people you're trying to attract are people who don't like Windows 95, then you're missing a big clue. Find a way you think something should look and work, and do it that way. People who get it and like it will ... get it and like it.

Or as a consumer, you figure out what you really want, and try to narrow the field by looking only for those features in the tool you're looking for. Then shop around and test drive everything.

People buy a different car because they want a different car. They don't want every switch and button in the same place. They don't want exactly the same thing, or why would they bother to change?

Rather than wishing one thing were just like another thing, look at the options available and find out if their features are useful to you, if the way they look and work are compatible with your needs. Evaluate everything on its own merits, and compare those merits to your own needs.

Sorry for the rant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: