Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:
I thought it might be worth a notice that Con Kolivas has released his own "Desktop Performance Patchset". This includes a bunch of scheduler patches, and support for i/o priority settings.

Post at kerneltrap.

Con's patches are useful only on P4's with hyperthreading. He has added many hacks into sched.c which only help the P4 w/HT. The way he modified sched.c is almost unnatural.
Spawn of Lovechild
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
sindre wrote:
I thought it might be worth a notice that Con Kolivas has released his own "Desktop Performance Patchset". This includes a bunch of scheduler patches, and support for i/o priority settings.

Post at kerneltrap.

Con's patches are useful only on P4's with hyperthreading. He has added many hacks into sched.c which only help the P4 w/HT. The way he modified sched.c is almost unnatural.

He even admits it..
aamonten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Dark Archon wrote:

*UPDATE 2* just tested it in konqueror, safari, camino and galeon compiled with mozilla 1.6 and the guide worked on all of them, if anyone has anymore problems, either reply to this thread, pm me, or e-mail me.

Sorry but I still have problems to see the guide, I'm trying with iexplore(yea at my work we use windows :cry: ) and mozilla 1.5
ZothOmmog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: CX88 badness Reply with quote

I realize these are alpha drivers at best, but my CX88 based tuner (MSI TVAnywhere) card is absolute crap.

Attempt #1: Compiled V4l2 & the cx88 drivers as modules. Modprobed V4l2 modules in w/o problems. Modprobing cx88 returned a seg. fault & crashed my system hard. No keyboard, no mouse, no ssh from another machine.

Attempt #2: Complied V4l2 & the cx88 drivers into the kernel directly. I was able to cat /dev/video0 well enough, but TvTime just showed static & was unable to change the channel.

No sound what-so-ever, but I was expecting that based on the feedback.

Has anybody been able to get this card working at all?
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have everything working except sound on my NF7-S.

I was doing a new install, and noticed love4 came out the day before so I used it. I keep trying different things, but looking in this thread like a fool. I'm gonna try and re-compile with direct PCI access instead of both, and see what happens.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aamonten wrote:
Sorry but I still have problems to see the guide, I'm trying with iexplore(yea at my work we use windows :cry: ) and mozilla 1.5

i can't help you unless you tell me exactly what problems you are having.

Registered Linux user 347334
Abit AV8-3rd eye, AMD Athlon64 3500+ 90nm, ATI Radeon x850 pro
Belgabor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CX88 badness Reply with quote

ZothOmmog wrote:
I realize these are alpha drivers at best, but my CX88 based tuner (MSI TVAnywhere) card is absolute crap.

Attempt #1: Compiled V4l2 & the cx88 drivers as modules. Modprobed V4l2 modules in w/o problems. Modprobing cx88 returned a seg. fault & crashed my system hard. No keyboard, no mouse, no ssh from another machine.

Attempt #2: Complied V4l2 & the cx88 drivers into the kernel directly. I was able to cat /dev/video0 well enough, but TvTime just showed static & was unable to change the channel.

No sound what-so-ever, but I was expecting that based on the feedback.

Has anybody been able to get this card working at all?

I don't have that specific card, but my cx88 based Hauppauge kinda works with love1, but only if I compile the drivers into the kernel. I can't try love4 because the driver for my nic is b0rked.
('kinda' in the above statement means I havent found a tv app yet that shows the colors right. Seems like a channel swap or something. But sound works (except for muteing) and channel change works.)
Sastraxi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm trying the cx88 driver out on the newest love-sources right now; I'll let you know how it works.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spawn of Lovechild wrote:
steel300 wrote:
sindre wrote:

Post at kerneltrap.

He even admits it..

???

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Based on what's on that page, plus the stuff on kerneltrap, plus the fact that he's announcing it on lkml, it sure as heck looks like a general kernel to me. Sure there's stuff in there to help people with hyperthreading, but that doesn't mean it's meant exclusively for them.

/me is glad to see Con back in action, since -ck was my favorite patchset from 2.4.
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
Spawn of Lovechild wrote:
steel300 wrote:
sindre wrote:

Post at kerneltrap.

He even admits it..

???

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Based on what's on that page, plus the stuff on kerneltrap, plus the fact that he's announcing it on lkml, it sure as heck looks like a general kernel to me. Sure there's stuff in there to help people with hyperthreading, but that doesn't mean it's meant exclusively for them.

/me is glad to see Con back in action, since -ck was my favorite patchset from 2.4.

The HT support that he has added actually hurts the processors that don't support it. It's on by default, not selectable.
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 different revisions of the NF7-S(1.1,1.2, & 2.0), and I can't get sound working on any of these with with this kernel patch. Even using the config that works perfectly with rc2 I can't get it working. I don't know what else to do.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
diegs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have trouble with their laptop battery? mine shows /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info as present, but can't read info about power level and charging status.

hmm might be an acpi bork. dell d600 "centrino" laptop btw
milothurston
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:

The HT support that he has added actually hurts the processors that don't support it. It's on by default, not selectable.

How does it hurt them? What would be the effect of running this kernel on an Athlon MP?
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: