GlobalProtect VPN
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: GlobalProtect VPN Reply with quote

Just wondering what the best / correct path would be: I am trying the PaloAlto VPN client that doesnt seem to work on a Gentoo system. I havent tried on Gentoo systemd but according to the documents, it should work with init just fine. It would be nice to see if a dev is willing to help because this package isnt supposed to be released to the public so it would have to be restricted and I am just not sure on the best process to try and get this problem fixed. I talked in the main Gentoo channel with iamben and he suggested building an ebuild on a local overlay and then tryin gto reach out to devs - is this the best path?
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should start by clarifying your goal. In what way does the client not work? Why do you think a dev (what dev? Gentoo?) can help you if you are not allowed to send the client to anyone? What result do you want to achieve?
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I think you should start by clarifying your goal. In what way does the client not work? Why do you think a dev (what dev? Gentoo?) can help you if you are not allowed to send the client to anyone? What result do you want to achieve?

1) My goal is to get this package built and able to attach to the service correctly (currently I get errors stating it cannot, I will post more errors tomorrow) when launching the globalprotect program. Then to VPN into my network.
2) A developer that works with init may be best because thats what I am running. They will have a better understanding of the innerworkings and maybe have more skill / knowledge to what the program is hitting, maybe run debugs on the service? I dont know, thats why I am asking for help.
3) I can send it to developers but with the understanding the package is restricted (fetch-restricted) and it will not be distributed to the general public.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The onus is on the software vendor to support their product. It's unlikely you'll find a Gentoo developer willing to spend their volunteer time debugging proprietary software under NDA, especially when better FOSS alternatives exist.
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The onus is on the software vendor to support their product. It's unlikely you'll find a Gentoo developer willing to spend their volunteer time debugging proprietary software under NDA, especially when better FOSS alternatives exist.
The VPN that I think is causing cotp issues is FOSS (open source doesnt always mean "better") which is openconnect, the "open source" version of anyconnet which support the Palo Alto protocols.

And yeah I somewhat agree, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It is though kind of sad when an open source community like Gentoo and people just flat out say its not going to happen. Have you read about it or looked into it Ant? Iirc, we have gotten into these debates before many years ago.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is cotp? The first hit I get is for Cries of the Past, a difficult to obtain song.

What exactly are the restrictions on distribution?
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What is cotp? The first hit I get is for Cries of the Past, a difficult to obtain song.

What exactly are the restrictions on distribution?

COTP - https://wiki.wireshark.org/COTP

The restrictions are just that the company does not want all their packages released to the general public.I guarantee with GlobalProtect , for those that use the Palo Alto firewalls, will appreciate the ability for a working install.
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. I successfully got the package to install, but now I am running into:

Code:
PanGPS[24918]: segfault at 2d0 ip 01117f2823a0f333 sp 01117f27ffffee20 error 4 in libpthread-2.28.so[7f2823a06000+1c000]
:cry:
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the backtrace when that happens?
Hell-Razor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What is the backtrace when that happens?
Not sure, need to look into how to properly do one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: