[Info] Gentoo Install on Acer Switch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrStill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: [Info] Gentoo Install on Acer Switch Reply with quote

I looked for a post such as this and didn't find one. I'm not usually one to post; but, I figured it could help. I have Gentoo working on my Acer Switch Alpha 12. Everything seems to run smoothly though there were a few gotchas.

Touchscreen
The touch screen was tricky to find, Its an i2c_hid and so the bus needs a driver with the specific device needing a driver too. The touch and pen driver is called i2c_designware. I based my configuration off of the Fedora 29 live media; so, the i2c_hid driver is compiled as a module while i2c_designware is compiled into the kernel. I also included hid_multitouch as a module. The touch works in both screen orientations while the pen orientation is off when the screen is flipped longways.

Screen Rotation
This requires some more hid drivers. I compiled them as modules.
Code:

hid-sensor-hub
hid-sensor-magn-3d
hid-sensor-als
hid-sensor-accel-3d
hid-sensor-gyro-3d
hid-sensor-rotation
hid-sensor-incl-3d
hid-sensor-trigger
hid-sensor-iio-common
industrialio-triggered-buffer

Furthermore, there is a required middle man to make screen rotation happen. There is an explanation on this thread about iio sensors. iio-sensor-proxy will provide the gyro and light sensor needed to dim the screen and rotate it. I struggled with the custom ebuilds and decided to download source from github.

Detachable Keyboard/Mouse
I let genkernel configure this for me. I set the following in /etc/portage/make.conf
Code:

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev libinput"

libinput manages the keyboard and mouse nicely. The side buttons on the screen and the function buttons all mapped correctly.

Web Cam
I let genkernel configure my webcam drivers. The front cam is recognized while the rear camera is not.

Wifi
The chipset is Atheros. The driver is ath10k_pci; which, I compiled as a module.

Bluetooth
I let genkernel configure the drivers. I struggled some getting audio over bluetooth; however, this post helped with my issues.

Take Away
Everything works nicely after about a week of work. I was previously running Fedora 29 and wanted to spend some time with Gentoo, after being gone for a few years. With the exception of Plymouth, I have everything running as it was on Fedora.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: