Special keys on keyboard...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Special keys on keyboard... Reply with quote

Is there any way for me to get my "internet enhanced" keys on my keyboard working with Linux? I also have a Fn key because I have a laptop and I would like to use it to control the volume of my speakers, but the problem is that Linux doesn't recognize that key! Anything I can do to make it recognize 4 of my internet keys and the Fn key?
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# man loadkeys
# man xmodmap
:D
grakker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use lineak for the multimedia keys on my Logitech. Works perfect and was easy to set up. The above suggestion is good too.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Special keys on keyboard... Reply with quote

Ranma wrote:
Is there any way for me to get my "internet enhanced" keys on my keyboard working with Linux? I also have a Fn key because I have a laptop and I would like to use it to control the volume of my speakers, but the problem is that Linux doesn't recognize that key! Anything I can do to make it recognize 4 of my internet keys and the Fn key?

If you are using a Dell laptop, then you should try out the i8kutils. Also compile i8k into the kernel/as a module.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably have some luck with the four "internet enhanced" keys, but I'm pretty sure that because of the way Fn keys work, there's no way you're going to get that to do anything other than what it was intended to do. After all, I have a Happy Hacking keyboard, and it's not like I needed special drivers to get it working under Linux and X: the workings of the Fn key are encapsulated in the keyboard so that the OS doesn't have to know about "Fn+1", it just receives an "F1".
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks allot for pointing out lineak. I'm really liking it so far. I have a question, though. How do I specify key combinations as commands to run when pressing a certain button? For example, for the internet back button I'd like to run Alt-<Left Arrow>, and for the wheel button I'd like to run Alt-Tab. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: