Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Self-hosted alternatives to Google Photos?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkasak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Self-hosted alternatives to Google Photos? Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm after an image and video management solution, for multiple ( non-linux ) people to use.

Google rant:

We're all using Google Photos at the moment, but I have major concerns about privacy issues. Google are doing heavy AI on all uploaded images and videos. Example - Google have tagged every single photo I've ever uploaded of a tent or camping ... and I know this because I can now search for 'tent' and see them all. Question: Are there tags that I can't see, but others ( advertisers, governments, people with money ) can? I've discussed the issue in the Google Photos forum, and was told that this is a core feature that can't be turned off. It doesn't take a genius to see where this is going ... Google's "Project Dragon" in China shows what they think of civil liberties and user privacy.

This is a pity, because the storage is cheap, and having someone else deal with offsite backups for something impossible to replace has real value.

---

Nextcloud rant:

So anyway, I know about Nextcloud. Ideally, I'd just use Nextcloud, hosted on my home server, backed onto S3 for storage, and end-to-end encrypted. Sounds like the dream! The problem is, I tried to use it, before going to Google Photos. The functionality is embarrassing. I believe you have one chance to tag photos - as you upload them - and after that, tough luck. I saw people discussing the ability to tag, individually, photos, by going through a 5-step-process per photo or some garbage. I tried out the current Nextcloud demo, and couldn't even see how to do that. There's a bug that's been open for years about allowing you to bulk-apply tags, but no activity other than someone saying that the current gallery component simply has no way of exposing that functionality. Yay. I understand Nextcloud is about more than image/video storage/management ... yeah it has some cool other features ... but these aren't the main thing I'm after here.

This is a pity too, but it's seriously a deal-breaker. Other than just storing photos and videos ... yes we need to be able to manage them ... nicely.

---

Am I out of options already? Just to be totally clear what I'm after here:

- self-hosted, preferably open-source, but I'm willing to think outside the box here
- encrypted cloud storage options so i don't need to run a NAS and deal with offsite backups
- image and video management that's actually nice to use - must be able to bulk tag, preferable also allow some editing

I ask a lot, I know :)
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For network backup of phones, I set up a space and allow access via sftp (implemented by sshd) and/or samba. Spaces require setup for each user, which other than having to be established by a sysadmin on my local storage, isn't different from any cloud backup.

For backup of pictures from my camera, which I intend to be avaliable to guests who access the local network, I have a samba share called "Public" that includes /photos, /music, and /files. I copy photo files from the camera to this location on the public system.

Directory arrangement is roughly ...

/backup
/backup/cloud
/backup/cloud/user <- accessible to "user" via sftp. Could also be accessible by samba, but that's a second security setting

/public <- accessible to guest (and "user") by samba
/public/music <- arranged on a "one directory per artist"
/public/photos <- arranged on a one directlory per month, e.g, 1901 holds phots taken January 2019

The contents of guest accessible folders are writable by me, readonly for others.

My sftp setup ...

Code:
# /etc/ssh/sshd_config

# useradd -d /backup/cloud/sftpuser -s /sbin/nologin -N -G users -p secret sftpuser
# mkdir /backup/cloud/sftpuser
# chown sftpuser:users /backup/cloud/sftpuser

Match User              joy,allie,andy,joe,sftpuser
 ChrootDirectory        /backup/cloud
 ForceCommand           internal-sftp
 AllowTcpForwarding     no
 X11Forwarding          no

That arrangement allows joy, allie, and, joe, and sftpuser to see each other's contents. Individual "Match User" with chroot into their own personal space makes that space private.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many choices actually .....

piwigo (gallery) has a nice android app
pixelfed (instagram) every AP client can be used to post but it is in alpha and a beta was announced for this summer ....
I really hope those guy deliver what they promise:
https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism
For the moment is not really useful ... but should be a selfhosted google photos clone.

Or just sync the photos on the nas and use whatever program you like to manage them .....

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can really recommend using "syncthing". It is simple, has GUI if you want, does what it needs to do.
You will have to use your own photo tooling on top of that, but I regard that as a feature.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like zenphoto
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: