Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Linux on g+ social network, where will it move?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
The official gentoo account in the fediverse has already 330 followers ...... not bad since it was announced in Januar 2019

It's not very active, but the whole fediverse isn't:
https://fosstodon.org/@gentoo

BTW according the most recent stats diaspora has ~660000 users but only ~60000 are active, it's basically dead.

Maybe it'd be a bit more active if it wasn't merely a twitter crosspost bot. That's extremely bad etiquette on that network.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
BTW according the most recent stats diaspora has ~660000 users but only ~60000 are active, it's basically dead.
Some sources say it's around 1M.

I use diaspora daily. I like it's features. Not sure how long I remain active, but a lot of g+ people I know have moved there.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
swathe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always lamented the death of many forums and their move to platforms like Facebook. I guess some sort of social media presence might help capture some additional users but there are already Gentoo discussion groups on Facebook now and people refer users to the forums and IRC pretty regularly.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
erm67 wrote:
Some sources say it's around 1M.

I use diaspora daily. I like it's features. Not sure how long I remain active, but a lot of g+ people I know have moved there.

All 3 millions fediverse users can be followed from diaspora, it's just a bit cumbersome ..... most people on mastodon came from diaspora and just left their account behind inactive. Accounts migration is planned, but not yet working like many features that are being implemented in mastodon/pleroma. (diaspora development has stalled years ago unfortunately)
In theory zot6 nomadic accounts are the ideal solution for the problem of left behind accounts, you register in whatever server (pod) you prefer and all your accounts are kept in sync, but ATM mastodon leads the development and there will be one active account that holds user data and the older account will redirect to it. Too bad osada was too heavy for my small server.

Anyway, diaspora is just a (boring) social application with activity pub there is a lot more choice, in my timeline I can see not only toots but also blog posts from plume blog, pics posted on pixelfed (instagram clone), share music funkwhale (grooveshark clone), watch and share videos on peertube (youtube clone) based on webtorrent, or share files with nextcloud, just to mention the most successful activity pub servers.

Of course it is everything still in development, for example some of diaspora features like following tags are not working, like gnusocial !groups, there is also a reddit clone prismo in development, but I am sure they will be implemented, not in diaspora of course.

The problem of multiple accounts needs to be fixed to make all those applications really usable, ATM you will need a separate account on all those applications. It is a lot better than now, I mean, I write a new blog post and than post a link to it in my diaspora account is a lot more work than I write a new blog post in plume and it appears automatically in the timeline of my followers/group/tag on mastodon or diaspora (it it will ever support AP). The same goes for music, videos, pictures. Once all of this is working there is really no need for facebook/youtube/google drive/instagram.....and all your data might be safely stored on your nas or in a harddisk attached to your router.

At the moment the fediverse is pretty busy:

Quote:

Federation Bot
federationbot@mastodon.host
41min
Federation report: in the last hour, https://mastodon.host received 8953 toots from 504 instances. We can see at the moment 57.64% (61.04% excluding mstdn.jp) of the network statuses and are connected to 6268/5555 known instances.

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: Isn't Mastodon like distributed twitter platform with more characters per message than twitter?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was the original mastodon based on the ostatus protocol, more recently the activity pub standard was released and mastodon was updated to use it, just like all the plethora of social software that is appearing recently. The message limit is optional and variable, it still supports the ostatus protocol that is supported by diaspora*, so there is a way to communicate with some limitations since messages conforming the AP standard in Mastodon are converted to the older status and sent to diaspora that converts them to the dspr protocol it uses internally .... I set the message limit to 20k on my single user server btw. And messages can be formatted in markdown or html with embedded images and video preferably peertube (some people complains if the video is not there)
Some software like friendica speaks all protocols and can talk with every platform.

Actually mastodon has become the main platform where the AP standard is developed, since it has the largest number of users.

During the WE there are 20.000 public toots per hour monitored by the federation bot that covers 50% of the fediverse, compare it with 20.000 diaspora users that published something in the last month ... and that includes bots :-)

A lot of people writes the #nobot tag in their info because they don't want to be followed by bots like the federation bot.....

Friendica was really great until it started supporting AP recently this year, it worked fine with the low volume of messages in diaspora or friendica networks but it cannot handle the modern fediverse on my small server .... I use pleroma that is native AP implementation and uses maybe 150MB ram and 5% cpu to relay 2 large mastodon hosts.

wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this, the more I think that the forums aren't broke and don't need anything else.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
The more I think about this, the more I think that the forums aren't broke and don't need anything else.

I tend to agree. However, if Gentoo Forums were to update to phpBB 3.* with a bigger range of BBCode tags (enabling the display of images, tables and so on in posts) then these forums would be better still and possibly more likely to attract users.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

I tend to agree. However, if Gentoo Forums were to update to phpBB 3.* with a bigger range of BBCode tags (enabling the display of images, tables and so on in posts) then these forums would be better still and possibly more likely to attract users.

I could go for three things:

1. Integration with OpenID Connect
2. Mobile-friendly CSS
3. Absolutely ***NONE*** of this stupid-click-me-Tapatalk-irritating-bullshit-popup shit.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
if Gentoo Forums were to update to phpBB 3.* with a bigger range of BBCode tags (enabling the display of images, tables and so on in posts) then these forums would be better still and possibly more likely to attract users.
Images were are supported but disabled for security reasons (it's an ancient issue, so I have no recollection of the details). I have no idea if images would be allowed after the upgrade, but there are places images can be posted, so I don't see the added benefit versus potential risks. But that's only my opinion. Other tags were disabled for security reasons as well.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

+1. We also don't have unsolicited bots data-dragnetting our posts and PMs without consent being heralded as a feature…
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmhhhhhh #firstworldproblems

https://www.google.it/search?source=hp&ei=DHNXXPjBN-LDrgTJ5argAQ&q=ant+p.+site%3Aforums.gentoo.org

BTW at least the federation bot asks for consent (if the account is configured to require it of course) and people grants because it is very useful, for example I love the trending tags and most active instances of the hour toots:

Trending tags:
#screenshotsunday
#arch
#quesdon
#superbowl
#matsudaicraft
#instagram

Federation Bot @federationbot@mastodon.host
Top 10 active instances of the hour:
https://friends.nico (1146)
https://switter.at (988)
https://humblr.social (726)
https://mastodon.social (617)
https://mstdn.jp (602)
https://trollian.space (452)
https://social.quodverum.com (438)
https://berries.space (385)
https://relay.mastodon.host (307)
https://radical.town (233)

Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

+1. We also don't have unsolicited bots data-dragnetting our posts and PMs without consent being heralded as a feature…

+1 for both of you.

Even inline images (which are not supported here) are very rarely needed.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
mmmmhhhhhh #firstworldproblems

Techbros with unlimited sense of entitlement to our already stretched-thin attention and trying to get a foot in everyone's front door really are a first world problem we could do with less of.

Quote:
Top 10 active instances of the hour:

#1 isn't pawoo.net and there's one with "relay" right there in the name. What use is such a completely inaccurate list? All that tells me is those instances have several hundred users ripe for exploitation and that their admins don't give enough of a shit about third parties monetising them to defederate mastodon.host.

I do know how fedi works. That ain't it, chief.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: