View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: No panel or menus in Plasma when user in group video Reply with quote

Edit: Was "Unable to reset KDE Plasma settings to default" - It has been narrowed down to an issue only when user is in the "video" group in /etc/group

For my primary user my KDE Plasma settings recently became messed up (no menus, no panel, etc) and I am having great trouble getting it back.

I deleted .kde4 .config .local (and actually ALL dotfiles) and the problem persisted. I then created a new user and it worked fine, which was good news, but here is where it gets odd...

After backing up all my data I did (pvint is the user in question):

• userdel -r pvint
  • ls -ltrh /home (to verify that the user directory was gone)
  • rm -fR /tmp/* (just because there is something odd going on and wanted to be sure)
  • useradd -m pvint
  • passwd pvint

I can then log in with the new users and get the default workspace. Great! However... I really wanted to have this user be back on the same UID/GID to keep things consistent on external storage, so I did:

• Edit /etc/passwd changing UID to 1000 (same as before)
  • Edit /etc/group changing GID to 1000 (same as before)
  • chown -R pvint:pvint /home/pvint

Logging in again I get the same corrupted desktop as before!

I have search all over for anything that might linger in /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/cache, etc. but am stumped.

Any thoughts? It's pretty odd... I know I could just leave the "new" user with the new UID/GID, but frankly I'm being a bit stubborn and need to understand this. ;)

Note: I was planning on posting the terminal output from startx, but it got lost in the rm -fR - I will do it again and post it.

Last edited by cbx550f on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I managed to figure it out! It was when I added the user to group "video" that the issue arises! (which likely is not required for the past decade or so, but you know, old habits...)

I'm guessing that this came up recently due to switching video card and changing from nouveau to nvidia video drivers. The strange thing is that it was fine for about a week (with numerous reboots) then went south.

Summary: That was really bizarre, but adding the user to group Video gave odd results in Plasma.
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whups - not so fast... looks like I do need to be in the "video" group...
From https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers :
Quote:
The user(s) needing to access the video card will need to be added to the video group:

I also noticed that things like desktop effects are not working correctly... more looking...
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info:

- I do not use a graphical login like xdm or sddm
- clearly repeatable that kde works with user *not* in group video but no panels or menus etc in group video (I see other reporting the same due to sddm issues, but I do not use sddm...)

Output from startx when in group video and it fails:
https://pastebin.com/Yy7URGJn

Xorg log for same:
https://pastebin.com/86sQjRNu

Other info that may be important:
From eselect profile list:
[22] default/linux/amd64/17.0/no-multilib (stable) *
(I use that profile and not desktop/plasma because I really didn't want multilib and have gone through hell trying to keep 32 bit stuff out when using the regular plasma profile)

emerge --info:
Code:
Portage 2.3.51 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/no-multilib, gcc-7.3.0, glibc-2.27-r6, 4.4.80-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.4.80-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Athlon-tm-_II_X4_630_Processor-with-gentoo-2.6
KiB Mem:    16435120 total,  13505380 free
KiB Swap:   15625212 total,  15625212 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 19:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: fa61f7fea52dafa8096b84ae9abaad6e48973d49
sh bash 4.4_p23-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.30 p5) 2.30.0
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p23-r1::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:     2.2.0-r4::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.26.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.15::gentoo, 3.6.5::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.38.3-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13-r1::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r3::gentoo, 1.15.1-r2::gentoo, 1.16.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.30-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            7.3.0-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     2.0::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1-r4::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.14-r1::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.27-r6::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes

crossdev
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 10

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/easy-rsa /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="3dnow X aalib acl alaw alsa amd64 apache2 apng barcode bash-completion berkdb bluetooth bzip2 cairo cli consolekit crypt cxx dbus declarative dga dri egl encode ffmpeg fortran frei0r g722 g729 gd gdbm gif gimp git github gles gles2 gnome httpd iconv icu imagemagick imaging introspection jack jpeg jpeg2k kde kipi ladspa lash libtirpc lm_sensors lua lvm lvm2 minizip mjpeg mmx mp3 mtp mysql ncurses networkmanager nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pcre pcre16 pdf pdo perl phonon php plasma png policykit postscript pulseaudio python qml quicktime readline sdl seccomp sip sqlite sse sse2 ssl stars svg taglib tahoma tcpd text tiff truetype udev ulaw unicode usb v4l vdpau video vim-syntax vorbis wav wayland widgets wifi wireless x264 xattr xcomposite xkb xpm xvmc yuv4mpeg zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 3dnow" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5 postgres10" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

nick_gentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to reset KDE Plasma settings to default Reply with quote

cbx550f wrote:

cbx550f, the UID and GID can also be changed with the usermod and groupmod commands.
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to reset KDE Plasma settings to default Reply with quote

nick_gentoo wrote:
cbx550f wrote:

cbx550f, the UID and GID can also be changed with the usermod and groupmod commands.

Yeah, but it required me to do "man usermod" because I didn't remember exactly how and I'm lazy and knew how to do it in the text files. ;) However, just in case I had done it exactly that way after creating a new user again with the same results.
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's something stupid that I'm missing... I realized a while ago that I had DRM enabled in the kernel, so I disabled that (as noted in the wiki), rebooted to the new kernel, reinstalled nvidia-drivers and I cannot even start X (no screens found); regardless of whether my user was in group root or not. Repeated this numerous times being sure to rebuild and reinstall all modules, reboot, then rebuild nvidia-drivers, rmmod and modprobe the module, cannot start X. Ugh. The answer is likely staring at me but at this point I'm getting to frustrated to see it.

Code:
[   301.784] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[   301.784] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[   301.784] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
[   301.784] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
[   301.784] (II) LoadModule: "nv"
[   301.784] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
[   301.784] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
[   301.784] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[   301.784] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so
[   301.784] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   301.784]    compiled for 1.20.3, module version = 1.20.3
[   301.784]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[   301.784]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.0
[   301.784] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[   301.784] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[   301.785] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   301.785] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[   301.785] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[   301.785] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[   301.785] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[   301.785] (--) using VT number 7

[   301.792] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[   301.792] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[   301.792] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[   301.792] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[   301.792] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[   301.792] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file

Honestly, at this point I'm ready to give up. Back in September I was running into some kind of block that was costing me too much time and I finally decided to just reinstall from scratch, and it's been ok up until now. I've been a happy Gentoo user for 15 years or so, and I hate to give up, but to be honest I have things to do and this is seriously getting in my way. I know this is just one or two little things, but I really don't have the time for it. Looking at Artix Linux (Arch based, and doesn't use systemd) - might just have to go that route tomorrow night. Normally I don't mind this sort of issue, as I always learn something, but right now between my day job and my own business, I frankly just don't have the time for this sort of thing.

I really do love Gentoo, but I have shit to doand I just don't think I can afford the time it sometimes takes anymore.

</rant>
cbx550f
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I said "the hell with it" and started a fresh install on another partition last night - used the same kernel config and near as I can figure I did everything that is relevant to this the same, used my same home directory (so same user config), copied the xinitrc, etc., and it works fine. *shrugs*

I may investigate further, but it's hard to justify more time on this.

On the upside - the fresh install mostly went well! Other than the bindist pain there weren't really many delays. That should be documented better, IMO (but having said that, I'm not doing anything about it, so no real complaints from me on that)

I won't mark this as solved since there has not yet been a resolution. I still have the original install on another partition and I may try again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: