Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: bghoons
Topic: If this happens with Gentoo then I'm gone
Reason: There's already an off-topic right-wing troll post in Gentoo Chat about CNN. I can write that off to someone posting to the wrong forum in error. But the above post by one of those posting to that is polluting an on-topic thread there. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Split and moved to Off The Wall. --pjp
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
Reason: There's already an off-topic right-wing troll post in Gentoo Chat about CNN. I can write that off to someone posting to the wrong forum in error. But the above post by one of those posting to that is polluting an on-topic thread there. Thanks in advance.

Tom

I think that post is very much on topic, albeit not very helpful. Are you sure you are not just trying to cenor an opinion you don't agree with?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
tld wrote:

Tom

I think that post is very much on topic, albeit not very helpful. Are you sure you are not just trying to cenor an opinion you don't agree with?
Is there a known link to state sponsored tracking? The post is mostly if not completely political (I skimmed most of it), which is not related to Fedora or some other software implementing a UUID mechanism. The political discussion would almost certainly derail the thread, stifling discussion about the original topic. As such, that seems to make it not appropriate for that thread. Purely political subjects do not belong outside of Off The Wall.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thread was about the desirability of having state tracking installed, so it was de facto political. Just my two cents. I'm don't feel strongly about this. I just hate to see non-spam labeled as spam. Cutting it out as too political is okay by me. I'm not very political and don't neccesarily agree with the poster. Nor disagree.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Well, the thread was about the desirability of having state tracking installed, so it was de facto political. Just my two cents. I'm don't feel strongly about this. I just hate to see non-spam labeled as spam. Cutting it out as too political is okay by me. I'm not very political and don't neccesarily agree with the poster. Nor disagree.
The original reference mentions nothing about state tracking, nor does the linked article. While the reporter of the post appears to have had an ideological reaction to the post's content, the report feature isn't solely for spam.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
The original reference mentions nothing about state tracking, nor does the linked article. While the reporter of the post appears to have had an ideological reaction to the post's content, the report feature isn't solely for spam.

OK, I was reading the split title, my bad. Concern in thread seems to be about corporate tracking. I'm against both, so I read more politics into it than was warranted.
My bad. And my apologies, pjp.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
pjp wrote:

OK, I was reading the split title, my bad. Concern in thread seems to be about corporate tracking. I'm against both, so I read more politics into it than was warranted.
I suppose the thread also may have been arguably a bit more political that I realized. More suitable for off the wall though I'd say. Thanks! Maybe I've just been getting to damn much politics everywhere I turn.

Tom
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
pjp wrote:

No apologies necessary. I consider questions / comments on reported topics to be equally as valid as the report. My initial reaction was to NOT split the post. But the more I thought about it, the more I believed the technically oriented discussion (Fedora / Linux in general) would be lost. For example, a thread on Red Star OS or something similar would probably need broader room for discussion.

tld wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:
pjp wrote:

I suppose the thread also may have been arguably a bit more political that I realized. More suitable for off the wall though I'd say. Thanks! Maybe I've just been getting to damn much politics everywhere I turn.

Tom
I think the poster brought up reasonable points, but they were definitely going to the next level. An open source project with corporate influence isn't directly linked to state sponsored tracking. And given how much people are willing to "give up," through social media, that seems like a leap that need not be made. That said, it is a judgment call. With the near guarantee that any political discussion is going to become passionate, I very much understand not wanting everything to turn into a venue for politics. I felt that the two discussions (state tracking & foss / corporate tracking) would best serve the community if they were separated. Those who wish to engage in either may still do so. And I'd much rather deal with it early than after 3 pages of mixed content.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
Maybe I've just been getting to damn much politics everywhere I turn.

AMEN!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: