Dualboot Arch with systemd-boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Dualboot Arch with systemd-boot Reply with quote

Hello!
I'm trying to dualboot Arch Linux and Gentoo but I'm not able to get my Gentoo partition to boot with systemd-boot.

I first installed Arch, mounted the boot partition (vfat) and did "bootctl install" and filled /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf. Everything works fine there.
I then installed Gentoo on a separate partition, mounted the same boot partition, compiled the kernel with genkernel, filled /boot/loader/entries/gentoo.conf and tried booting but was unable to. I get a message saying:
Code:

Error loading /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo: Unsupported
Failed to execute Gentoo (/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo): Unsupported

Is my boot loader entry for Gentoo correct? Do I have to do anything else to reuse Arch's systemd bootloader?
Code:

title  Gentoo
linux  /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo
initrd  /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo
options cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p4:cryptroot root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot rw
Limero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dualboot Arch with systemd-boot Reply with quote

Limero wrote:
Hello!
I'm trying to dualboot Arch Linux and Gentoo but I'm not able to get my Gentoo partition to boot with systemd-boot.

I first installed Arch, mounted the boot partition (vfat) and did "bootctl install" and filled /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf. Everything works fine there.
I then installed Gentoo on a separate partition, mounted the same boot partition, compiled the kernel with genkernel, filled /boot/loader/entries/gentoo.conf and tried booting but was unable to. I get a message saying:
Code:

Error loading /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo: Unsupported
Failed to execute Gentoo (/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo): Unsupported

Is my boot loader entry for Gentoo correct? Do I have to do anything else to reuse Arch's systemd bootloader?
Code:

title  Gentoo
linux  /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo
initrd  /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.83-gentoo
options cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p4:cryptroot root=/dev/mapper/cryptroot rw

Update: I just removed Arch's bootloader with bootctl remove and then chrooted into the Gentoo partition and installed it from there with bootctl install. I still get the same problem, so my issue should have nothing to do with Arch. Are more things required to use systemd boot in Gentoo?
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what if your genkernel kernel have a configuration problem that does not make boot possible because of it? Are you sure it boot properly with an other bootloader?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: