Compaq Presario 731US
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Compaq Presario 731US Reply with quote

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up regarding this laptop and running Gentoo on it. I got everything to work other than ACPI with kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r7. I plan on writing a HOW-TO/my experience soon so everyone gets an idea of how easy it was to do :). I haven't tried the modem yet, but I'm sure its a winmodem. Maybe there is a driver out there for it for Linux, but I'm not sure, nor do I plan on testing it any time soon. The Ethernet card is detected as a Realtek 8139, and the module to load was 8139too during the install. I couldn't get sound to work in FreeBSD, thats why I came to Gentoo. I read that some people had success running the Persario 700 series laptops with sound working in Linux. So I gave it a try. Under Sound I had to enable 'VIA 82C686 Audio Codec' as well as 'VIA 82C686 MIDI'. I love the portage system. Now running the latest GNOME with anti-aliased fonts. Need to set the date again, but not sure how. I tried date -u todaysdateandtime but the system automatically sets it back. I also wish I could get ACPI to work so I can unplug my laptop from the wall and get an idea of how much battery life I have left.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Compaq Presario 731US Reply with quote

Do your notebook support APM? I'm using it in my Thinkpad and it works quite well.

If the modem is a HSF Conexant (I bet it is), you can use Conexant's drivers. There are also some ebuilds, but I had better results with Conexant's drivers. I haven't worked a lot on the ebuilds, because the sources from Conexant compiled and worked quite well.

BTW, don't forget to send your link to http://www.linux-laptop.net so they can put your page in their index. Yours will be the first 731 there.

oniq wrote:
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up regarding this laptop and running Gentoo on it. I got everything to work other than ACPI with kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-r7. I plan on writing a HOW-TO/my experience soon so everyone gets an idea of how easy it was to do :). I haven't tried the modem yet, but I'm sure its a winmodem. Maybe there is a driver out there for it for Linux, but I'm not sure, nor do I plan on testing it any time soon. The Ethernet card is detected as a Realtek 8139, and the module to load was 8139too during the install. I couldn't get sound to work in FreeBSD, thats why I came to Gentoo. I read that some people had success running the Persario 700 series laptops with sound working in Linux. So I gave it a try. Under Sound I had to enable 'VIA 82C686 Audio Codec' as well as 'VIA 82C686 MIDI'. I love the portage system. Now running the latest GNOME with anti-aliased fonts. Need to set the date again, but not sure how. I tried date -u todaysdateandtime but the system automatically sets it back. I also wish I could get ACPI to work so I can unplug my laptop from the wall and get an idea of how much battery life I have left.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think of the APM option, but I will give that a try. I'll try the modem drivers when I get a chance, my father uses the phoneline for his business so I can't clog that up, but I will try it one evening just to give a heads up to others with similar setups. I will definetly be posting my link to linux-laptop.net. I have fallen in love with Linux, again. Although Gentoo's installation isn't the easiest, following the step by step installation guide, one can have a system up and running and up to date! :)
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a page for my laptop success story:

http://www.commonite.com/linux.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: