View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: NetworkManager immediately disconnects after connecting Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm guessing this is a NetworkManager problem.

I recently switched internet providers and thus got a new wireless router. To make things as seamless as possible for myself and my family, I set the new router up with the same SSID and password as I had on the old router. Since then, however, I've been having problems connecting to the SSID I set up. I can connect to other SSIDs just fine, but when I try to connect with the SSID that shares the name with the one on my old router, it won't stay connected.

I've tried connecting using both the graphical nm-applet and the command line nmcli. nm-applet asks me for my password, accepts it, and connects to my SSID for a moment before immediately disconnecting, while nmcli goes through a cycle of connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting. I assume that both methods do about the same thing, but since the command line is easier to duplicate in text than the gui, I'll post my commands and output below.

Connecting to the network seems to work:
Code:
araucaria ~ # nmcli device wifi connect GodEmperorDrothan password ********
Device 'wlan0' successfully activated with '44808227-84f0-43da-a8e8-74be6b6bae10'.

But it doesn't seem to stay working, and cycles between these statuses:
Code:
araucaria ~ # nmcli general status
STATE       CONNECTIVITY  WIFI-HW  WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN   
connecting  none          enabled  enabled  enabled  enabled

STATE      CONNECTIVITY  WIFI-HW  WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN   
connected  full          enabled  enabled  enabled  enabled

(process:19790): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:46:11.638: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.58.2/work/glib-2.58.2/gio/gdbusobjectmanagerclient.c:1589: Processing InterfaceRemoved signal for path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/DHCP4Config/51 but no object proxy exists

(process:19790): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:46:11.639: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.58.2/work/glib-2.58.2/gio/gdbusobjectmanagerclient.c:1589: Processing InterfaceRemoved signal for path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/DHCP6Config/43 but no object proxy exists

(process:19790): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:46:11.858: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.58.2/work/glib-2.58.2/gio/gdbusobjectmanagerclient.c:1589: Processing InterfaceRemoved signal for path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/IP4Config/60 but no object proxy exists

(process:19790): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:46:11.858: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.58.2/work/glib-2.58.2/gio/gdbusobjectmanagerclient.c:1589: Processing InterfaceRemoved signal for path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/IP6Config/60 but no object proxy exists

(process:19790): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:46:11.863: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.58.2/work/glib-2.58.2/gio/gdbusobjectmanagerclient.c:1589: Processing InterfaceRemoved signal for path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/2116 but no object proxy exists

(process:19790): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 18:46:11.863: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/glib-2.58.2/work/glib-2.58.2/gio/gdbusobjectmanagerclient.c:1589: Processing InterfaceRemoved signal for path /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/2117 but no object proxy exists
STATE         CONNECTIVITY  WIFI-HW  WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN   
disconnected  none          enabled  enabled  enabled  enabled

As far as I can tell, my Gentoo install is the only device affected by changing my router. I dual-boot with MacOS and Linux Mint on the same computer and both connect to the new router just fine without any changes whatsoever. The rest of the computers, phones, and devices in the house likewise see no difference. Is there some configuration file left over somewhere or something that's hanging on to my old router's information and interfering with my connection?

I am running a kernel compiled from gentoo-sources-4.19.10 and have networkmanager-1.14.4 and nm-applet-1.8.18 installed. I can supply logs and configuration files as requested.

Thanks in advance!
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you deleted the saved configuration for the connection and set it up afresh? You can easily do it from nmtui.
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niku wrote:
Have you deleted the saved configuration for the connection and set it up afresh? You can easily do it from nmtui.

Yes, with nmtui, nmcli, and nm-applet. Deleting the saved connection doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem. When I connect anew, the problem is still there no matter how many times I delete the saved connections.
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of questions then, but first, can you connect to any other network from Gentoo?

Anyway, time for the log files! NetworkManager has a rather voluminous log in syslog (in my system -- using mlog -- it is at /var/log/everything/current). But, there must be people here who would find even more detailed logs from NM useful. So, please increase the log level. To do that, create a file called /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf, and put the following in it:

[logging]
level=DEBUG
#the default is INFO
#/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.html
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niku wrote:
Lots of questions then, but first, can you connect to any other network from Gentoo?

First off, thanks for the help, niku!

I can connect to other wireless networks from Gentoo. I'm writing from one now, so I haven't hosed the entirety of my connectivity at least.

I've set the logging to DEBUG level. What logs can I post to help? I can start with /var/log/messages grepped for NetworkManager through four connection/disconnection cycles on SSID GodEmperorDrothan:

Pastebin

Please let me know if you need other logs or more information.
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you need someone more knowledgeable than me to understand the issue from the log file. (I didn't gain anything useful from it.) In the meantime, the easy stuff:

Given that you can connect to other networks from the same installation, and to the same network from other installations, there is something wrong with the way your version of NM and your router are interacting.

What if it is a bug in your version of NetworkManager? If you are using the latest version of NM, try downgrading.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
      /* Let the manager try to fill in the SSID from seen-bssids lists */
      ssid = nm_wifi_ap_get_ssid (ap);
      if (!ssid || _nm_utils_is_empty_ssid (ssid)) {
         /* Try to fill the SSID from the AP database */
         try_fill_ssid_for_hidden_ap (self, ap);

ssid = nm_wifi_ap_get_ssid (ap);
         if (   ssid
             && !_nm_utils_is_empty_ssid (ssid)) {
            gs_free char *s = NULL;

/* Yay, matched it, no longer treat as hidden */
            _LOGD (LOGD_WIFI, "matched hidden AP %s => %s",
                   nm_wifi_ap_get_address (ap),
                   (s = _nm_utils_ssid_to_string (ssid)));
         } else {
            /* Didn't have an entry for this AP in the database */
            _LOGD (LOGD_WIFI, "failed to match hidden AP %s",
                   nm_wifi_ap_get_address (ap));
         }
      }

Source: https://github.com/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/blob/master/src/devices/wifi/nm-device-wifi.c

djhyland, from the /var/log/messages output you posted it looks to my inexpert eyes like your machine may be associating the SSID with the BSSID of the old router (or something along those lines). I would try connecting to the new BSSID using nmcli, to see if that works, and, perhaps, re-associates the SSID with the new BSSID permanently. The following link shows how to use nmcli to find the BSSID and how to connect to it: https://askubuntu.com/a/833918

Fitzcarraldo's blog
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
djhyland, from the /var/log/messages output you posted it looks to my inexpert eyes like your machine may be associating the SSID with the BSSID of the old router (or something along those lines). I would try connecting to the new BSSID using nmcli, to see if that works, and, perhaps, re-associates the SSID with the new BSSID permanently. The following link shows how to use nmcli to find the BSSID and how to connect to it: https://askubuntu.com/a/833918

Thanks for helping out, Fitzcarraldo!

Using nmcli to connect via BSSID leads to the same problem as all the other methods: a successful connection, an almost immediate disconnection, and a cycle of reconnection and disconnection.

One thing I noted is that there are two SSIDs with the same name (GodEmperorDrothan) as the one I'm trying to use. I can connect to both (and then get disconnected...) using the same password. They have almost identical BSSIDs: only the last digit is different between the two. I don't think that this is a problem, because my Mint install shows both as well and automatically connects to the second one (8C:0F:6F:04:56:18) just fine. Still, could this hint towards the underlying problem?

For the record, my old router is not powered on, so it's not interfering.

Code:
djhyland@araucaria ~ $ nmcli -f in-use,ssid,bssid,signal,bars dev wifi
IN-USE  SSID                  BSSID              SIGNAL  BARS
        GodEmperorDrothan     8C:0F:6F:04:56:10  100     ▂▄▆█
        --                    9A:0F:6F:04:56:10  100     ▂▄▆█
        GodEmperorDrothan     8C:0F:6F:04:56:18  100     ▂▄▆█
        --                    96:0F:6F:04:56:18  100     ▂▄▆█
        --                    92:0F:6F:04:56:18  100     ▂▄▆█
        NTGR_VMB_1521827683   9C:3D:CF:14:99:84  65      ▂▄▆_
        Motor1884-2.4         10:05:01:A5:48:18  57      ▂▄▆_
        xfinitywifi           1A:05:01:A5:48:18  55      ▂▄__
        xfinitywifi           16:05:01:A5:48:20  54      ▂▄__
        Motor1884-5.0         10:05:01:A5:48:20  52      ▂▄__
        XFINITY               1E:05:01:A5:48:20  52      ▂▄__
        --                    1A:05:01:A5:48:20  52      ▂▄__
        DIRECTV_WVB_2336EB98  B4:2A:0E:BA:60:46  39      ▂▄__
        Loading...            BC:9B:68:72:A3:37  35      ▂▄__
        --                    BC:9B:68:72:A3:38  35      ▂▄__
        --                    BC:9B:68:72:A3:3C  35      ▂▄__
        xfinitywifi           BC:9B:68:72:A3:39  35      ▂▄__
        --                    FA:8F:CA:5D:07:E8  34      ▂▄__
djhyland@araucaria ~ $ nmcli d wifi connect 8C:0F:6F:04:56:18
Device 'wlan0' successfully activated with '9388fc1e-d7fa-4c8e-ae21-0ff488ce59b3'.
djhyland@araucaria ~ $ nmcli d wifi connect 8C:0F:6F:04:56:10
Device 'wlan0' successfully activated with 'bb91fd9b-319e-427a-aa09-f07362d63804'.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djhyland,

You probably have a 5GHz and a 2.4GHz WiFi.

Cycling connect/disconnect usually means that you have several things trying to control your wifi.
If you stop NetworkManager and reboot, does it just work anyway?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djhyland,

If what NeddySeagoon suggested does not resolve the problem, what files are in the directory /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections?:

Code:
$ ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

Also, what are the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan?:

Code:
$ sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan

Also, what are the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf?:

Code:
$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

You wrote that Linux Mint on the same machine connects OK via NetworkManager, so have you compared the contents of the directory /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ in each distribution, the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan in each distribution, and the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in each distribution?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me out, Neddy Seagoon!

NeddySeagoon wrote:
You probably have a 5GHz and a 2.4GHz WiFi.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

Quote:
Cycling connect/disconnect usually means that you have several things trying to control your wifi.
If you stop NetworkManager and reboot, does it just work anyway?

No luck here, either. After stopping the NetworkManager service and rebooting, NetworkManager automatically connects, disconnects, and goes back through the cycle again. It seems to default to this network, even if I log out while connected to a different network.

Fitzcarraido wrote:
If what NeddySeagoon suggested does not resolve the problem, what files are in the directory /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections?

Code:
araucaria ~ # ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
'Auto Zoom'                         'GodEmperorDrothan 2.nmconnection'
 CenturyLink1787                    'GodEmperorDrothan 3.nmconnection'
'County Inn & Suites'                GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection
'GodEmperorDrothan 1.nmconnection'   xfinitywifi.nmconnection

Uh, that looks possibly suspicious. Should there should be multiple GodEmperorDrothan connections there? nm-applet shows these four as options under GodEmperorDrothan as well. I've been using xfinitywifi.nmconnection to connect while I've been trying to figure this problem out, and there's only one of those.

Quote:
Also, what are the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan?

I'm posting GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection since I don't have a file without the extension:

Code:
araucaria ~ # cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection
[connection]
id=GodEmperorDrothan
uuid=dc8603d7-2ace-4b82-a96a-a1282853ab50
type=wifi
permissions=

[wifi]
mac-address=18:56:80:70:95:BD
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=infrastructure
ssid=GodEmperorDrothan

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=********

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

The other versions of GodEmperorDrothan *.nmconnection look to be the same, except for having different UUIDs.

If it helps, here's the contents of the working GodEmperorDrothan (this one doesn't have the .nmconnection extension) from my Mint, uh, Ubuntu install (I know I said Mint before...I remembered incorrectly):

Code:
araucaria ~ # cat /media/ubuntu/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan
[connection]
id=GodEmperorDrothan
uuid=45cd4ebb-1885-4386-a1aa-916d3805a940
type=wifi
permissions=user:ubuntu-mate:;

[wifi]
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=infrastructure
ssid=GodEmperorDrothan

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=********

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
dns-search=
method=auto

The difference, besides having a different UUID, looks to be that the working configuration has "permissions=user:ubuntu-mate:;", whereas the non-working configuration has "permissions=". Somehow, did I lose the needed authorization when I changed routers?

And from the working xfinitywifi.nmconnection on my Gentoo install, that I'm using to connect while trying to fix GodEmperorDrothan:

Code:
araucaria ~ # cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/xfinitywifi.nmconnection
[connection]
id=xfinitywifi
uuid=94831f07-bb14-46b4-8595-8ce5bd1ea668
type=wifi
permissions=user:djhyland:;

[wifi]
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=infrastructure
ssid=xfinitywifi

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
dns-search=
method=auto

This network has no security, and so no password information, but I notice that it has a non-empty permissions line as well: "permissions=user:djhyland:;".

Quote:
Also, what are the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf?

It's just what I put in to enable debug-level logging as per niku's suggestion upthread. Before that, I didn't have a /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file.

Code:
araucaria ~ # cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[logging]
level=DEBUG
#the default is INFO
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
You wrote that Linux Mint on the same machine connects OK via NetworkManager, so have you compared the contents of the directory /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ in each distribution, the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan in each distribution, and the contents of the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf in each distribution?

I've posted /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan* from both distros in my last post, and the only appreciable difference was the permissions line. After backing up the original GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection and changing the permissions to correspond to the permissions in the working xfinitywifi.nmconnection (e.g. "permissions=user:djhyland:;), I tried again but found no change in behavior.

As for the other two, here's what I have.

Gentoo, not working:

Code:
'Auto Zoom'                         'GodEmperorDrothan 3.nmconnection'
 CenturyLink1787                     GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection
'County Inn & Suites'                GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection.backup
'GodEmperorDrothan 1.nmconnection'   xfinitywifi.nmconnection
'GodEmperorDrothan 2.nmconnection'

Code:
araucaria ~ # cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[logging]
level=DEBUG
#the default is INFO

Ubuntu, working:

Code:
araucaria ~ # ls /media/ubuntu/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
 GodEmperorDrothan  'GodEmperorDrothan 1'  'GodEmperorDrothan 2'

Code:
araucaria ~ # cat /media/ubuntu/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you delete all the GodEmperorDrothan* connections and create a single new one via the nm-applet GUI:

Code:
# rm /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan*

Fitzcarraldo's blog
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I would suggest you delete all the GodEmperorDrothan* connections and create a single new one via the nm-applet GUI:

Code:
# rm /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan*

All right, it's a small change, but maybe it points to the problem: I deleted all of the GodEmperorDrothan connections, rebooted the computer, and tried connecting again via nm-applet. As before, it connected, then disconnected. However, this time, it stayed disconnected and did not cycle through reconnecting and disconnecting. I looked at the new /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnect file, and it seems that it does have permissions this time around:

Code:
'Auto Zoom'       'County Inn & Suites'             xfinitywifi.nmconnection
 CenturyLink1787   GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection
araucaria ~ # cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GodEmperorDrothan.nmconnection
[connection]
id=GodEmperorDrothan
uuid=f5cfe2b2-3d6a-4326-a800-71c5849114bd
type=wifi
permissions=user:djhyland:;

[wifi]
mac-address-blacklist=
mode=infrastructure
ssid=GodEmperorDrothan

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=********

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

[ipv6]
dns-search=
method=auto

So there's that, at least.

I did get an error message when first trying to connect to GodEmperorDrothan after deleting its connection files: a popup with "Connection failure" in the title bar, "Failed to add/activate connection (2) Active connection removed before it was initialized" in the main window, and a "Close" button. After clicking close and retrying, I got the connection and subsequent disconnection described above. I'd guess that this was because there was no longer a connection file on the first try, but I guess it could point to a different problem.
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that some other program, as is here, is trying to control the same interface? (Though why would the problem show up only after changing your hardware?) Even so, what is the output of
Code:
rc-update show default

By the way, if downgrading, it may make sense to first downgrade to the exact version Ubuntu is using. (If that works, you could next try the next-to-the-highest version available.) I am not certain of the canonical way to do this in Gentoo, but this would work: If the version of NetworkManager you are using in Ubuntu is 1.12.0, you'd add `>net-misc/networkmanager-1.12.0' to /etc/portarge/package.mask.
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niku wrote:
Could it be that some other program, as is here, is trying to control the same interface? (Though why would the problem show up only after changing your hardware?) Even so, what is the output of
Code:
rc-update show default

By the way, if downgrading, it may make sense to first downgrade to the exact version Ubuntu is using. (If that works, you could next try the next-to-the-highest version available.) I am not certain of the canonical way to do this in Gentoo, but this would work: If the version of NetworkManager you are using in Ubuntu is 1.12.0, you'd add `>net-misc/networkmanager-1.12.0' to /etc/portarge/package.mask.

I don't think that any of the other services running are interfering with NetworkManager. At least, none of the usual suspects listed in the Arch forum thread you linked are there, and the others ones I do have running seem unrelated:
Code:
araucaria ~ # rc-update show default
       NetworkManager | default
                acpid | default
                  atd | default
           consolekit | default
                cupsd | default
                 dbus | default
          laptop_mode | default
                local | default
             netmount | default
               pommed | default
            syslog-ng | default
           vixie-cron | default
                  xdm | default

I looked and saw that my Ubuntu install has version 1.10.6 of network-manager. Gentoo doesn't seem to have anything older than the currently-installed net-misc/networkmanager-1.14.4 available in its official repos, though, so I haven't tried downgrading.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djhyland,

Remove NetworkManager from the default runlevel, reboot and see what happens.
Your dmesg from that restart will be very useful.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
djhyland,

Remove NetworkManager from the default runlevel, reboot and see what happens.
Your dmesg from that restart will be very useful.

Here's my /var/log/dmesg after rebooting with NetworkManager removed from the default runlevel:

Pastebin
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Keep networkmanager disabled, and have wpa_supplicant directly control the interface.
Check this or this, and there is a gui for that too! (wpa_gui)

It would, at least, simplify the problem.

2) Check if you had added something at /etc/wpa_supplicant/* and /etc/conf.d/wpa_supplicant/* (and forgot about it).

For completion, try this too: temporarily change your router's name. (ESSID) (So that all saved configurations, everywhere, can be ruled out.)

3) The dmesg shows nothing useful.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djhyland,

There are good points and bad points in dmesg.

The kernel driver and firmware load, as expected
The interface wlan0 never appears so it can't be brought up by anything.
That was unexpected.

I was half expecting this test to demonstrate that Wifi worked, thus there was something else trying to control it.
After
Code:
[   10.983713] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-mvm-rs'
wifi does not appear.

What does dmesg look like after a reboot and a couple of up/down wifi cycles with NetWorkManager back in the default runlevel?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The interface wlan0 never appears so it can't be brought up by anything.

In my dmesg too, wlan0 never shows up by itself. After the ieee80211 line, the next reference to the wireless interface is:
Code:
[    4.811843] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0 wlp8s0: renamed from wlan0

And the one after that is:
Code:
[   14.128013] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlp8s0: link is not ready
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niku,

Code:
means that wlan0 was already there, or it could not have been renamed.
Are you sure you don't have a wlan0 at all?

I guess that djhyland is using one of the methods to prevent network interface renaming as his/her eth0 is not renamed.
eth0 is there. wlan0 should be too or it could not be used at all.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
niku,

Code:
means that wlan0 was already there, or it could not have been renamed.
Are you sure you don't have a wlan0 at all?

Yeah, verbatim:

Code:
[    4.591719] iwlwifi 0000:08:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N
 2230 BGN, REV=0xC8
[    4.627219] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-agn-rs'
[    4.630150] r8169 0000:02:00.0 enp2s0: renamed from eth0
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niku,

That's odd. Does your eth0 appear anywhere else, other than the renamed line?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
niku
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
niku,

That's odd. Does your eth0 appear anywhere else, other than the renamed line?

Yes,
Code:
[    0.200453] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
[    0.200466] r8169 0000:02:00.0: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control
[    0.200987] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: RTL8168evl/8111evl at 0xffffa61300059000, 2c:d4:44:90:71:2d, XID 0c900800 IRQ 26
[    0.200993] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9200 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: