Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuri69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Quote:
You can maybe try making a PR on gentoo github, or something, dunno....

Dont bother. The maintainer doesnt answer to Github PRs. Bug reports yes, but I remember him denying urxvt patches before... anyway good luck if you decide to go through with it.

Yea, I did some googling in the mailing list and stuff. It's really stiff. So forking it (like many has done before) seems to be the only sensible way, yay...
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
And they hate gentoo, and gentoo users.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be ironic or what, but I was in their IRC for a long long time, every other question was about font awesome not working, they have numerous bug reports and PR's about this, they just don't care about it.
Reasons were bizarre, gentoo has nothing to do with any of that.

Regardless, I wouldn't bother making this ebuild if there was another way.

@yuri69,
Yeah, good luck with gentoo PR, I didn't even bother to do that, I just didn't know what else to say about your help in this, it seems there's nothing you or anyone else can do.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer wrote:
Juippisi wrote:
And they hate gentoo, and gentoo users.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be ironic or what,

man 7 urxvt

;)
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:

man 7 urxvt

;)

Ah I see now, ok :lol:

Well, interesting to see that, didn't know, wow, shocked :o

Quote:

I use Gentoo, and I have a problem...

There are two big problems with Gentoo Linux: first, most if not all Gentoo systems are completely broken (missing or mismatched header files, broken compiler etc. are just the tip of the iceberg); secondly, it should be
called Gentoo GNU/Linux.

For these reasons, it is impossible to support rxvt-unicode on Gentoo. Problems appearing on Gentoo systems will usually simply be ignored unless they can be reproduced on non-Gentoo systems.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that upstream says all Gentoo systems are broken and unsupportable, shouldn't this package be removed from Portage as broken and unsupported upstream? ;)
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Given that upstream says all Gentoo systems are broken and unsupportable, shouldn't this package be removed from Portage as broken and unsupported upstream? ;)

Noooooooo~

I love urxvt
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

Maybe it should be considered :idea:

I switched to simple terminal (x11-terms/st) , so simple, powerful and effective, suckless is their moto :D

Gentoo dev team did a great job with savedconfig USE flag, makes life easier :)
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to urxvt, you can't beat it, a real champ!

Especially if you open many terminal windows, daemon->client thing is a resource saver, instead of having 15MB+ of memory for each terminal window you have only 20MB for daemon and that's it.

As a bonus, no composite manager is needed for transparency.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kajzer

Can you help me to figure this out, how do you install Nerd fonts properly? I installed a few regularly with emerge fontname, but when I do "fc-list | grep Nerd" it outputs nothing.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull wrote:
Hi kajzer

Can you help me to figure this out, how do you install Nerd fonts properly? I installed a few regularly with emerge fontname, but when I do "fc-list | grep Nerd" it outputs nothing.

Hi,

I don't know if it's proper but what I do is I download zip files of each font I like and I just put them in /usr/share/fonts/nerd-fonts/
From here: https://github.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts/releases
Just scroll down a little and you will see zip files
"fc-list | grep Nerd" gives the output and lists the fonts
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is definitely incorrect. If you're putting things in /usr other than /usr/local, then you ought to be putting them under control of the package manager. If unzipping is all that is required, an ebuild wrapper should be trivial to write.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer
Do you know what
Code:
add-space-to-extent_test_chars.patch
font-width-fix.patch
line-spacing-fix.patch
rxvt-unicode-9.06-case-insensitive-fs.patch
rxvt-unicode-9.21-xsubpp.patch

are, are they even necessary? also sgr-mouse-mode.patch is definitely not needed, the scroll is working in tmux without this patch, if you use mousewheel useflag.
I only have 24-bit-color and wide-glyphs patches, and as far as I can tell everything is working (apart of fonts, they are ugly, but I didn't yet configure them to my liking)

Hu
Maybe trivial, but simple wget is more than sufficient, so I should put them in /usr/local/fonts right? Hmm.. no seems not to work this way..
I put them in /usr/local/share/fonts seems to work now.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't know, the guy who wrote that wide-glyphs patch had those in his package he made for Arch
I was looking what each patch does but I forgot.
Once you get the glyphs working you can exclude those patches one by one and see if you need them or not.

btw I'm not using urxvt for some time now, had some small visual issues with some apps (they are not glyphs related), wasn't able to solve them and that's it I guess.
I really doubt I'll use urxvt again.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer wrote:
btw I'm not using urxvt for some time now, had some small visual issues with some apps (they are not glyphs related), wasn't able to solve them and that's it I guess.

Can you recall what it was?
Honestly urxvt is so fast.. and also has no stupid glitches like if you do screenfetch or anything else and then resize the information isn't updated.
Also in st I had strange problem with very trivial command like this one "< /dev/urandom tr -dc 0-9 | head -c 5 ; echo" (under bash) it gave me some tr pipe error,
this must be something in the code itself.
Here are some of my tests (I didn't finish it):
Code:
|                                   | st         | urxvt    | alacritty | kitty*       | sakura*  | xterm*   | mlterm*   | aterm*   | xfce4-term* | terminator*  | lilyterm*  |
|-----------------------------------+------------+----------+-----------+--------------+----------+----------+-----------+----------+-------------+--------------+------------|
| start-up                          | instant    | instant  | average   | very slow(!) | average  | instant  | instant   | instant  | average     | very slow(!) | fast       |
| find /usr (no cache)              | 8.92s      | 8.88s    | 8.94s     | 8.82s        | 10.36s   | 9s       | 10.37s    | 9.25s    | 10.58s      | 9.19s        | 38.67s(!)  |
| find /usr (cached)                | 1.44s      | 1.53s    | 1.39s     | 1.93s        | 2.66s    | 3.54s    | 2.52s     | 1.41s    | 2.70s       | 2.63s        | 38.61(!)   |
| tree / (no cache)                 |            |          |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| tree / (cached)                   |            |          |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| /dev/urandom base32  10s          | 17.6MB/s   | 28.3MB/s | 27.7MB/s  | 11.5MB/s     | 5.8MB/s  | 4.9MB/s  | 5.0MB/s   | 12.3MB/s | 5.8MB/s     | 5.9MB/s      | 338kB/s(!) |
| /dev/urandom base64  10s          | 21.1MB/s   | 33.1MB/s | 33.4MB/s  | 13.9MB/s     | 6.5MB/s  | 5.9MB/s  | 5.9MB/s   | 18.1MB/s | 6.4MB/s     | 6.6MB/s      | 402kB/s(!) |
| /dev/zero 600MB                   | 80.4MB/s   | 152MB/s  | 119MB/s   | 101MB/s      | 30.8MB/s | 57.5MB/s | 79.2MB/s  | 171MB/s  | 30.7MB/s    | 28.4MB/s     | 1.6MB/s(!) |
| mpv --vo tct video                | arti(167)  | arti(0)  | arti(0)   |              | arti(0)  | arti(0)  | huge arti | FAIL     | arti(0)     | big arti(0)  | FAIL       |
| 1 to 999999 x9                    | 5.2        | 3.2      |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| ngn 999 > lolcat                  | 5(arti)    | 5        |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| sgn 999 > lolcat                  | 5(arti)    | 5        |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| RAM (htop opened)                 | 10.2M      | 14.6M    | 42.6M     | 49.1M        | 30.2M    | 10.6M    | 15.3M     | 4.4M     | 34.3M       | 51.2M        | 19.7M      |
| DISK to install                   | 280K       | 3.76M    |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| LANG used                         | C          | C        |           |              |          |          |           |          |             | PYTHON2.7(!) |            |
| CPU load (skip frames?)           | 2918       | 2440     |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| HDD load (skip frames?)           |            |          |           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
| bench results are                 | consistent |consistent|           |              |          |          |           |          |             |              |            |
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull wrote:

Can you recall what it was?
Honestly urxvt is so fast.. and also has no stupid glitches like if you do screenfetch or anything else and then resize the information isn't updated.
Also in st I had strange problem with very trivial command like this one "< /dev/urandom tr -dc 0-9 | head -c 5 ; echo" (under bash) it gave me some tr pipe error,
this must be something in the code itself.

Vifm wasn't using the whole screen, it had gaps, cmus also, can't remember the rest.
Nothing spectacular but since I use dwm using st is logical choice for terminal, have no issues with it.

That command is working here in st, using zsh though.
https://imgur.com/ZtHzug8

Last edited by The Main Man on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer wrote:

That command is working here in st, using zsh though.
https://imgur.com/a/zKmmV7R

Yeah it works in zsh, I guess it's because the authors of st are using it, and couldn't care less about other shells.
Quote:
since I use dwm using st is logical choice for terminal

Sadly I don't like to have a panel, or at least I don't want it to be integrated into wm which claims to be 'suckless'
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull wrote:

Yeah it works in zsh, I guess it's because the authors of st are using it, and couldn't care less about other shells.

Works in bash too, must be something else on your end.
https://imgur.com/Enl2ykM
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etnull wrote:
Sadly I don't like to have a panel, or at least I don't want it to be integrated into wm which claims to be 'suckless'

You can disable the panel, no ?
Code:
static const int showbar            = 1;        /* 0 means no bar */
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: