Installing Steam- hangs on startup [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longcast
n00b
n00b

Location: I'm in the system mainframe blockchain cloud deep-learning code-wall! Watch out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Installing Steam- hangs on startup [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I've spent more than I'd like to admit trying to get steam to function properly. After trying to install via a repo and with steam runtime with no success, I tried to manually install it and fetch my own 32 bit libraries until steam -textclient stopped asking about them. This is the closest I'm getting to the client launching:

Code:
$ STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam -textclient
Running Steam on gentoo 1.0.0.56 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1541819448)
Failed to load steamconsole.so - dlerror(): steamconsole.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Startup - updater built Nov 10 2018 02:44:20
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Checking for update on startup
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Checking for available updates...
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Downloading manifest: client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_ubuntu12 version 1541819448, installed version 1541819448
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Nothing to do
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Verifying installation...
[----] Verifying installation...
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Performing checksum verification of executable files
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Verification complete
[----] !!! Fatal Error: Failed to load steamconsole.so
[2018-11-26 21:51:49] Shutdown

I'm using a Nvidia GTX 950 with (proprietary, x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers) drivers downgraded to v390.87. This is the output I get with STEAM_RUNTIME=0 and STEAM_RUNTIME=1, so I don't think it's a dependency issue. I don't find anything with
Code:
# find / -name "steamconsole.so"
, and redownloading Steam doesn't give me this file. Where do I find this? Or is it generated by steam.sh or something?

running simply
Code:
steam
results in:
Code:
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled by the user
Pins up-to-date!

And the program hangs there.

Recommendations on what to try?

Last edited by Longcast on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

What exactly is "a repo" referring to?

I'm not entirely sure, but '-textclient' probably isn't supposed to work at this time. I can't find any information on what it is supposed to be/do, but if I had to guess, I might say it could be a legacy switch for 'SteamCMD' (although the 'steamcmd' binary itself seems to also contain '-textclient').

After (re)installing 'nvidia-drivers', did you reload the module and restart X, or if preferred, reboot the machine?
Longcast
n00b
n00b

Location: I'm in the system mainframe blockchain cloud deep-learning code-wall! Watch out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

Sorry, that was nondescript. Basically following the instructions on the wiki to add anyc's steam repository and emerging games-util/steam-meta. I seem to have have the same problems no matter how it's installed, however.
Chiitoo wrote:
I'm not entirely sure, but '-textclient' probably isn't supposed to work at this time. I can't find any information on what it is supposed to be/do, but if I had to guess, I might say it could be a legacy switch for 'SteamCMD' (although the 'steamcmd' binary itself seems to also contain '-textclient').

Yeah, -textclient just gives me more output when I run it though. Good to know. Unless steamconsole.so is only invoked by -textclient?
Chiitoo wrote:
After (re)installing 'nvidia-drivers', did you reload the module and restart X, or if preferred, reboot the machine?

Yes, rebooting doesn't change my output.
I wish I could get more insight on what's making it hang at that point, though. I'm sure it's a graphics issue- something's borked there but I can't tell what or when.
I have a similar and probably unrelated problem with Dolphin refusing to run games with the opengl backend with no more description than "Failed to initialize video backend!"
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the steam-overlay in layman? It worked like a charm for me.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Have you tried the steam-overlay in layman? It worked like a charm for me.

The output unfortunately remained the same. Was there a difference for you between using layman to install versus anyc's steam repo or manual downloading? They all seem to just grab the same thing.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Longcast wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:

Sorry, that was nondescript. Basically following the instructions on the wiki to add anyc's steam repository and emerging games-util/steam-meta. I seem to have have the same problems no matter how it's installed, however.

Okay, yeah, I asked because I've seen at least a couple of different repositories floating about. :]

Longcast wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:

Yeah, -textclient just gives me more output when I run it though. Good to know. Unless steamconsole.so is only invoked by -textclient?

I don't have 'steamconsole.so' either (and get the same output with '-textclient'), nor is it shipped with SteamCMD, which is another reason why I believe it's either a legacy thing, or/and it has been merged with something else (though some of the binary files still refer to that as well). There is also the Steam console available via, for example, the '-console' switch (it shows up in the main Steam interface).

Longcast wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:

Yes, rebooting doesn't change my output.
I wish I could get more insight on what's making it hang at that point, though. I'm sure it's a graphics issue- something's borked there but I can't tell what or when.
I have a similar and probably unrelated problem with Dolphin refusing to run games with the opengl backend with no more description than "Failed to initialize video backend!"

Hm. What does 'eselect opengl list' show? You'd likely want to have 'nvidia' selected (hoping it's set to 'xorg-x11').
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Hm. What does 'eselect opengl list' show? You'd likely want to have 'nvidia' selected (hoping it's set to 'xorg-x11')

Code:
 # eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   nvidia *
  [2]   xorg-x11

I've tried this also with multiple versions of nvidia-drivers, I feel like there's a kernel option I passed over or something.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting note, I deleted ~/.local/share/steam to reinstall everything: and on the first run this happens:
Code:
$ steam

** (zenity:5087): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Setting up Steam content in ~/.local/share/Steam
Pins potentially out-of-date, rebuilding...
~/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 823: ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh: No such file or directory
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)

$ STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

** (zenity:10643): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

The Gtk warnings are from steam making a popup box to ask me to reinstall Steam.
Steam still hangs after this startup, and subsequent runs are identical to the initial issue.
I doubt this is actually relevant, though. As a last resort I might just start hopping versions of nvidia-drivers
What's the deal with ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh being missing when I run with steam_runtime?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Longcast wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
Hm. What does 'eselect opengl list' show? You'd likely want to have 'nvidia' selected (hoping it's set to 'xorg-x11')

Code:
 # eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   nvidia *
  [2]   xorg-x11

I've tried this also with multiple versions of nvidia-drivers, I feel like there's a kernel option I passed over or something.

Dang it. Would have been too simple, I maybe guess. :]

For some sort of reference, I tend to use the latest 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers', currently 415.18 (with a GTX 960), and I have not bumped into this kind of issues. I tend to also have the Steam runtime enabled.

Longcast wrote:
Another interesting note, I deleted ~/.local/share/steam to reinstall everything: and on the first run this happens:
Code:
$ steam

** (zenity:5087): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Pins potentially out-of-date, rebuilding...
~/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 823: ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh: No such file or directory

$ STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

** (zenity:10643): WARNING **: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

The Gtk warnings are from steam making a popup box to ask me to reinstall Steam.
Steam still hangs after this startup, and subsequent runs are identical to the initial issue.
I doubt this is actually relevant, though. As a last resort I might just start hopping versions of nvidia-drivers
What's the deal with ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh being missing when I run with steam_runtime?

I might check if 'dbus' is running, though if it wasn't, that would usually lead into a segmentation fault, if I remember right-like. It has been a while since I last saw that myself though.

I suspect that removing '~/.local/share/steam' isn't quite enough, and Steam considers it unsafe to automagically reset (though normally it mentions that, if it's the case). I've only ever installed using the manual method, so I'm not sure what the best course of action for a clean install here would be.

I'll see if chewi (one of the maintainers of the overlay) could check a look here too.

I might give 'gdb' or/and 'strace' a go, but I'm not sure if you can just do 'gdb steam' (or 'strace steam'). It's not that simple for me, since I run the 'steam.sh' as I use my manual set-up that I have had since the beta times of Steam for Linux. ^^;

Also check 'dmesg' for anything nvidia related (and maybe 'Xorg.0.log' too), since you do have some other issues with OpenGL.

Last edited by Chiitoo on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With -textclient, I get the same crash so we can rule that out.

Other than that, I have no idea. We find that Steam can be very picky and fail to start for all sorts of reasons. I haven't had any trouble for ages and it still works following a client update just now. The first interesting thing I see following the "breakpad exception handler" lines is to do with controllers so maybe disconnect any you may have?

gdb can be attached to a running PID with -p if you can find the process that appears to be hanging. strace can also do the same but you may miss the interesting bit so run it with -f when starting Steam. Be ready for a lot of screen noise.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I might check if 'dbus' is running, though if it wasn't, that would usually lead into a segmentation fault, if I remember right-like. It has been a while since I last saw that myself though.

I do in fact have dbus-daemon running.
Chiitoo wrote:
I might give 'gdb' or/and 'strace' a go, but I'm not sure if you can just do 'gdb steam' (or 'strace steam'). It's not that simple for me, since I run the 'steam.sh' as I use my manual set-up that I have had since the beta times of Steam for Linux. ^^;

Chewi wrote:
gdb can be attached to a running PID with -p if you can find the process that appears to be hanging. strace can also do the same but you may miss the interesting bit so run it with -f when starting Steam. Be ready for a lot of screen noise.

Thank you guys for the suggestions, this is the log in my output when watching steam:
Code:
# gdb -p 3393
Reading symbols from ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib32/librt.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib32/libdl.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/32/libstdc++.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib32/libpthread.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
Reading symbols from /lib32/libm.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib32/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.0/32/libgcc_s.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/crashhandler.so...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLX.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libXext.so.6...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLX_nvidia.so.0...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libnvidia-tls.so.390.87...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib32/libnvidia-glcore.so.390.87...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
0xf7f80b89 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

The last line is where it stops updating. Does this mean I missed something when compiling the kernel? I'm not sure how to read this.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have printed a prompt before stopping. Your invocation implicitly directs gdb to seize the process and hold it in place until resumed by the user. If the process is hung, printing a backtrace might be informative, especially if the relevant libraries were built with symbols. According to the previous lines, the libraries were built without symbols.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
It should have printed a prompt before stopping. Your invocation implicitly directs gdb to seize the process and hold it in place until resumed by the user. If the process is hung, printing a backtrace might be informative, especially if the relevant libraries were built with symbols. According to the previous lines, the libraries were built without symbols.

Oops, it did ask me for confirmation before I exited. I'll include more output in my quotes in the future as to not make the issue more cloudy for no reason. :o
I re-emerged steam-launcher, its required 32 bit libraries, and nvidia-drivers all with FEATURES="nostrip" in my make.conf. I get the same output, unfortunately (even after restarting the X session and restarting the PC). That's probably a problem with how I'm handling it. Most of the libraries mentioned in gdb are nvidia related, so I don't know what else to emerge other than nvidia-drivers to get my debug symbols with the software.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEATURES=nostrip only works on things you compile. How many of those files are closed source blobs, pre-stripped by their creator before you ever fetched them? As said above, if you can attach while it is hung, get a backtrace and post it here. A backtrace with debug symbols is better than one without, but if you are very lucky, one without might be good enough.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
FEATURES=nostrip only works on things you compile. How many of those files are closed source blobs, pre-stripped by their creator before you ever fetched them?

Ah, that makes sense, lol. I fetched steam-launcher and my nvidia-drivers with nostrip (steam-launcher doesn't have a debug flag or anything). Not sure if I got anything from that, then.
Here's the output if I start the program with gdb, though. Not sure if it's helpful.
Code:

Starting program: ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam
../steamexe/steamglobalinstance.cpp (233) : Assertion Failed: m_NamedPipe >= 0
../steamexe/steamglobalinstance.cpp 233 Assertion Failed: m_NamedPipe >= 0
Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x5668d403 in ?? ()
(gdb) start
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y
Function "main" not defined.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) n
Starting program: ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam
../steamexe/steamglobalinstance.cpp 233 Assertion Failed: m_NamedPipe >= 0
Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x5668d403 in ?? ()

I killed it when it hung.
We have filenames, so this might be progress? What are we looking for?
Should I start compiling other libraries with debug symbols? Might be a stupid question.
EDIT: talked about not being able to find the executable before when it was right in the gdb logs, lol
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is somewhat helpful. We now know that Steam was built with assertions, and that one of the assertions failed. We need to know why the condition that led to an assertion failure did not first cause a more graceful exit. In properly debugged programs, assertions never fail, because the conditions they test are, by design, impossible if the program is functioning properly. This failure indicates that a named pipe was not properly initialized, then the code which should have reported that failure and handled it gracefully instead ignored the failure, then an assertion failed and killed the program. If those files are available to you, then we should read them to understand the problem better. If they are proprietary to Steam, then this is harder.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If those files are available to you, then we should read them to understand the problem better. If they are proprietary to Steam, then this is harder.

I can't seem to read these files, since they come from the executable, which I cannot read, unfortunately.
Another issue that could be related that I mentioned earlier: Dolphin-emu does not run games because it says it "failed to initialize opengl backend." Does steam require such graphical libraries for its GUI? If so, the problem could just be my opengl install or related.
Longcast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved the problem!
My user was not in the video group!
I saw that my emulators all worked when I ran them as root, and then it hit me.
Take this as a cautionary tale, newcomers. Read the handbook and save many hours of distress.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uff, that's one of the other things I usually think of with the 'eselect opengl' and all... but somehow forgot it this time around. Don't need to be new to forget. :]

Glad to see it was just that!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: