[SOLVED] Falkon and WebRTC...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Falkon and WebRTC... Reply with quote

I learned that, apparently, the Falkon web browser (the successor of qupzilla) would have an option to prevent webRTC ip leakage. I read that from this post here. It says that in case Falkon is compiled against qtwebengine-5.11 than that option should appear. That seems to be what I have installed:

Code:

~> equery l falkon
 * Searching for falkon ...
[IP-] [  ] www-client/falkon-3.0.1:0
~> equery l qtwebengine
 * Searching for qtwebengine ...
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.1:5/5.11
~>

However I do not see that option anywhere inside Preferences. In any case I checked the USE flags:

Code:

~> equery uses falkon
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for www-client/falkon-3.0.1:
 U I
 + + X             : Add support for X11
 + + dbus          : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)
 - - debug         : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 - - gnome-keyring : Enable support for storing passwords via gnome-keyring
 - - kwallet       : Enable encrypted storage of passwords with kde-frameworks/kwallet
 - - libressl      : Use dev-libs/libressl instead of dev-libs/openssl when applicable (see also the ssl useflag)
 - - test          : Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)
~> equery uses qtwebengine
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.11.1:
 U I
 + + alsa          : Add support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
 - - bindist       : Flag to enable or disable options for prebuilt (GRP) packages (eg. due to licensing issues)
 - - debug         : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 - - designer      : Install the QWebEngineView plugin used to add widgets in dev-qt/designer forms that display web pages.
 - - geolocation   : Enable physical position determination via dev-qt/qtpositioning
 - - pax_kernel    : Enable building under a PaX enabled kernel
 - - pulseaudio    : Add support for PulseAudio sound server
 + + system-ffmpeg : Use the system-wide media-video/ffmpeg instead of bundled.
 + + system-icu    : Use the system-wide dev-libs/icu instead of bundled.
 - - test          : Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)
 + + widgets       : Enable QtWidgets support
~>

because it could have been an option to be set there, but that was not the case. Am I missing something?

Thank you all.

Last edited by vcmota on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

As far as I can see, it's not there yet in 3.0.1.

If you really, really want it, you could use the 9999 version from the kde overlay for example.
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chiitoo for your reply. I guess I will live without it for some time until it shows up in the stable version. You solve my question anyway because I thought I was doing something wrong and/or missing something. Thank you again!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

I also got a confirmation that the feature will not be in 3.0 releases at all (not that there necessarily will be many releases before 3.1).
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are bad news... Is there any other open source browser besides Firefox, Chromium, and Opera which has webRTC leakage protection? I ask because I already have Firefox, but need a second one, which used to be chromium. But I am getting tired of the huge compilation demands for chromium (in my machine it takes up to 15 ours to compile), so falkon was my hope. I simply hate Opera, so I am kind of lost now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: