[SOLVED] Cities Skylines performance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Cities Skylines performance Reply with quote

Hello,

I'll try to be brief. First, I don't think this is a Gentoo issue, but more of a configuration oversight on my part somewhere. I run this game on 2 similarly spec'ed machines: a laptop and a desktop. The former has a gtx980m (~=gtx970 desktop card) w/ 6820HK cpu, the later has a gtx960 w/ 6700K cpu. Both have 32gb RAM. On the laptop, I run at 3440x1440 and it's glass-smooth all day long (don't know the actual FPS). The desktop, however, I'm lucky if it's playable most of the time. Sometimes if I resize the window a few times, it will suddenly start to run smooth for a while, but eventually, frame rates drop back down.

I'm using the same mods and playing the same city on both machines (nevertheless, tried disabling all mods & tried other cities). Changing the resolution and gfx detail settings doesn't do anything. Having it be the only application running changes nothing. RAM usage is high on both machines but never runs out (plus I have some swap space that never gets used). Sometimes enabling or disabling v-sync will kick it in for a while but again it's only temporary.

I've double checked my kernel config and don't notice anything missing or wrong but I can't help but think it may be here that I'm overlooking something.

I'm happy to provide any additional logs and etc...just not sure what is relevant at this time. Here is bunch of information about the machine in question (including my kernel config): https://bitbucket.org/experimentfailed/gentoo-kernel-configs/src/c351ddeee2a999bdf7c69976642a9af82b2277f5/ASUS_Maximus_VIII_Extreme_i7-6700K_GTX960/?at=master

I don't have a ton of other games to try on the desktop, but e.g. Saints Row III and IV both run great.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I've been fighting this off and on for months, usually giving up before I post but figure it's worth a shot.

Thanks for reading!

UPDATE/SOLVED: I blindly assumed the GPU I had in the afflicted machine was a 4GB card. It was a 2GB. Something I read on a random forum somewhere made me think to double check. With the number of custom assets (and maybe some mods could affect it too), 2GB just wasn't enough apparently. Fortunately, I had a GTX970 4GB card in another machine that wasn't being used, so I swapped them and now the game is running smooth as butter. I guess the renicing I mention below maybe was allowing the CPU to spend more time swapping shit in and out of VRAM?

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/cities-skylines/12489 - I have no doubt the 960 should have been able to handle it with enough VRAM for my situation.

Last edited by statikregimen on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
statikregimen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed renicing the process to -10 helped at least slightly improve playability, but frame rates still suck and still only suddenly becomes smooth every once in a while. The game on my laptop seems to consistently utilize way more CPU time than on the desktop, but I could be wrong on that - I only just noticed it maybe and haven't done any focused observations yet. I wonder if could this mean I've screwed up some scheduling settings in my kernel or elsewhere? I'm still very new to Linux kernel configuration and that's really the main difference between the two machines - they otherwise run the same software, installed/configured via the same set of notes & processes I follow.

Also, I noticed the last couple of days, the game is causing the whole system to become sluggish (with or without renice)....That didn't always seem to be the case in the past so idk what's going on even more now lol.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: