Firefox 60.3.0esr still uses ALSA?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Firefox 60.3.0esr still uses ALSA? Reply with quote

Hi.

I've recently upgraded my main Gentoo machine and I've noticed Firefox had to forward jump from 52 to 60 something (60.3.0esr actually). I (believe I) know Gentoo maintainers were holding it back because of Mozilla dropping ALSA support — I stand to be corrected on this one though. So I'm a bit surprised (puzzled but pleased) to hear sound on my ALSA only machine with Firefox 60.xxx . (I don't have apulse either.)

I might have overlooked something, I guess. What happened?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang, and here i installed pulseaudio a couple weeks ago thinking i didn't have much of a choice, because apulse's github readme is like "this is basically pulseaudio so why don't you just use it"

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
JWJones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm gonna have to try this. I have held off because of the ALSA drop, too.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
dang, and here i installed pulseaudio a couple weeks ago thinking i didn't have much of a choice, because apulse's github readme is like "this is basically pulseaudio so why don't you just use it"

Well, I feel you. I understand apulse's readme though: it just warns that a 100% PulseAudio compatible layer would mean re-implement it, which irony is to be expected due to the disruptive design of PulseAudio — or should I say the parent developer's design patterns...

Anyway Firefox is as disruptive as can be, too. The latest changes in the interface make me go nuts again. Spend time acquiring interface usage habits and *bam* here they change it all again! I *hate* that forced adaptation scheme :evil: ! It just feels like the tenants of my apartment coming down at my home randomly to reorganize my living room, dresser, kitchen, frames, lavatories, tapestry, clothes, photos, light bulbs right in front of me, forcing me to watch without allowing me to say a word 8O ! What's wrong with them!? (Mozilla, not my tenants, they don't do that, they're not insane!)

Now it's been more than a year that I've given Seamonkey a try and I must admit I've never been disappointed: the interface is stable — as in "doesn't change whenever a Mozilla developer goes nuts and ditches all the good interface design patterns that make good software desirable". It's been more than good enough for my needs.

My regular security tools are an ad blocker and noscript. Other plugins are Element hiding helper, Enigmail, Lightning, and No resource URI leak. What I like is the consistency between the elements of the suite, like F9 to bring the side panel — you still don't have that in Firefox click-o-drome (or I missed something)! Been using it for quite some time and I don't feel like ditching my user habits whenever a new version is out there. There aren't as many extensions as with FF but, hey, less temptation, less crap ;-) .

Even though it still works with ALSA, I'm not expecting that state to last. By all means, Firefox has become a bummer to me and I've safely done without so far. (Sad but they've done everything they could to get there.) Betcha can, too ;-) .
JWJones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Now it's been more than a year that I've given Seamonkey a try and I must admit I've never been disappointed: the interface is stable — as in "doesn't change whenever a Mozilla developer goes nuts and ditches all the good interface design patterns that make good software desirable". It's been more than good enough for my needs.

My regular security tools are an ad blocker and noscript. Other plugins are Element hiding helper, Enigmail, Lightning, and No resource URI leak. What I like is the consistency between the elements of the suite, like F9 to bring the side panel — you still don't have that in Firefox click-o-drome (or I missed something)! Been using it for quite some time and I don't feel like ditching my user habits whenever a new version is out there. There aren't as many extensions as with FF but, hey, less temptation, less crap ;-) .

Well, I tried for Firefox 60.3.0 last night, didn't work for me. No sound unless PulseAudio.

Speaking of Seamonkey, what are you using for an ad blocker? I was checking it out yesterday, and I couldn't find a decent one. My go-to is uBlock Origin. Last time I used Seamonkey (about a year ago, out of Firefox frustration), it seemed like there were more options for add-ons. I would use it gladly if it had uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and https-everywhere.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWJones wrote:
Speaking of Seamonkey, what are you using for an ad blocker?

Adblock Plus (version 2.9.1 on my laptop so far) and it's radically different from the Firefox extension. Maybe it's an outdated version, I didn't check. That said no ads have yet bothered me, even on Youtchoobe.

JWJones wrote:
I was checking it out yesterday, and I couldn't find a decent one. My go-to is uBlock Origin. Last time I used Seamonkey (about a year ago, out of Firefox frustration), it seemed like there were more options for add-ons. I would use it gladly if it had uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and https-everywhere.

Privacy-badger is Firefox-only, yup, oh well... :evil:

I personally made that sacrifice. I don't use https-everywhere though. Seamonkey doesn't *hide* the URL prefix so you're still in control somehow.
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from Firefox to Palemoon a long time ago and never looked back. It's in the "palemoon" overlay. I'm using uBlock Origin there.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox-60.3.0 audio working without pulseadudio ("gentoo-local" only until I'm ready to upgrade).

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] www-client/firefox-60.3.0::gentoo-local [60.3.0::gentoo] USE="dbus gmp-autoupdate hardened hwaccel jack screenshot startup-notification -bindist -clang -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -geckodriver (-neon) -pulseaudio (-selinux) -system-harfbuzz -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-libvpx -system-sqlite -test -wifi"

JWJones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
I personally made that sacrifice. I don't use https-everywhere though. Seamonkey doesn't *hide* the URL prefix so you're still in control somehow.

Okay, I've got Seamonkey onboard, with an older version of uBlock Origin (1.16.4.5) running. Life is good. Gonna give Pale Moon a go, too.

While I'm at it, I may purge Thunderbird as well, in favor of Claws or Sylpheed. They'd go better with my fvwm system anyway.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWJones wrote:
Well, I tried for Firefox 60.3.0 last night, didn't work for me. No sound unless PulseAudio.

Curerntly running utube without pulseaudio here. PA use flasg activated though.

Thks 4 ur attention.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineermdr wrote:
I switched from Firefox to Palemoon a long time ago and never looked back. It's in the "palemoon" overlay. I'm using uBlock Origin there.
Can it be built with a decent compiler already, or is it still stuck on <=gcc-5?

I switched to Falkon, and find fewer and fewer sites I have to start Firefox for. Guess I'll uninstall it soon.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
engineermdr wrote:
Can it be built with a decent compiler already, or is it still stuck on <=gcc-5?

I switched to Falkon, and find fewer and fewer sites I have to start Firefox for. Guess I'll uninstall it soon.

I keep ff (45.6) around as a backup but use it very infrequently.

Palemoon, at least the 28.* versions work well when compiled with gcc 7.3
theotherjoe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can confirm what Anon-E-moose said about Palemoon.
I upgraded to 28.2.1 last night and used gcc 7.3.
For version 27.x I still needed to switch to gcc 4.9.x.
Sofar I had no problems at all with that new version
Code:
[ebuild   R   ~] www-client/palemoon-28.2.1::palemoon  USE="dbus devtools gtk2 official-branding optimize threads -debug -gnome (-gtk3) -jemalloc -necko-wifi -pulseaudio -valgrind" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse sse2" 0 KiB
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox 60.3.0esr still uses ALSA? Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Hi.

Gentoo maintainers were holding it back because of Mozilla dropping ALSA support. What happened?

Duno, but try icecat www-client/icecat-60.3.0 ebuild or add ac_add_options --enable-alsa in firefox ebuild.

You can find it here #663292

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:

Ditto. As I recall, I did build 27.x with 6,40 but had to change the environment. You want 28.x anyway. It builds fine with standard environment anf 7.30

I found it a bit quicker and lot faster to build by enabling the various flags for system libraries.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
[...]try icecat www-client/icecat-60.3.0 ebuild or add ac_add_options --enable-alsa in firefox ebuild.

You can find it here #663292

Thanks for suggesting :-) . And for contributing 8) .

Anon-E-moose wrote:

Tony0945 wrote:
Ditto. As I recall, I did build 27.x with 6,40 but had to change the environment. You want 28.x anyway. It builds fine with standard environment anf 7.30

I found it a bit quicker and lot faster to build by enabling the various flags for system libraries.

Interesting. I now remember I stopped using Palemoon because it was sticking with older versions of GCC... which got masked by the time Spectre showed up (IIRC). Doesn't mean I'll switch over again but nice to know.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another theng I like about Palemoon is that they have removed Firefox's telemetry.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: